KPI rules for ISO 9001 first certification

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Would that be considered monitoring? If a process objective is for example to develop appropriate planning material for a project based on client's requirements how can that be measured with a KPI? Do all process objectives need to be measured? That is where I am confused.

Kristin,

The key requirement within clause 4.4.1c is to do whatever is “needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes”.

This may include planning, preparing, resourcing, monitoring, measurement, data collection and analysis, correction or stopping and restarting the process (work) as necessary for the process to be effective (as in fulfilling its objectives),

Project planning (and preparation) means the organization assigns and provides the project team with the information and resources necessary to fulfill the requirements. The objectives for this planning and preparation work may be strategic for the project as a whole and tactical with shorter term reviews, planning and control.

Planning that results only in a documented plan for the project may be incomplete. Preparation (which may include training) may be necessary for planning to be complete. And to focus only on the client's requirements may omit the organization’s (and project or process team’s) safety requirements.

All this requires not a single so-called KPI, but I do understand the term KPI may be useful as shorthand.

John

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Would that be considered monitoring? If a process objective is for example to develop appropriate planning material for a project based on client's requirements how can that be measured with a KPI? Do all process objectives need to be measured? That is where I am confused.
Hi, @Kristin Hudson , I know your question wasn't directed to me but I'll provide a view that you can consider or discard as you see fit. 4.4.1 c) provides a range of options for ensuring a process delivers what is required. Taking your example of planning material for a project you could use one or a mixture of the following:
  1. Monitor the process by having (for example) a supervisor in the area periodically checking to see the people putting together the planning material are making progress and are on track to deliver the materials in line with the project timelines and quality criteria.
  2. There may be a sequence of deliverables for the planning materials, the organisation can measure to see that the deliverables arrive in time and satisfy the document review requirements.
  3. The organisation can introduce a set of process indicators for the function around hours logged/% deliverables produced on time/%materials passing the review test first time/etc.
So, in answer to your question, not all objectives need to be measured. The organisation can use a mix of tools to ensure processes are effective. They do have to do something, though.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
@qusys, are you asking about performance data of how many months is required for being eligible for ISO9001 certification (like IATF16949 requires data of 12 months)?
Or
Whether KPI is a requirement of ISO9001?

Kristin Hudson

Registered
Kristin,

The key requirement within clause 4.4.1c is to do whatever is “needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes”.

This may include planning, preparing, resourcing, monitoring, measurement, data collection and analysis, correction or stopping and restarting the process (work) as necessary for the process to be effective (as in fulfilling its objectives),

Project planning (and preparation) means the organization assigns and provides the project team with the information and resources necessary to fulfill the requirements. The objectives for this planning and preparation work may be strategic for the project as a whole and tactical with shorter term reviews, planning and control.

Planning that results only in a documented plan for the project may be incomplete. Preparation (which may include training) may be necessary for planning to be complete. And to focus only on the client's requirements may omit the organization’s (and project or process team’s) safety requirements.

All this requires not a single so-called KPI, but I do understand the term KPI may be useful as shorthand.

John
thank you!

Kristin Hudson

Registered
Hi, @Kristin Hudson , I know your question wasn't directed to me but I'll provide a view that you can consider or discard as you see fit. 4.4.1 c) provides a range of options for ensuring a process delivers what is required. Taking your example of planning material for a project you could use one or a mixture of the following:
  1. Monitor the process by having (for example) a supervisor in the area periodically checking to see the people putting together the planning material are making progress and are on track to deliver the materials in line with the project timelines and quality criteria.
  2. There may be a sequence of deliverables for the planning materials, the organisation can measure to see that the deliverables arrive in time and satisfy the document review requirements.
  3. The organisation can introduce a set of process indicators for the function around hours logged/% deliverables produced on time/%materials passing the review test first time/etc.
So, in answer to your question, not all objectives need to be measured. The organisation can use a mix of tools to ensure processes are effective. They do have to do something, though.
Thank you so much! very helpful!

qusys

@qusys, are you asking about performance data of how many months is required for being eligible for ISO9001 certification (like IATF16949 requires data of 12 months)?
Or
Whether KPI is a requirement of ISO9001?
Hi Amit, the first one you mentioned. Clearly in my view, this could be fullfilled with Kpi for each QMS process

qusys

One of the CBs that I often interface with wants two to three months of data prior to Stage 2 for ISO 9001.
Is there any written rule in CB standard for this like IATF ( one year cycle before application)?

qusys

qusys,

I did a search of this site for you and here is one of the many results:

ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives

Why, four years later, we are still asking about KPI when no such requirement exists in ISO 9001 is a bit of a mystery. Broadly speaking, processes are effective if they are fulfilling their objectives.

Or are you wanting to measure the benefits of your system being certified by an accredited registrar?

John
Hi John,
In my view, effectiveness should translated in a number. KPI is a numerical indication.

Top Bottom