Karma (Reputation), Chat Rooms and Some Other Contentious Chat

Reputation (Karma) Feature - Yea or Nay?

• Total voters

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
db said:
Personnaly, I do keep track. After all, I am the BEST poster here. I am also the most intelligent, best looking and without a doubt the most humble and the most modest. Yet, I have hardly any green dots. The current system is totally unfair, otherwise, I would have more dots than all of you combined.
I don't keep track per se. But when I'm in my CP and I see a 'Kudo' I take it personally especially where there is a comment. I appreciate that someone is thanking me for my help.

It's not a matter of being 'fair'. It's a matter of your helping someone and their giving your a 'Thanks' for that help.

Db - I'm sending you a 'Kudo'.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Hartman

Marc said:
Yup - we long ago agreed that only positive responses were acceptable and that responses would be limited to the 'business end' of the forums.

You distort the issue. You can give Mike more than one 'Kudo' or do you, as does Mike S., see less than 10 people here who deserve a 'Kudo'? From your response, I have to assume you, as well, see fewer than 10 people who are deserving of a 'Kudo'. You can give Mike many kudos. Your complaint is based upon the idea that the button will not allow you to sit there and continually click on only one person.

I pity you for your short sightedness. There are many participants who deserve a 'Kudo' but to you, you cannot give Dave multiple 'Kudos' without crediting anyone else because you have to give several other participants a 'Kudo'.

Dave - get a life.

As with Mike S unless you want to state that there are more than 10 people here which deserve a 'Kudo' for their help and participation, I must assume the forums have no value to you.

You do deserve some 'Kudos' in my opinion, but how can you be so self centered as to believe, as Dave S apparently does, that you are one of less than 10 people here who deserve a 'kudo'. That alone makes me want to cancel your account as 'Doesn't care about others'.

Personally, I take both your response as well Mike S.'s response as an insult that you both believe less than 10 people here deserve a 'Kudo' for their help and participation.
Marc,

My comments were ALL made in jest. I know that I was distorting the issue (mainly because I really didn't see an issue). Please believe me that I have seen many Cove members that deserve far more "kudos" than I, and I have NEVER been one to pat myself on the back, especially when there are so many others more deserving of reward than I.

I am sorry that you took my response as an insult, it was truly meant as a play on M. Greenaway's humorous post.

As an attempt to prove my point, I am "turning off" my ability to receive any of the green dots as soon as I complete this posting. :truce:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Mike S. said:
seems I have selfishly given him some kudos too recently as well.
You mis-state - It's not a factor of time, which you imply. You use the term 'recently' as if that's a factor and it is not. It's a factor of giving 9 different people a 'Kudo' before you can come back and give a person another 'Kudo'.

We now know you see fewer than 10 people here in the forums as 'worthy' of a 'Kudo'.

More and more I see you as a selfish person who does not belong here.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
ddhartma said:
Marc,

My comments were ALL made in jest. I know that I was distorting the issue (mainly because I really didn't see an issue). Please believe me that I have seen many Cove members that deserve far more "kudos" than I, and I have NEVER been one to pat myself on the back, especially when there are so many others more deserving of reward than I.

I am sorry that you took my response as an insult, it was truly meant as a play on M. Greenaway's humorous post.

As an attempt to prove my point, I am "turning off" my ability to receive any of the green dots as soon as I complete this posting. :truce:
I don't see a neccessity to 'turn off' your dots. PLEASE don't! I hope you don't. I believe in recognizing those who go out of their way to help people. I have visited a lot of forums with equivalent 'rating' systems and I rarely see controversy like this.

We discussed this aspect of the forums early on which this thread is based upon. We agreed that negative 'ratings' were not appreciated and we agreed that 'Kudos' would be restricted to the 'business end' of the forums because I cannot separate them.

I am not happy because of pop comments, such as from from Mike S., that the 'system' is not to his liking. In his opinion it is not 'fair'. I don't maintain this forum to satisfy Mike S.

Dave, I enjoy your posts. I enjoy many folks posts. And there are a lot of people whom I believe deserve a 'Pat on the back' - you are one of those people who deserve several more dots than you have so far. Some of this is, I believe, the system is not promoted appropriately (my fault).

I visit a number of forums. Several have a similar post rating system. Typically, like it or not, users with the highest 'ratings' are the most dependable in their responses being accurate. Heck - E-bay uses the same system and also uses the similar constraints. Mike S wants to be able to 'Kudo' one person multiple times. Even e-bay screens for someone such as Mike S to keep one person from making continuous 'positive recommendations' for a seller (which was, of course, a reaction to fraud). So - Mike S, I recommend you recognize some people outside whoever is on your 'less than ten' positive contributors list.

