Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Keeping Milk for Domestic Consumption Fresh - - Ideas?

J
Here is the deal - Milk is cheaper by the Gallon but I don't use it quickly enough and often wind up tossing about 1/3 of it out when it goes sour.

Since we are blessed with folks here from many places, industries, educational backgrounds etc, including those in the food industry...I thought I'd throw it open to my good frineds here at the Cove...

What is the best way(s) to keep milk fresh?
Is it possible to "repasturize" the milk? - would that help?
Changing containers? Agitation the milk daily? (this seems to help some)

Just something for, as Poirot says, "the little grey cells", to ponder on between the second and third cup of coffee this morning.

Peace
James

D

dbulak

Re: Keeping Milk Fresh - - Ideas?

I checked this same web site about freezing milk. We used to do it when I was growing up. They tell you how and give tips on freezing it.

J

I checked this same web site about freezing milk. We used to do it when I was growing up. They tell you how and give tips on freezing it.
Interesting. I always heard you couldn't freeze milk (at least not for drinking)
How was the flavor and texture of the frozen milk?
I also note that they don't mention fat content - I wonder if 2% would fair as well as skim....

Guess Maybe I'll have to try some....

Peace
James

M

MIREGMGR

It's better for you when it's (truly) fresh. It's imperfectly sterile when fresh-packed. Spoilage isn't instantaneous, and also usually is an indicator of microbial presence of other types than those that cause what we call spoilage. Those other types may be more consequential for you. The more bioburden there is, the more work your body must do to keep that array of microbial intake from colonizing your gut or getting into your bloodstream.

Note that there are observably significant differences in the sanitation performance of different dairies and their supply chains, at least in my experience.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

James, I might change your lot sizing rule for milk.:tg:

Saying, maybe you should get smaller containers of it, and pick it up more frequently.

Instead of one gallon every other week, get a quart every three days or so. It will have the same expiration as the gallon of milk, in case you don't drink much for a couple of days.

It might cost a little more to buy in quarts, but weigh that against how much you end up throwing away, and giving yourself better tasting milk because it is fresher. :)

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions

Some old timers used to put a silver dollar in it to keep it fresh longer, never tried it myself, and I've read that a few drops of hydrogen peroxide does the same thing, although I definitely wouldn't try that. The science behind it might bear investigating though, and the WHO organization recommends it in developing countries.

Attachments

J

James, I might change your lot sizing rule for milk.:tg:

Saying, maybe you should get smaller containers of it, and pick it up more frequently.

Instead of one gallon every other week, get a quart every three days or so. It will have the same expiration as the gallon of milk, in case you don't drink much for a couple of days.

It might cost a little more to buy in quarts, but weigh that against how much you end up throwing away, and giving yourself better tasting milk because it is fresher. :)
Yes this is an obvious and good solution, but the only problem is, now that I am a full time caregiver for my dear wife, I can't run to the store as easily as we use to. The larger stores where things are less expensive are more tiring and confusing for her and Smaller "convenience" stores are higher priced and so we lose the cost benefit....

Peace
James

Hi,

I am not sure if this is useful to you. In our country we boil the milk once we receive it at home. Refrigerate the cooled milk. It may be boiled again after a day, cooled and refrigerated. This process may be continued till the milk is fully used. Normally we don't use the milk for more than three/four days (i.e. two or three boilings).

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

M

MIREGMGR

Boiling of course will expose the milk to high temperature for much longer than modern flash-pasteurization, and will considerably change the nature of the proteins (hence the "cooked" taste) and the macrochemistry of the protein-carbohydrate-fat makeup.

Top Bottom