Definition Key Supplier - Definition of

Where in the standard does it state the criteria for being a Key Supplier? Or is this defined internally in our QMS? Our management team is struggling with which of our suppliers qualifies as a Key Supplier.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Section 8.4 is all about what many refer to as "suppliers" . The standard does not define what a "key" or "critical" supplier is.
That's up to the organization. You don't need to if you don't want to.
Or you can classify them by spend. Or risk to business. Or call any single source suppliers "critical".
the important think in ISO9001 is to make decisions like this based on risk

L.Soad

Involved In Discussions
In my company we have like 600+ suppliers and no purchasing dept. i'm going with some critical suppliers (that will require evaluation), and non-critical suppliers.
I've defined critical suppliers if:
- supplier is in a monopoly situation
- supplier's product (or service) is a vital element of our product (laboratories analysis in our case, that we use to produce «environmental conformity reports» for the government)
- it is our IT supplier (all our IT is outsourced)

That way, we have «only» 50 suppliers that need evaluation and re-evaluation (which is still a lot for a company without a purchasing dept.)

Randy

Super Moderator
In my company we have like 600+ suppliers and no purchasing dept. i'm going with some critical suppliers (that will require evaluation), and non-critical suppliers.
I've defined critical suppliers if:
- supplier is in a monopoly situation
- supplier's product (or service) is a vital element of our product (laboratories analysis in our case, that we use to produce «environmental conformity reports» for the government)
- it is our IT supplier (all our IT is outsourced)

That way, we have «only» 50 suppliers that need evaluation and re-evaluation (which is still a lot for a company without a purchasing dept.)
Sounds good and if you've no problems with this methodology don't fix it.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
in large part depends of part/device/assembly/service they provide as well as they volume they do so, and of course the ease with which one can source the same to another qualified source

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I did not implemented this methodology yet, it is going to be hard to implement it, since it is « added extra work» for my coworkers.
I can understand their perspective...however, your role and that of senior leadership is to explain how this so-called extra work is actually value-add work...or perhaps risk-avoidance work. What happens to your business (i.e., the ability to meet your clients' requirements) if one of these critical suppliers fails to provide your organization with the product/service it provides? Hopefully, the evaluation methodology you have in place will mitigate these risks.

Now if anyone answered "nothing" to the "what happens" question, I might question why that supplier is considered critical, but that's a different discussion. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Definition KEY Supplier - QS-9000 Approved Suppliers - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Nonconformances - Key Points to ask a Metal Stamping Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M Key Supplier Risk Mitigation - Supplier Changes or wants to change Sub-Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
S Supplier Performance of "non-key" Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
F Supplier List - Do you use a 'key' supplier list or do you list every supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-12 Designating authority’s final assessment form: Key Information Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
W Key functional characteristic definition - Tolerances and Deviations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Further Analysis of Departmental KPI (Key Performance Indicator) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M What do you do for ISO 9001 clause 9.1? Key Performance Indicators ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I First Piece Inspection classified as a Key Process Input FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for the Audit Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
M Poka-yoke - Key Topics and Points Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P HIPAA Privacy - Login password or USB Access key? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M GD&T - Specific Tolerance Requirement vs. Critical Item vs. Key Characteristic Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D What are the Key Principles of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
D Key steps to OHSAS 18001 Implementation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
V KPI (Key Performance Indicators) in First Article Inspection Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P Internal Audit Scope - Company's KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Internal Auditing 7
Q Consult "GM APQP" Step1: Key Stakeholders Meeting - GM 1927-18 APQP and PPAP 5
S TS16949 - 8.2.3.1 - Processes for Key and Critical Characteristic Dimensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C Calibration Key Performance Indicator AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C Key Links (Library) to search for updated Clinical Data (Is & IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
J Attendance of an Audit - Key Employees will be Absent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
R Key Process Indicators (KPIs) for ISO 9001:2000-certified Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Interpretation of Key Characteristics in Software AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) for Telecom Operators TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
M KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for a Service Company Benchmarking 1
R Definition KRA - (Key Result Area) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
R KRA's (Key Result Area) for a QA Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
D Can we have one Key Process? AS 9100c Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q Must Support Processes have defined KPI's (Key Performance Indicators)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Sales Department KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) template and suggestions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Purchasing Performance KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Benchmarking 4
R Identification of Key Process Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Key Performance Metrics related to Process Area Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Concise History of Quality ? Major breakthroughs, key turning points etc. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2