Knee-Patella wear test

srinu

Starting to get Involved
Dear All,
We got some strange questions from CE auditor that why the Femoral patella wear test was not done?
It's really new for us,there is no requirement for Femoral-patella wear test from standards (FDA guide,F2083,ISO21536 and ISO 21534).
All those standards listed the wear test between Femoral and tibial bearing, There is no such kind of requirement from FDA also, our product has been approved by FDA.
This question was raised by CE auditor.

Please suggest to me a counter answer technically that there is no requirement for femoral and patella wear test to prove safety.

All your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
First off, I expect we'll need more info about your product. Total knee replacement? I'm not real familiar with the standards in this space so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Second, bear in mind that FDA and EU are not always completely in line with expectations. What FDA accepts may well be different from what EU requires and vice versa.

Did your CE auditor cite a standard that they felt you should comply with?

srinu

Starting to get Involved
First off, I expect we'll need more info about your product. Total knee replacement? I'm not real familiar with the standards in this space so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Second, bear in mind that FDA and EU are not always completely in line with expectations. What FDA accepts may well be different from what EU requires and vice versa.

Did your CE auditor cite a standard that they felt you should comply with?
Dear Yodon,
Our product is a Knee replacement system.
No, he did not suggest any standard, he raised a question that why not for patella and femoral ..we did between bearing and femoral.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
(Sorry, here I go with questions again.) Does your risk analysis consider wear between patella and femoral? And does it conclude that there is no risk there? As noted above, I'm not all that familiar with joint replacement devices / knee replacement devices so I'm just trying to toss out some ideas. Do you know if there IS such a standard? If so, do you know if it's harmonized? Also if so, what was your rationale for not complying?

srinu

Starting to get Involved
(Sorry, here I go with questions again.) Does your risk analysis consider wear between patella and femoral? And does it conclude that there is no risk there? As noted above, I'm not all that familiar with joint replacement devices / knee replacement devices so I'm just trying to toss out some ideas. Do you know if there IS such a standard? If so, do you know if it's harmonized? Also if so, what was your rationale for not complying?
Dear Yodon,
Yes, we did risk analysis and we did the wear between femoral and tibial bearing which is the most load-carrying joint compared to femoral and patella.
There is no joint-related ISO that suggests doing a test between the femoral and patella.

Any technical info is much useful to counter this question. Any technical persons please put your light on this topic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Question on KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis device) classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Knee Implant (Femoral -Cobalt chrome)-Sub chronic toxicity test (ISO 10993-11)choice of root Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
S Orthopedic Implants (Knee system) Sterilization Indicators Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Required Knee Prosthesis Class III Tests and Design Dossier EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Material Selection for Orthopedic Knee Implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
V Cpk Measurement for Knee Implants on CMM Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E 510k Submission Samples - Class II Medical Device - Knee Joint Prosthesis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q How do you overcome knee jerk reactions from upper management on CA? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
C QM wants 1-2-3 blocks calibrated and on a schedule - Knee-jerk reaction to ISO13485? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 149
G Optical Comparator Light Bulb Wear question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
bobdoering Is tool wear a special cause? No... Imported Legacy Blogs 0
J Acme Thread Gage Tool Wear Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
V Supplier Capability and 100% Sort causing Gage Wear APQP and PPAP 1
A Tool Wear Rate/Replacement - Turning/Facing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Standard regarding the wear of Thread and Plug Gages. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
L Profilometer Stylus Check for Wear General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Is tool wear monitoring and MTBF of machine parts considered as PdM? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Sloping control chart to take care of tool wear - Details needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Monitoring Tool Wear for Predictive Maintenance - Data evaluation methodogy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Taber Wear and Abrasion Testers Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Statistical Technique for Rating Samples - Amount of Wear on Part Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
W Characterization and Measurement of Surface Wear Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Crusader How many hats do you wear at work and how do you cope? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
D How much do western interviewers care what you wear? Career and Occupation Discussions 56
S To take into account the tool wear during calculating control limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Defined responsibilities in a small company where people wear many hats ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J SPC for hole size taking into account punch wear Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C What kind of watch do you wear to tell time? What else does your watch do? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 65
A Thread Gauge Wear Check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Short Run SPC with Tool Wear Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Monitoring Tool Wear - Seeking: Suggestions on a database for Monitoring Tool Wear Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Tool Wear Control Charts to Help Control Machine Tool Offsets Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F QS-9000 Clause 4.9.g.1 - Preventive Maintenance - Tool Wear Predictive Maintenance QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1