KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for the Audit Process

Q

QAMTY

Hi
Does anybody could share thoughts about KPI for the auditing process?
I have defined 2.

1 compliment of the scheduled audits.
2 Quantity of findings in each process maximum = 2.

But it seems for me that 2nd KPI, it is not too much useful for the Auditing process, since nc's belong to the audited process, not to the auditing process.

Any Idea on this issue?
what KPI's do you manage?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kmyers

Involved In Discussions
Re: KPI for audit process?

Why do you need a kpi for the auditing process? If anything I may place a kpi to the corrective actions if any as a result of the findings. Meaning were they handled correctly, were actual changes made, was the corrective action verified.

Q

QAMTY

But I think what I need to measure it is how the auditing process is working.,If I measure the corrected findings I m measuring the audited process.

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions

Ok, if I wanted a KPI for an audit process, I guess I would ask what I want the audit process to do. I want it to cover all assigned areas. I want them done as scheduled or by a deadline, I would want the report distributed properly, maybe proper follow-up or communication?

Do you have a process for auditing? Have someone audit you to see if you are following the process, then use that as a KPI.

Project Man

Involved In Discussions

If the purpose of the audit is to, "add value and improve an organization's operations", then the KPI should help you measure this.
An audit should, "evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes."
You should measure two things:
1. Did you do the audit and did you follow your schedule?
2. Did you add value and improve anything? This is measured in the corrective actions

BTW - Neither of those are quantified with "number of findings".

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do metrics on assessments and audits at several nuclear facilities. All of these are designed to be used in conjunction with SPC so you can tell if things are significantly increasing or decreasing.

1. Number of audits conducted per time interval (month / quarter / year depending upon scope of program). Mostly looking for a stable, continual process. Alternately, measure number of line items (lines of inquiry) if scopes of audits vary.

2. Percent of audits completed on schedule.

3. Percent of audits resulting in findings / opportunities for improvement (whatever your terminology is).

4. Percent of all corrective actions that are a result of audits (versus self identified by the line management)

5. Percent of audit findings that are "repeat" (this can be hard to define).

6. Cycle time for correction of audit findings.

7. Effectiveness of corrective actions on audit findings (usually a result of an effectiveness review).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I have struggled with what KPIs would be appropriate for the internal audit process. Steve's examples are very good, but I would like to suggest we separate the corrective action, as that is another opportunity for KPI - especially as CARs can be issued for various reasons.

If we must make a KPI for a support process like auditing, it makes sense to ask ourselves what the KPI is telling us.

- If resourcing is the issue (let us remember the term issue is often thought of in negative connotation, but it could be positive), "Audits completed as compared to audits scheduled" seems to make sense. Let us keep in mind the result could be indicating more than one thing. For example:

--- The Internal Audit Team members' availability, if the duties are not their primary responsibility. This could reflect on management support of the program.

--- The accuracy in scheduling, particularly when concerning complex audits and the fact that a good process audit can require more time than the typical gap analysis approach used to do; especially if the process audit reveals audit trails to pursue until the issue is researched and understood adequately to determine effectiveness.

x-files

Involved In Discussions
There are several web resources on that:

"Performance indicators may include reducing the number of – late or delayed audits, incomplete audits, incomplete audit records and late reports, auditor errors, auditee complaints, and use of untrained auditors, etc."

(just google few keywords, maybe you would like KPIs' for other processes)

My favourite is "auditee complaints..."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Further Analysis of Departmental KPI (Key Performance Indicator) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V KPI (Key Performance Indicators) in First Article Inspection Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P Internal Audit Scope - Company's KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Internal Auditing 7
M KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for a Service Company Benchmarking 1
Q Must Support Processes have defined KPI's (Key Performance Indicators)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Sales Department KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) template and suggestions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Purchasing Performance KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Benchmarking 4
K Objectives and KPI's (Key Performance / Process Indicators) S 5.4.1 of ISO 9001 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 41
K KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Metrics for Management review Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for Sales Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Advice on Calculating KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Q Using KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) as Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Key Performance Indicators (KPI) specific for the LAB Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Z Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for QMS Department Advice and Opinions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in IT Environment Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
T KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 58
A Finding Key Performance Indicators (KPI) within our Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Metrics for R&D (Research and Development) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Q RMA (Return Material Authorization) KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) and Metrics ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Foreward Looking KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) - Heat Treat Company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
D Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for the Hospitality Industry Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
O Establishing the current value of KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Continual Improvement & KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) - ISO 14001 REACH and RoHS Conversations 23
R Cost Reduction Calculation Formula - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Company and Department Key Performance Index (KPI) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
V Definition Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for Internal Audit System Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
M Methods to measure Key Performance Indicators (KPI) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Ajit Basrur KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for "Improving Customer Communication" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) of the Recruitment Service Industry QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Staff KPI (Key Performance Indicator) .xls Excel format Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
V Key Performance Index (KPI) in a restaurant! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
B KPI (Key Process Indicator) for Document Control Center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Can a KPI (Key Process Indicator) be created against Nonconformances? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
A KPI (Key Process Indicator) - Cost of Non Quality Benchmarking 8
P Die (Press Tool) Manufacturing Process Key Indicators (KPI) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod On Time Delivery KPI for sales? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Level 3 KPI Excel Template Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
M QMS Efficiency KPI as a Manager. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J KPI Software - Our weakness is in KPI's Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D KPI's Data for Customer Service AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4