Keeping Procedures Simple - 15 person machine shop using text procedures

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
To revisit the discussion and thoughts concerning procedures, I would like to ask a question of the forum.

As a functional base for a small 15 person machine shop using text procedures with or without process or flowchart supplements, excluding design responsibilities, with competent personnel..

How many text based procedures would you recommend?

The required

*Document Control
*Record Control
*Internal Audit
*Control of Nonconforming Product
*Corrective Action
*Preventive Action

Is it ever adviseable to keep it so simple that the only formally written procedures are these six?

My procedures are as follows

*Document Control
*Record Control
Purchasing
*Internal Audit
Control of monitoring and measuring devices
*Control of nonconforming product
*Corrective Action
*Preventive Action

I worry about leaving completely blank the following areas:

7.1 Planning of product realization
7.5 Production and service provision
8.2.4 Monitoring and measurement of product

Yet, I don't know how to approach those areas with a functional procedure.

If I stuck with what I have now and was keeping all of the records required as stated in Annex B of the Introduction and Support Package "Guidance on the Documentation Requirements of ISO 9000:2000," am I covering all the bases?

Should I cover those three areas I have in mind by building systems that don't already exist?

Should I be looking at other areas as well?

Erik

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

Dare I suggest that asking others what procedures you should have is, to say the least, an impossible question for an 'outsider' to answer.

You say that you feel you need extra procedures, then go do them. Your feeling may be based on past bad experience, gut instinct, or formal FMEA of your processes. Regardless, if you feel the need then you should create them.

I had a similar interesting question asked of me today. A manager asked me what documentation he needs for the quality system to cover his installation activities that he manages. Never has so much mis-understanding of what a QMS been rolled up into one question. Again the feeling proliferates that all a QMS is is a set of documents, and you need plenty of documents for an effective QMS.

How many years will it take to get the process approach fully instilled in peoples minds, in place of the documentation mindset ? 10 years, 20 maybe 30 ???

C

Craig H.

atetsade:

Couldn't you consider having your Purchasing and Measuring Device procedures a Preventive Action? I tend to look at ours that way. So, at some point you decided that your company's exposure to risk in these areas was sufficient to warrant having those areas documented. Just approach the other areas in the same way. The fact that you are involved in the process makes you the best one to answer the questions asked.

Hope this helps.

Craig

N

noboxwine

Leave it to me to be brief !

Do the six required, and do them well--so they add value to your company.

Do others only as needed---do them well---so they add value to your company.

You can easily tell when any parts of the process fail and need tightened up via a documented instruction. If there is a payback, do one. If not, dont.

Make all of them easy to understand and use pictures / flow charts / small words, always. Good luck and let us know how you're doing !;)

R

Randy Stewart

I don't see a problem with having too many procedures when you first start - as long as they are used and make sense. As a system matures you see where the procedures muddy the water and can back off.
Simplicity in a system should come from a good grasp of what needs to be accomplish and a strong view of the "big picture". Your processes and procedures, no matter how many, should never hinder the accomplishment of the companies goals.

T

tomvehoski

Set it up to what works best for your company. I try to keep them short and simple. Here is a sample of what I set up recently for a software client:

1. Corrective & Preventive Action
2. Document & Record Control
3. Internal Audits
4. Management Review
5. Training
6. Custom Software Development (included nonconformance control)
7. IT Staffing (included customer complaint resolution)
8. Commercial Software Development (included nonconformance control)

Everything was flowcharted as much as possible to keep it simple.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Remember the 00 standard requires only 6. You can have 6,9,27,...., if you are worried add what you need. The length, amount and detail will depend a lot on the competence of your employees. KIS(s)

gpainter said:
Remember the 00 standard requires only 6. You can have 6,9,27,...., if you are worried add what you need. The length, amount and detail will depend a lot on the competence of your employees. KIS(s)
Agreed. and with no more than 15 people involved the KISS principle can be used extensively. Remember note 2 in ISO9001:2000, clause 4.2.1:

The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to
a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.

I repeat this every time I get half a chance, because of its importance: You can build a system suited to your needs and still follow the standard.

The size of the organization: 15 people... Obviously you won't need as much in writing as a bigger organization would.

The complexity of processes and their interactions: I don't know about that, but you do. Is it easy, hard or somewhere in between? What do your staff need in the way of written guidance?

The competence of personnel: More or less the same as the above. What do they need?

There is also 4.1 to consider.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quality Procedures - General Detail Level and Record Keeping Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Keeping Employees Updated on Newly Revised Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Starting Fresh or Keeping your QS procedures? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
A Alternative to keeping hard copy records that is 21 CFR part 11 compliant Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
S Employee Training Matrix - Keeping track of employee training on various SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Keeping up with "State-of-the-Art" & updated Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 11
S Keeping track of the changing Medical Device Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
S Is not keeping inspection record an ISO 9001 nonconformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Keeping the test samples in after market nlight alloy wheel production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A What is the definition of Installation that requires Record Keeping vs Set-up 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Implementing ISO 3834-2 - Keeping the organization informed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
L Keeping current on new/revised MEDDEVs EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Requirements for keeping Records in Electronic Format Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D Keeping Same Medical Device Name but Changing Classification Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
M Keeping Packaging Material and Photographs in Sync with Inventory Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R FDA Rules and Requirements for Keeping Ink Signed Documents 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
I Keeping up with changes to External Standards Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T Keeping Track of Procedure Implementation Training Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Keeping Milk for Domestic Consumption Fresh - - Ideas? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
A Document Relationship Matrix - Keeping Track of References to Related Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Wes Bucey Keeping your cool means keeping your job Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Employee Turnover vs. Keeping up with Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
L 5S Auditing & Accountibility - Keeping our 5S tool boards complete and accounted for Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
J Keeping Gage R&R Samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
arios Keeping Records of Competence of Employees Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S Keeping Employee Self-Motivation Strong Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 23
ScottK 15 year record keeping requirement? Components for Medical Devices Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
Casana Keeping old ISO certificates of registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Keeping up with all those changes! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Keeping an External Auditor on because he's "useless"... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
Marc Paying Attention and Keeping Eyes Open - Girl Falls into Floor Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
R Keeping the Passion of an ISO9001 System - How to promote your QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
H Keeping Control of Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
C Keeping ISO TS 16949 Certification During Forced Production Interruption IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Keeping your Windows PC running Smoothly After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
A Keeping prototype devices - Is there a regulatory or compendial requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Wes Bucey Keeping the job and angling for promotion Career and Occupation Discussions 7
H Keeping a Stable Process for a company, any suggestions? Should I being doing more? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
K Struggling with keeping part-time internal auditors in our program Internal Auditing 15
T Occurance of Non-Conformance, MRB (Material Review Board) and Record keeping Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 34
Marc Contract Firms Keeping Training Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
E Record Retention - NC for keeping records longer than our defined minimum Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
G Keeping Horses in the City Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
R ISO 14001 - Determining and Keeping Current with Legal Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
D Mixed Product - Keeping one product from being mixed with similar product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
B Audit Teams - We have trouble keeping auditors General Auditing Discussions 11