Karma (Reputation), Chat Rooms and Some Other Contentious Chat

Reputation (Karma) Feature - Yea or Nay?

• Total voters
L

little__cee

More on acronym

I'm pretty sure "beyond all recognition" is the BAR part of that word you were trying to clarify...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Nah

mshell said:
I agree, I do not have time to spend in a chat room but with the forums, I can search for posts since my last visit and catch up on things rather quickly.

Also, is it just me or have the forum responses declined (a lot) since the chat room addition?

:bigwave:
If there is a decline in posts, which I say has more to do with the topics in play, it can't be the Chat Rooms. There's very few people there and their stay is very short. Echos in an empty room isn't as enjoyable as reading "New Posts". JMO I wouldn't suggest that the Chat Rooms are somehow drawing members away from the business at hand.:cool:

E

energy

Is it possible

More on the Chat Rooms...With very talented people running the site, is there a way to show a number next to "Chat Rooms" at the top of the page in the regular Forum of how many members are currently in the rooms? For example, if I saw a (2), I would know there are two members in there and I would be more apt to join them as opposed to going there to see that they are empty. Probably beyond the software's capability, but it's a thought. Never know until you ask. :ko:

Randy

Super Moderator
The Chat Room seems like a nice feature if pre-arranged conversations are desired. There are times that I'd like to directly converse with some of the folks here.

D

D.Scott

Me too Randy - especially over some of the really hot topics where the forum isn't dynamic enough.

Maybe we could set up an email "alert" system for scheduled "guru symposiums on various topics. If we had a moderator, requests for topics and time could be coordinated and emails could be sent to those wishing to participate. Maybe a thread could be started which could only be used for requesting and scheduling topic discussions.
Just thinking out loud.

Dave

M

mshell

That is a great idea Dave. It would make it a lot easier for those of us who do not have the time to chat every day.
:bigwave:

E

energy

Great Idea

D.Scott said:
Me too Randy - especially over some of the really hot topics where the forum isn't dynamic enough.

Maybe we could set up an email "alert" system for scheduled "guru symposiums on various topics. If we had a moderator, requests for topics and time could be coordinated and emails could be sent to those wishing to participate. Maybe a thread could be started which could only be used for requesting and scheduling topic discussions.
Just thinking out loud.

Dave
Loud enough for me! ;) There could be a designated thread for Chat Rooms events and the use of the existing calendar function. :agree:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
energy said:
Loud enough for me! ;) There could be a designated thread for Chat Rooms events and the use of the existing calendar function. :agree:
That does make a lot of sense: use a regular thread to determine a topic for chat and a mutually acceptable time to have chat, then post on calendar. Very good brainstorming here. Andrew Carnegie's idea of the "Group Mind" at work again.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Chat Rooms

energy said:
I echo Mike, Dave and Wes' view of the chat room. I log on as soon as I get here and they are empty. After waiting a few minutes I'm gone and go the forums. It's a hit and miss thing to find someone to engage chat with. Then, what do we say? "Hello" ;)
I have phpMyChat set up at the moment but may switch in the near future to other chat software. I am working on a way to show on at least the forum home page who, if anyone, is in chat.

Chat was asked for long ago. I didn't then, nor do I now, see chat as something most people here will use. It was relatively easy to set up on the last server and this server so I installed it. I did try to make it easy by configuring it so you can just put in your name - no password is required unless you want to set up a login name which no one else can use.

I used to be interested in IRC some years back - like back in 1995. It was OK but not my cup of tea. Some people like it a lot anhd some boards even have IRC connection built in so anyone with an IRC client can chat as well, but their focus is usually gaming or such.

I do think it has its place. I don't believe it will ever be 'big' here. But it will be nicer if I can get it so that if you're in the forums you can see who, if anyone, is in the chat rooms.

For those really interested in chatting, just open a new browser window with the chat screen and leave it open and to the right side of your screen where you can see if someone enters. You can leave the window open all day (evening, whatever) if you want.

To be honest, we're really close to video-audio conferencing - chat is 'old hat'. I know on the Mac iChat, and I think AOL's chat program, are now audio-visual enabled. That I would like. I played with I-see-U (or whatever it was) some years back and it was kinda nice. White board programs also have their place and some years back was fun to use.

Top Bottom