Knowledge of the upcoming ISO 17025 Revision

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
So, second day in my new quality manager role. We have to transition to ISO 2015 by February, fine. Oh and next after that IATF16949, maybe next year and oh yeah, we want our gage lab to be accredited to ISO 17025. Hmmm, I do have a copy of that standard and I'm just starting to look into it. I hear they're changing it in October. I'm studying the 2005 version now. Anyone know what the affects of 2017 will be on the old standard? :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
If you have the other standards to work on, I'd wait until the new 17025 standard is released. I have a copy of the December 2016 DIS version, but I haven't spent much time on it since there were a lot of comments on that version that needed to be resolved before publication. If you really want get started, there's a presentation here that you may want to look at from May 2017. It will give you some idea of what's going on without being too detailed (36 page PowerPoint).

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In addition to Howste's comments, after release of the new edition, laboratories will be given 36 months to attain accreditation to the new version of the standard. So, you can procrastinate wait.;)

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I recently received my copy of the Final Draft of the new 17025 version. It is now out to be voted on, with voting closing on 10/09/2017. This is an up or down vote this time, no comments, so we will know then the final document status.

The big changes are the layout of the document (it doesn't look anything like the copy you have), and 2 options for dealing with the management system (ISO 9001 vs. setting up your own system). The revision team says:

The main changes compared to the previous edition are as follows:

— the risk-based thinking applied in this edition has enabled some reduction in prescriptive requirements and their replacement by performance-based requirements;
— there is greater flexibility than in the previous edition in the requirements for processes, procedures, documented information and organizational responsibilities;
— a definition of “laboratory” has been added

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
From ISO's press release:

The revision of ISO/IEC 17025 takes into account the activities and new ways of working of laboratories today. The main changes are as follow:

• The process approach now matches that of newer standards such as ISO 9001 (quality management), ISO 15189 (quality of medical laboratories) and ISO/IEC 17021-1 (requirements for audit and certification bodies). The revised standard puts the emphasis on the results of a process instead of the detailed description of its tasks and steps.

• With a stronger focus on information technologies, the standard now recognizes and incorporates the use of computer systems, electronic records and the production of electronic results and reports. Modern-day laboratories work increasingly with information and communication technologies and the working group felt it was necessary to develop a chapter on this topic.

• The new version of the standard includes a chapter on risk-based thinking and describes the commonalities with the new version of ISO 9001:2015, Quality management systems – Requirements.

• The terminology has been updated to be more in step with today’s world and the fact that hard-copy manuals, records and reports are slowly being phased out in favour of electronic versions. Examples include changes to the International Vocabulary of Metrology (VIM)and alignment with ISO/IEC terminology, which has a set of common terms and definitions for all standards dedicated to conformity assessment.

• A new structure has been adopted to align the standard with the other existing ISO/IEC conformity assessment standards such as the ISO/IEC 17000 series on conformity assessment.

• The scope has been revised to cover all laboratory activities including testing, calibration and the sampling associated with subsequent calibration and testing.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
:cool: Thanks everyone for the replies. Our ownership has been appraised of the details and have shelved the project this year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
BradM Where knowledge and industry meet... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
R Organisation knowledge specified in the ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge - What evidence to have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R What kind of Objective Evidence - AS9100 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Paul Simpson Does Knowledge Management include aspects of Information Security? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Audit Focus Area: Tribal Knowledge Internal Auditing 10
L Lean Book for Basic Knowledge Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
J Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
L Seeking help in Basic Maintenance Knowledge Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P IT tools for Knowledge Sharing in a large Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M BOK of Internal Auditor of ISO/TS 16949 - How to Judge the Knowledge of an Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Evidence for Language Knowledge of Employees Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
T Does Organization Size change a QE's Required Knowledge? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A ISO 9001:2015 - Knowledge vs. Competence - 7.5.1 and 7.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
V What are the elements of Knowledge Management in R&D Environment... Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
E Evaluating Lean Knowledge: Lean Philosophy Course for Production Engineering Students Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Supplier's Quality Competency - Testing the knowledge/competency of their personnel Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
V Can anybody help me to get knowledge about API (6A) certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Developing your own personal "Body of Knowledge" document. Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Y Does anybody have any knowledge in Statistical Bin Limit (SBL)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Sharing and/or Protecting Knowledge: Balance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Standardization of HR knowledge Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
J Knowledge of CAR/PAR Procedures - Should the entire organization know/understand? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ajit Basrur ASQ - Service Quality Body of Knowledge ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
T Metal Stamping Process Audit / Knowledge required! Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
N NADCAP - Knowledge of Aerospace Quality Systems Accreditation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
C Discarding Customer Scrap product without their knowledge Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
F How to increase the technological knowledge of employees? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
S ASQ CSSBB Exam & Knowledge of Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
D What knowledge should supplier and buyers of computers (public service agency) share? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A SPC Training - I want to develop my knowledge in statistical tools Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
U ASQ's knowledge center ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
S General Information on TL 9000 for my knowledge TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
A Six Sigma and Lean Body of Knowledge (BoK) Six Sigma 4
A Auditing ISO 9001 without ISO 9001 knowledge or training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
R Anyone willing to share their experience in Knowledge Management (KM)? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
A Most Important Knowledge in the Quality Assurance field - What to Learn Career and Occupation Discussions 11
H Knowledge about Lean - Applications and Implementation in Service Industries Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Govind Change in Body of Knowledge - ASQ Certified Sixsigma Blackbelt Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
B Designing a Test Part to Assess CMM Operator's Knowledge Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
G Definition Attribute Screens - ASQ CSix Sigma Black Belt Body of Knowledge mesurement method Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
Y How to use quality knowledge and tools to improve a supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Handling knowledge of measurement uncertainty in practice - Part verification Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Scott Catron Elsmar Cove Quality Assurance BOK (Body of Knowledge) Wiki Forum News and General Information 82