I do not want to get into a pissing match because of some perceived 'problem' such as Mike S. has raised. On the other hand, Claes has a lot of dots. Umm, weellll....., surprise. Review Claes' posts and he is always friendly, goes out of his way to welcome new folks, gives details - and is - well, super friendly and helpful. There is no wonder visitors give him 'Kudos'. He deserves them!

As an additional aspect, if I was logging in for the first time (just as with E-Bay), I would look to the 'seller reputation'. I see Claes's 'Reputation' in my forums and I have a certain degree of trust in Claes from that alone. If I see someone with 1 or no recommendation I would want to do more research.

Mike S: If you don't have many 'dots', it may be for a reason... I know why energy, Claes and many others have 3 or more 'dots'. You should have a lot because you DO help a lot. But I won't attribute your lack of dots to system design or limitation failures. The 'Problem' may actually just be your personality.

I really like the 'Kudos' idea when used responsibly. And we can, and I believe as a general rule we each do, give 'Kudos' appropriately.

D

D.Scott

?????????

"You do deserve some 'Kudos' in my opinion, but how can you be so self centered as to believe, as Dave S apparently does, that you are one of less than 10 people here who deserve a 'kudo'. That alone makes me want to cancel your account as 'Doesn't care about others' "

Is there another Dave S here or did I do something I shouldn't have? If I said something to make anyone think I don't care about others, I am sorry because it certainly wasn't intended. At my age, although there is plenty I can still learn, I visit the Cove to try to pass on what knowledge and experience I can to those who are looking for some help. I know I get opinionated once in a while but those here who know me can attest that I have the interest of our profession at heart. To anyone I have offended, especially Marc for whom I have the utmost respect, Please accept my deepest apologies.

Dave

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
My original post, in total: IMO forcing someone to credit 10 different users before giving someone else credit twice is just forcefully skewing the votes, making any value of the dots suspect. Such meddling must artificially skew the results. Now, if I get a dot, I'll wonder if it was freely given or was really just given to me grudgingly so they could get back to being "allowed" to give Claes or Stew another well-deserved dot. We're dealing with personal opinions here, and if someone feels Claes is due 3 dots for his last 3 posts, but no one lese deserves a dot in between, who is to say their opinion is not valid? Kinda reminds me of... never mind. It's your sandbox, your rules, I appreciate that. But I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth."

Marc,

Above is my original post, in total. Never in my wildest dreams did I suspect it would cause such a ruckus! Good grief, I made a comment, which I thought was allowed here. You sought out comments on the CB forums!

As anyone objective can see, I NEVER said that no more than "10 folks in these forums as deserving of a 'Thanks'". Read that again, I never said it, period. You are the one who cooked this up by your wrong interpretation of my post. My point was that someone, anyone, could make 2 posts within, say a few hours of each other, that I felt deserved a dot, but I could not give them a dot for each post unless I had found 10 other people during those few hours to give dots to in between. That's all.

I did say "...if I get a dot, I'll wonder if it was freely given..." but my point wasn't about me, or how many dots I get. To tell the God's honest truth I had not looked at my "dots" for over a month, and had forgotten how to, until I went to the user control panel this morning and saw I had gotten a few in early October which was news to me. As I said before, sometimes I forget about the dot option altogether. Heck, why not take a look in your software and see how many people I gave dots to and when I did it and post it here -- it will show that I sometimes go a long time forgetting it, and have spread many dots around, including to you several times.

And I NEVER said my posts or contributions are better than anyone elses.

You seem to constantly feel the need to repeatedly convince people that I am "selfish", have a "problem personality", that I'm a "whiner", don't "like or apprciate others who do not 'think' as (I) do", have no sense of "fair play", "does not belong here," that I engage in "depreciating others and trying to maintain a sense of superiority," etc. etc. ad nauseum. If I am truly so anti-social and nasty and evil, shouldn't the intelligent Cove folks realize this themselves without the need for you to write post after post trying to convince them? Why exactly do you feel the need to denigrate me, mis-interpret my posts, call me names? I get all this, and my contributor's access stopped, simply for posting a simple opinion? Nah, I think you were looking for some excuse to go off on me, because my post was not inflammatory nor personally attacking -- it certainly did not warrant your repeated angry attacks on me IMO.

