KPIs and Quality Objectives: what are they and how many do you need?

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Back before we had any agreed upon quality objectives, we chose two things we could measure and and trotted them out for review at management review meetings and audits.

Nowadays some auditors want to see a KPI for each process you profess to having. Others are content with you measuring something, and that something being documented any place at all, as long as you have a target, and some actions in play to address the fact that you're not always making that target. External auditors are like blind dates, one is never certain what you're going to experience.

Rob_Kellock

Involved In Discussions
Back before we had any agreed upon quality objectives, we chose two things we could measure and and trotted them out for review at management review meetings and audits.

Nowadays some auditors want to see a KPI for each process you profess to having. Others are content with you measuring something, and that something being documented any place at all, as long as you have a target, and some actions in play to address the fact that you're not always making that target. External auditors are like blind dates, one is never certain what you're going to experience.
They might want to see a KPI for each process, but is there any requirement in the standards for this? If not, I would be pushing back on this.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Is there not?
I thought them being "measurable" & "monitored" translates into a quantifiable output? normally in the form of a 'KPI'.

This was my interpretation but I'm open to being educated.
Agree with Dazzur.
KPI not mentioned in ISO 9001 and other standards, but it is cleat that they are referred in this sense. However, each organization defines its own QMS processes and how to measure them. IATF also requires efficiency, not only effectiveness for instance.

Big Jim

Admin
Is there not?
I thought them being "measurable" & "monitored" translates into a quantifiable output? normally in the form of a 'KPI'.

This was my interpretation but I'm open to being educated.
My response was that there is not a requirement to have a unique KPI for each process. Indeed, a KPI may relate to more than one process. Although I'm not in favor of it, some organizations have a set of KPI that they apply to all of their processes.

Randy

Super Moderator
Why expend resources monitoring and measuring who cares what if the data isn't used for anything other than eyewash, smoke & mirrors, gee-whiz & golly comments?

If KPI's aren't actually used, needed or required don't waste your time with them, there's more important stuff like, "Oh no we're out of Cocoa Pebbles!!"

Rob_Kellock

Involved In Discussions
Agree with Randy. The whole of ISO 9001 is about risk management, so you need to focus measuring and monitoring efforts on the things that pose the risk.

I've seen some really bizarre procedures in management systems. I once saw one for running the monthly BBQ. The MD wanted it there to ensure it was carried out the way he wanted it done. Would you set up KPIs and monitoring and measurement of this? What risk does it pose to the quality of the business's products or services?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Not all KPIs are or can relate to quality objectives. Not a direct requirement to have a "KPI" for each process.
The question remains what other method the organization can use to comply with the requirements of clauses such as "4.4.1.c)" and "9.1.1.a)"?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
I've seen some really bizarre procedures in management systems. I once saw one for running the monthly BBQ. The MD wanted it there to ensure it was carried out the way he wanted it done. Would you set up KPIs and monitoring and measurement of this? What risk does it pose to the quality of the business's products or services?
Procedures and processes are different. Requirements are for the processes determined as per clause 4.4.

Top Bottom