KPI rules for ISO 9001 first certification

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi mates,
a question for ISO 9001 experts.
For a company to get ISO 9001 certification for the first, which is the requirement related to KPI to consolidate in a certain time basis before candidating to the certification?
I know that it takes at least one cycle of mgmt review and internal audit program, but for KPI's to monitors? One year , six months? Or other? What does the CB expect to see and check?
thanks

qusys

Thank you Sidney. I thought that the CB expected to see the analysis of processes effectiveness on a certain timeframe before the proposal of ISO 9001 certification. Could you please provide some link to other discussion here in the forum?

Randy

Super Moderator
Thank you Sidney. I thought that the CB expected to see the analysis of processes effectiveness on a certain timeframe before the proposal of ISO 9001 certification.

The CB expects you to effectively implement the requirements of the 9001 standard and those that you've imposed upon yourself with your own planning, documentation, etc... I just did one last week and that's all I looked for

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi mates,
For a company to get ISO 9001 certification for the first, which is the requirement related to KPI to consolidate in a certain time basis before candidating to the certification?
I know that it takes at least one cycle of mgmt review and internal audit program, but for KPI's to monitors? One year , six months? Or other? What does the CB expect to see and check?
thanks

qusys,

I did a search of this site for you and here is one of the many results:

ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives

Why, four years later, we are still asking about KPI when no such requirement exists in ISO 9001 is a bit of a mystery. Broadly speaking, processes are effective if they are fulfilling their objectives.

Or are you wanting to measure the benefits of your system being certified by an accredited registrar?

John

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Why, four years later, we are still asking about KPI when no such requirement exists in ISO 9001 is a bit of a mystery.

It may be four years for some...and even more for others...yet keep in mind that ISO 9001 is still new to some. Might I offer that this speaks to how the standard has evolved (or not) along with associated documentation and training materials/resources provided by self-professed experts, consultants, and organizations.

Paul Simpson

Hi mates,
thanks
As others have said, it is a recurring question. That tells us that the requirements are still not understood and, like @RoxaneB , I believe it is our role to continue to answer these questions.

From my PoV the demonstration of the effectiveness of the organisation's ability to
c) determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;
(clause .4.1 c) will depend on the control criteria and on the PIs or KPIs (to the OP) chosen. Similarly, the organisation has to demonstrate monitoring and measuring (9.1.1) and analysis of data (9.1.3). All of these take time but with some criteria and indicators, evidence can be generated quite quickly.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
qusys,

I did a search of this site for you and here is one of the many results:

ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives

Why, four years later, we are still asking about KPI when no such requirement exists in ISO 9001 is a bit of a mystery. Broadly speaking, processes are effective if they are fulfilling their objectives.

Or are you wanting to measure the benefits of your system being certified by an accredited registrar?

John

It's not a mystery to me. One reason is some registrar auditors ask for KPI's to address 4.4.1.c and if you don't have a KPI established and results for each of your primary/core processes you can get into quite a mucky mess satisfying them in other ways. Been there, done that, did not get a tee shirt.

4.4.1.c
determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators)
needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
It's not a mystery to me. One reason is some registrar auditors ask for KPI's to address 4.4.1.c and if you don't have a KPI established and results for each of your primary/core processes you can get into quite a mucky mess satisfying them in other ways. Been there, done that, did not get a tee shirt.

4.4.1.c
determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators)
needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;

Thank you Mike,

It seems that KPI has become shorthand for 4.4.1c.

My clients instead specified the objectives of their system's processes and the means by which each process team would know if their process is effective or not.

Kristin Hudson

Registered
Thank you Mike,

It seems that KPI has become shorthand for 4.4.1c.

My clients instead specified the objectives of their system's processes and the means by which each process team would know if their process is effective or not.
Would that be considered monitoring? If a process objective is for example to develop appropriate planning material for a project based on client's requirements how can that be measured with a KPI? Do all process objectives need to be measured? That is where I am confused.

Top Bottom