Knowing when an EN version modifies the base standard

rothlis

Involved In Discussions
The question is very simple: what is the best way to know whether the EN version of a document modifies the base standard without actually purchasing a version of the harmonised standard (e.g., BS EN)? I see that in several cases the harmonised standard listing will say "Modified", or "Corrected Version" - as with 60601-1-2, 14971 and 16061 - but is it safe to assume that there aren't modifications if it does not say that? Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Trusted Information Resource
rothlis,

the standards you have listed can be found here:

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/poli...onised-standards/medical-devices/index_en.htm

For most of the EN version of the standards you will find a related ISO standard in brackets. This means that the normative part of the EN standard version is identical to the listed ISO version, respectively. For medical devices, the harmonized EN stndard version only differs from the ISO version in the Z annexes which explain how the EN standard fulfills the related MDD or AIMD requirements.

HTH,

Gerhard

rothlis

Involved In Discussions
Gerhard,
I'm familiar with the scheme and I know that the harmonisation usually doesn't change application of the base standard. Sometimes, however, it does define changes (as in the examples I gave) so I'm wondering if those notes in the journal listing ("Modified" and "Corrected Version") are reliable guides to knowing whether the EN version requires something different than the base standard.

planB

Trusted Information Resource
rothlis,

I definitely know for EN ISO 14971:2012 and (corrected) ISO 14971:2007 that the normative text is the same between the two standards, and the only difference is in the Z annexes.

Likewise, the normative text of EN ISO 16061:2009 is identical to (ISO 16061:2008, Corrected version 2009-03-15). Similar for the IEC standard you listed as an example.

So the terms "corrected" and "modified" relate to corrections and modifications of the ISO / IEC standards, which of course have then also found their way into the identical (normative) text of the EN standard version.

HTH,

Gerhard

rothlis

Involved In Discussions
OK, so it looks like the listing in the Official Journal doesn't tell us anything about how the EN adoption impacts the application of the standard. I realize that the body of the standard isn't being changed with these EN versions, but the annexes definitely do sometimes change the application of the standard. I recently updated our Risk Management SOP because of the EN version of 14971.

I'm trying to avoid spending thousands of dollars for documents that are effectively equivalent to documents that we already have. I would appreciate it if somebody can fill in the following blank with an answer that doesn't require purchase of an EN version of the document:

When a base standard has a harmonised version in the Official Journal, it is safe to assume that the base standard can be used for establishing compliance to the MDD if _______________.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
OK, so it looks like the listing in the Official Journal doesn't tell us anything about how the EN adoption impacts the application of the standard. I realize that the body of the standard isn't being changed with these EN versions, but the annexes definitely do sometimes change the application of the standard. I recently updated our Risk Management SOP because of the EN version of 14971.

I'm trying to avoid spending thousands of dollars for documents that are effectively equivalent to documents that we already have. I would appreciate it if somebody can fill in the following blank with an answer that doesn't require purchase of an EN version of the document:

When a base standard has a harmonised version in the Official Journal, it is safe to assume that the base standard can be used for establishing compliance to the MDD if _______________.
I am guessing that most (if not all) esteemed NBs would require you have the EN standard at hand if you claim conformity for the purpose of ERs presumption of conformity, because formally you can't make such a claim regarding a standard unless you have it. So I'm afraid you will have to purchase even if you know that the normative part is identical.

Cheers,
Ronen.

rothlis

Involved In Discussions
I am guessing that most (if not all) esteemed NBs would require you have the EN standard at hand if you claim conformity for the purpose of ERs presumption of conformity, because formally you can't make such a claim regarding a standard unless you have it. So I'm afraid you will have to purchase even if you know that the normative part is identical.
I'm willing to argue that point with the NB if I have evidence that the EN version truly is effectively equivalent to the base standard. The problem is that I can't figure out how to obtain such evidence. Is purchasing the EN versions really the only way?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'm willing to argue that point with the NB if I have evidence that the EN version truly is effectively equivalent to the base standard. The problem is that I can't figure out how to obtain such evidence. Is purchasing the EN versions really the only way?
Good luck with that. You won't be the first.

