Known Uses of Crystal Violet / Methyl Violet?

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
Hello everyone,

This is sort of hyper-specific for this forum, but I'm giving it a shot. We had an odd mark on a product. We sent it off for testing, and it came back as "methyl violet" (also called crystal violet and a long list of other things).

It's a dye, but there aren't many sources of inks or dyes in our manufacturing. It's a controlled environment, so almost everything is made of stainless steel. I've reached out to the manufacturers of some of our materials, and everyone (so far) has come back saying they don't use methyl violet.

The last big potential source I see is permanent markers that are used on the floor. I can't find any information on any brand of permanent marker's dyes (i.e., their SDS will list the various solvents, then "colorant" or "dye"). I've found some vague discussion online that methyl violet can be used in blue pens.

Does anyone know whether methyl violet is used in permanent markers or have any other suggestions for unusual sources of methyl violet?

Thanks,
Zero Yield

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

Followed up with our machine shop to see if they use it. Thanks!
Follow up post:

1. Our machine shop uses marking blue, but they haven't done anything in the relevant area for 2+ years. It's kept behind a locked door on the other half of the building from the deviation.
2. Our lab uses methyl violet for Gram Stain testing but very infrequently. It's kept in a drawer past a locked door on the other half of the building from the deviation.
3. I found federally funded, the lovingly titled "Microscopy with Direct Analyte Probe Nanoextraction (DAPNe)-Coupled to Nanospray Mass Spectrometry for Localized Chemical Analysis of Document Inks," which explicitly points to methyl violet (under the name "Basic Violet 3") as one of the inks used in blue Sharpies. We use Sharpies (including blue ones) extensively in our process, so it looks like the most likely root cause.

Zero_yield

Well, I'll throw another one out there for anyone else who happens to peruse this thread later: Methyl violet is used extensively in surgery under the name gentian violet.

So if the issue happened during manufacturing, the most likely source was Sharpie. But I also need to address the possibility that it occurred at the customer.

Surgical markers made with gentian/methyl violet.

Study related to use in cataract surgery and another.

Dying of silk sutures using gentian/methyl violet.

Writing on the eye using gentian/methyl violet.

Use in a surgical tray for differentiating swabs.

"Gentian violet is the most common dye found in surgical marking pens."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Judy Abbott 10993-18 requirements - Well known materials Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
N The known set of all root causes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
dubrizo If Quality Objectives are not known to employees, is it a Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 7
Marc Scientists discover world's earliest known brain World News 0
kedarg6500 Determination of Metal Grade from known Chemical Composition Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Gage R&R Studies For Small Set of Data With Varied Known Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Reverse PFMEA also known as "Go and See" PFMEA - Customer Request FMEA and Control Plans 27
SteelMaiden Murphy's Lesser Known Laws Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S Six sigma for known solution or unknown solution Six Sigma 1
S Applying ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 given known lot size and 100% visual inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
P Name at least 25 out of 100+ world known personalities in the painting Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
B AS9100C Sampling Plans - When samples have known nonconformities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
H Known non-conforming samples in attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
0 Which sampling plan to use if 0.5% defective is known Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Murphy's Lesser Known Laws Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
Z ISO 9001 Clauses which should be known by every one in the organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Sampling - Clause 8.2.4 - What do the words "known non conformities" mean here? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
H Verification of a Test Apparatus by using known nonconforming part(s) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D Control charts - Seeking known data set to confirm my software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Marc AS9120 - Designed for aerospace suppliers known as "stockist distributors" Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
P How do you evaluate customer complaints? Known indicators during utilization phase Customer Complaints 4
L How long have you known balanced scorecard? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
J KAPPA Statistic - Comparing appraisers ratings to a known standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc Calibration to a Known Standard - Theory 101 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Marc Calibration is the process of establishing a KNOWN RELATIONSHIP - Traceability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc Making Your Views On ISO 9001 Revision Known ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
MDD_QNA We have a device with two intended uses and we want to remove one EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Informational How the FDA Uses Science to Speed Medical Device Innovation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G How is the labeling of units cleared for both Rx and OTC uses handled? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L PC in patient environment - BF applied part that uses USB to connect to PC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
H Classification of a device that uses an existing battery IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Uses of Medical Trays and Bowls Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
I Medical Device - Bundled 510(k) for multiple intended uses Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
K Thermocouples Hot Junction and Number of Uses Specifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q TS 16949 Manufacturing Site uses ISO 9001 Corporate Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Who uses AQLs (Acceptable Quality Level)? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
D How to verify a process that uses software to accomplish certain tasks? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
X Cannot Verify until Customer uses Product - Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B IEC 60601 3rd Edition - Test Report Form UL uses for testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B Tracking Number of Uses of a Medical Device that can be Sterilized by the User ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Does anyone know if PSA (Peugeot - Citroen) still uses the MACSI or is it IMDS now? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
CarolX Who uses online brokers? Who do you use? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Marc Who in your company actually 'uses' the Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 33
E Quality Software - Who uses software to manage your Quality System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Jim Wynne Who uses typewriters? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
M Improving the Effectiveness of a 100% Control that uses a Bore Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
ScottK Walter Reed Army Medical Center Uses Disney to Teach Service Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 24
Ajit Basrur FDA Proposes Guidance for Dissemination of Info on Unapproved Uses of Med Products US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0