But while I will miss the contributors access which you took from me so I can read attachments and comment on, or use, them, I will not just go away as you suggest I do. See, the forums DO have value to me. And I trust the collective judgement of the Cove members and put myself in their hands. If they think I am as bad as you say, they can and will ignore me, or tell me so in PM or in public, or, if they feel that way, I invite them to PM you and tell you that they want me to be forcefully purged from the Cove. I invite their comments/opinions. If I am as bad as you say I surely do not belong among this group, I deserve the J. Wade treatment. Sure, you can of course cut me off completely all on your own if you want, I know that.

To sum it up, I made a simple comment that was wildly misinterpreted. And for it I was personally attacked as I have never seen anyone else here attacked, except maybe JW. If I was partly at fault because I did not take more time to clearly state my opinion more clearly in the original post, I apologize, but I do not apologize for the thought itself -- it is JMO, which I will have regardless.

D.Scott said:
"You do deserve some 'Kudos' in my opinion, but how can you be so self centered as to believe, as Dave S apparently does, that you are one of less than 10 people here who deserve a 'kudo'. That alone makes me want to cancel your account as 'Doesn't care about others' "

Is there another Dave S here or did I do something I shouldn't have? If I said something to make anyone think I don't care about others, I am sorry because it certainly wasn't intended. At my age, although there is plenty I can still learn, I visit the Cove to try to pass on what knowledge and experience I can to those who are looking for some help. I know I get opinionated once in a while but those here who know me can attest that I have the interest of our profession at heart. To anyone I have offended, especially Marc for whom I have the utmost respect, Please accept my deepest apologies.

Dave
Based on Marc's post, I think he meant Mike. Although, he could have been referencing Dave H, or myself. But I think that both of our post were simply nonsense things that should have been in the humor thread. At least mine were. There are several folks (yourself included) that when they respond to a thread, I make sure I read their posts carefully. You folks tend to pack a whole lot of wisdom in few words, and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. :agree:

Icy Mountain said:
Hey, everybody, let's get back to the real issue: I checked my user profile and Simon still hasn't figured out how to give me any more green dots. Somebody help him....Gimme my green dots, Gimme my green dots.. :biglaugh:
I hope that no one here took this as a serious solicitation for 'kudos'. I offer my most humble apologies if it was misinterpreted as a plea. For those of you who have read my posts, you know I often use "humorous" creativity to make a point. I was trying to diffuse the situation here with a little over-the-top self-centeredness (thus the "biglaugh" guy at the end). I really didn't think the original post that Simon was aiming at was all that "kudo-worthy", but :biglaugh: gimme those green dots...gimme those green dots :biglaugh:

E

energy

Just being me

JMHO :smokin:

Having been away from the Cove due to technical problems, I am just now catching up on some topics. May as well jump right into this one. The dots. The dreaded dots. As I have said before, it makes no difference to me whether I have any or lots of them (red or green). Never consider them. But, like Marc, I enjoy seeing the personal comment from a member who decided to award one.
Now, the 10 to 1 rule. I agree with Mike S. on this, to the extent that I will not search for other posts so that I can give a dot to someone who has inspired me to think about kudos, in the first place. That does not mean that other posts are not worthy. It just means that I will not search, (who has the time?) for other members to dole out equal amounts of candy to just so I can give kudos to the member who prompted me to use the function in the first place. I just don’t award any. I may PM that person and say nice things.
I know the intent is to prevent any display of favoritism toward any member from a group of other members bent on artificially inflating his/her numbers.
After all, isn’t that what happened with the “Poster of the Year” thread? Even though members had only one vote, some considered that the member who ended up with the most votes did not possess the traits one would expect to obtain such a title. Tough. As has been said, even this is a personality thing. I remember in school you weren’t allowed to publicly share anything with a friend unless you had enough for everybody in the class. You could give the teacher a present, though.
This dot thing means nothing. Do you like someone’s post? Does it just happen to be the same person? Someone that just gets to you more than others? Try to dot them. Use the remarks section to let them know why. If you can’t, PM them and tell them what you liked about their post. So the whole Q world doesn’t see it. So what? Does it really matter? When the day is over, do we lay in bed tossing and turning because we didn’t get any dots? If you look at the original poll, the choice that it would create problems was probably the correct one.

To suggest that any member who feels that the dot system is cumbersome and inhibits them from expressing satisfaction with another member’s post without doling out dots to nine other members to do it, somehow says that there are not ten other posts worth awarding, is, well, worth a red dot. ;) I won’t do it, either. Peace y’all. Incoming!!!

Top Bottom