:(

rothlis

Involved In Discussions
We've been through one submission and a few audits and the only time this has come up is with 14971, where the EN changes really do make a difference. They have never asked us to prove that we know that the base standards are effectively equivalent, I suspect because they already know which standards actually have relevant additions and none of the others we've referenced do. Even so, I would rather that we know these things before they have to point it out to us.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We've been through one submission and a few audits and the only time this has come up is with 14971, where the EN changes really do make a difference. They have never asked us to prove that we know that the base standards are effectively equivalent, I suspect because they already know which standards actually have relevant additions and none of the others we've referenced do. Even so, I would rather that we know these things before they have to point it out to us.
Well, not all NBs are the same...

If you never had any issues surrounding that, and don't plan on changing your NB, I would let it go. If you do a risk-benefit analysis, I think that the risk of getting cited for a non-equivalent standard seems low enough to leave it alone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Receiving paper from the customer and never knowing when it will arrive Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J Standards & Standard Maintenance - Knowing what the latest revisions are Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
V Process Status - Any TS 16949 requirements related to knowing the process status? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T Containment Without Knowing Cause Nonconformance and Corrective Action 28
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
M When is EN 62133-1 (new version i.e. IEC 62133:2017) mandatory in EU Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Can someone share a scrubbed version of Clinical Evaluation Plan (CEP) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Management of Software version while NB reviews Technical file CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Harmonised RED Standard ETSI EN 440 - Which Version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Informational EU – Manufacturer incident report (MIR) for serious incident- template 2020 (Directives and new regulations) version 7.2 and related documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MANUAL ON BORDERLINE AND CLASSIFICATION IN THE COMMUNITY REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR MEDICAL DEVICES Version 1.22 (05-2019) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational Updated Borderlines manual - Version 1.22 (05-2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Usable version of MDR in Word format CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
dgrainger MHRA guidance on Virtual manufacturing - version 2 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Scrubbed version of a labeling procedure that is MDR compliant wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B QRQC vs JIDOKA - I read somewhere that QRQC is like a French version of JIDOKA Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
C Has an amended version of IEC 60601-1-6 TRF been released for use in conjunction with IEC62366-1:2015? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 0
Sidney Vianna Accessing the Xenforo version of Elsmar via a smartphone Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 8
A AS9100 Rev:D in Spanish - where can I find a Spanish version? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D I heard that there is no new version of ISO 18001 OHSAS after 2017 version Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
M Which Version of 60601-1 to Purchase (IEC, EN, ANSI...)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M How to get an electronic version of IATF 16949:2016 which is Searchable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
E CER (Clinical Evaluation Report) MEDDEV Version 4 Template wanted CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
B Where can I find an English version of Japan's PMD Act? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
I ISO 22001 and ISO 22003 French version Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Referencing Standards in Procedures - Current version or actual? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K UDI "Version or Model" for Stand-Alone Medical Device Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
R IEC 60601-1 4th Edition - Is a "Red-line" version available? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Current version of EN62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Y Which version of ISO 13485 would be considered for MDSAP certificate? Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
G Insights into the 2016 Version of TS16949 (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 74
T Firmware version in EMC report / DoC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Current standard references IEC 60601:1988 instead of current version EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Medical Device Software Document released version (article 5.8.4) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
P Is an English version of CFDA YY0664-2008 available? China Medical Device Regulations 3
C Registration to the 2015 Version of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J How to document discontinuation or end of life for a software version ? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R EU updated borderline manual - version 1.16 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sean Kelley How to upload GM's MMOG survey version 4 to GM Powersupply Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
V Locking in a Standards Version (ANSI Z1.4) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Is Revision and Version the same in the Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
S Queries of new version ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S New FAA Form 8130-3 Effective 2/1/14 - Unlocked version attached Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
K Medical Device Software Version Upgrade Regulation Impact 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Zeiss, Calypso Software Version 3.8.10 Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
alonFAI Mechanical Drawing Version Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Quality Standard as part of our version of PPAP - Suggestions APQP and PPAP 1