Karma (Reputation), Chat Rooms and Some Other Contentious Chat

Reputation (Karma) Feature - Yea or Nay?


  • Total voters
    21
R

RosieA

energy said:
I think that when the green dot is awarded, it should be mandatory to use the comment line. Like, I just sent one your way with no reason except that you're from Seymour! :vfunny: :smokin:
Hey, I used to live in Seymour when I was first married. The little man taught in Bridgeport, but no way would I actually LIVE in Bridgeport. Enjoyed many a hot dog at the Seymour Dairy Bar...worked at Issacson's department store, and the Pizza at the Seymour Pizza Palace remains memorable.

Being just down the river from Naughatuck made deep breaths a bit chancy some days...nothing like the smell of rubber in the morning.

Haven't been there since 1975, however. I imagine it has changed.
 
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

It's not as funky

RosieA said:
Being just down the river from Naughatuck made deep breaths a bit chancy some days...nothing like the smell of rubber in the morning.
Haven't been there since 1975, however. I imagine it has changed.
It's changed significantly. They were able to ignite a ladle of water back then. The factories causing the pollution are gone or are treating the water. Birds and fish are back. We catch Salmon in the Seymour section, now. With decades of unbridled pollution, the bottom must still contain nasty sediment. Let's put it this way. If you were dying of thirst, I might pause before you sip a mouthful. You don't eat the fish either. :vfunny:
 
R

RosieA

Well that's good. It was pretty odoriferous back then. But, after 4 years of college in Buffalo, it might have been a step up in air quality. That was back in the days when Buffalo had steel mills and I seemed to reside in the primaryspot where the steel mill ooze met the chemical factory ooze.

It is possible to breath very deep in Ithaca and never catch a wiff of anything other than the rarified air of academia. :vfunny:
 
S

Simon Timperley

Reputations

Can someone tell me what those three little gizmos are next to the edit button as I want to add something to Icy Waters reputation.
 
D

David Hartman

Simon Timperley said:
Can someone tell me what those three little gizmos are next to the edit button as I want to add something to Icy Waters reputation.
The left one (green) is a "thumbs-up" (at-a-boy, good job, etc.). The middle one (Orange/Red) is a "thumbs-down" (disagee, etc.). And the right one (yellow) I am not sure.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.
 
S

Simon Timperley

Thanks David...it's all very childish and I like it a lot. So I just clicked me and it said I have 19 reputation points and that something or other was even?
 

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
User 'Reputations'

Simon Timperley said:
Can someone tell me what those three little gizmos are next to the edit button as I want to add something to Icy Waters reputation.
All of this is addressed in this thread.
Simon Timperley said:
Thanks David...it's all very childish and I like it a lot. So I just clicked me and it said I have 19 reputation points and that something or other was even?
Well, I like it. The only problem is I raised the 'ante' that one must 'credit' 10 different users before one can come back and credit someone again. I have seen that folks like Claes who interacts a lot has a 'lot of dots'. On the other hand, I see some folks who do deserve a 'couple of dots or more' are not always 'given their due'.

Yes - to some degree it is a popularity contest. But - if more folks would 'give credit when / where credit is due - to a number of different people, it really might help as an incentive to participate. I feel kinda good when someone gives me a 'Kudo' through the reputation part of these forums. Claes has more dots than me so of course, I'm jealous...

...it's all very childish and I like it a lot...
So are things like 'avatars'. This isn't the ASQ forums. I'm 53 and rumour is some day I will grow up... Welcome to the Big Kids Club where we look to 'Grownups' for advice... If Kathy Beck from Stolle (American Trim) ever tunes in, she is my ideal 'Grownup'! I'm glad you 'like it a lot! :thedeal:
 
Marc said:
Claes has more dots than me so of course, I'm jealous...

I'm 53 and rumour is aome day I will grow up... Welcome to the Big Kids Club where we look to 'Grownups' for advice...
LMAO...:biglaugh: Marc... Whatever you do: Do not grow up, ok? (Here, borrow some of my dots).

Btw: My wife has always considered me to be a kid impersonating an adult. She is right, as most of you already know, and I have no intention of changing that.

/Claes
 

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Marc said:
The only problem is I raised the 'ante' that one must 'credit' 10 different users before one can come back and credit someone again. I have seen that folks like Claes who interacts a lot has a 'lot of dots'. On the other hand, I see some folks who do deserve a 'couple of dots or more' are not always 'given their due'.

Yes - to some degree it is a popularity contest. But - if more folks would 'give credit when / where credit is due - to a number of different people, it really might help as an incentive to participate.
IMO forcing someone to credit 10 different users before giving someone else credit twice is just forcefully skewing the votes, making any value of the dots suspect. Such meddling must artificially skew the results. Now, if I get a dot, I'll wonder if it was freely given or was really just given to me grudgingly so they could get back to being "allowed" to give Claes or Stew another well-deserved dot. We're dealing with personal opinions here, and if someone feels Claes is due 3 dots for his last 3 posts, but no one lese deserves a dot in between, who is to say their opinion is not valid? Kinda reminds me of... never mind.

It's your sandbox, your rules, I appreciate that. But I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth. :truce:
 
Top Bottom