Karma (Reputation), Chat Rooms and Some Other Contentious Chat

Reputation (Karma) Feature - Yea or Nay?

• Total voters

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
Carlos Echeverry said:
btw, What do I need to do to increase my karma? ;)
Darned if I know. . . if shows up from time to time. . .but I think other Cover's give the Karma. . .don;t get hung up on it though. . . :lmao:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
The Taz! said:
Darned if I know. . .
But I do... When other users think you have made a good contribution they can say so by pressing the Yin Yang symbol in the top right corner of the post in question (try it). You can also see who awarded you the karma, as well as why, by going to your control panel.

I use this opportunity a lot, because of the great number of good posts.
Btw: I gave you one recently :applause:

See the enclosed pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:
G

Graeme

caution - one paragraph of rant included ...

Marc said:
To be honest, we're really close to video-audio conferencing - chat is 'old hat'. I know on the Mac iChat, and I think AOL's chat program, are now audio-visual enabled. That I would like. I played with I-see-U (or whatever it was) some years back and it was kinda nice.
I don't particularly like chat, but then I have rarely used it (I don't have the time or patience to seek out chat sites) and I don't type very well under pressure. About the only times I use it is when a supplier forces me to use it to get support -- my at-home ISP for example.

Audio-video conferencing is more atractive on several levels, largely because its a more personal and flexible interaction. I have used Microsoft NetMeeting (part of windoze) a few times and it's OK within its limitations. However, I would be restricted to doing anything like that from home - not the office. At work it would require software and hardware not included in my computer "package" and asking for such is sure to bring down the wrath of the Information Technology demons. (Their immediate knee-jerk response is "NO!" and things rapidly go downhill from there ... I hope they're not logging my keyboard today ... I suspect it may be similar in any organization large enough to have an IT department that is a division unto itself.)

Even instant messaging is a problem. As for installing MSN IM, Yahoo!, ICU or any other IM client, forgetaboutit! ("After all, you can get viruses from them things and we can't allow that") [yet they refuse to install an effective spam filter on the firewall so many people get tens to hundreds of gabage mail pieces per day. :mad: ]

I like the idea of using a forum topic to set up a date/time for chat (or videoconference) for specific topics. My initial thought was that I would have to get off work to go home for it -- but then rationality hit. We have a global audience, so no matter when something is scheduled (in terms of UTC) somebody somewhere may have to take time off so it doesn't matter.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I was just asked about the Karma (Reputation) system in a PM. No manual for this software so there's nothing written explaining the entire system. These are the current factor settings:

Register Date Factor
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count
How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Minimum Reputation Count
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period?

Reputation User Spread
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again?
I don't know if this is a problem or not with the software but I have just realised that the last 2 times I have had Karma I have only increased by 1. I was 481 for a long time and recieved a vote last month and it went to 482 and today again it has gone to 483. When I vote for someone it seems to jump at least 15 points. Is there something wrong?
In addition to my previous Karma query. It would appear that my latest Karma is a black (or at least dark looking) dot not green yet I recieved a positive comment. Do you think that maybe XXXXXXXX a newbie has hit the wrong button?
You can see what users have given you what 'Karma' in your User Control Panel (User CP).

I just took a few minutes and visited the software forum so I am getting some more recent info on Karma (AKA Reputation):

See
vBulletin 3 Suggestions and Feedback - Reputations
So how does Karma work, anyway?
Reputation altering is off
vBulletin 3 Troubleshooting and Problems - Reputations

Let's not get overly serious about Karma.

Top Bottom