KPI's Data for Customer Service

doctall41

Involved In Discussions
Just completed my AS9100D recertification audit. One of my auditors was ok with my metrics for the Customer Service Process. We were measuring OTD to the customer. The LEAD auditor flatly refused to allow OTD as a measurable because "it is not a top-line metric and it can be influenced by other factors, such as if you have to pay expedite charges to a processor in order to be on-time to the customer." I argued, to no avail. What are your thoughts, and what are you measuring for Customer Service in you manufacturing facility?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Just completed my AS9100D recertification audit. One of my auditors was ok with my metrics for the Customer Service Process. We were measuring OTD to the customer. The LEAD auditor flatly refused to allow OTD as a measurable because "it is not a top-line metric and it can be influenced by other factors, such as if you have to pay expedite charges to a processor in order to be on-time to the customer." I argued, to no avail. What are your thoughts, and what are you measuring for Customer Service in you manufacturing facility?
In my mind, I'd agree with the Lead Auditor but maybe for different reasons. OTD is an accumulative "score", based on a number of individual processes. I worked at an organization which measured OTD and were really good, however, their view of the 4 core (internal) processes told a different story. One had a 60% rework loop! So, OTD is a good indicator or overall, end-to-end performance, but not one individual process (whatever "Customer Service" actually is)

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Normally OTD is a general top KPI, and included in objectives, for you it may apply
other Kpis which more directly are related to your process.

e.g. % of rejects, % on time delivery of work orders, % production program compliment
and some other may apply
Hope this helps

doctall41

Involved In Discussions
I think you should be able to pick your own metrics. I wouldn't be happy with your auditor.
I'm not. Here's what she shared with me later about why she cannot allow OTD:
9100 clarification table.jpg

Comes from this document:
9100 clarification table header.jpg

That is not at all what we were doing. We had valid metrics for all the other processes!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Visualization of KPI data - Your ideas please Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 22
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod On Time Delivery KPI for sales? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Level 3 KPI Excel Template Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
M QMS Efficiency KPI as a Manager. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J KPI Software - Our weakness is in KPI's Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S AS9100 Customer KPI Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J KPI's for AS9100 Cl. 8.2/8.5 - Bids/Contract Review/Order Entry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K Further Analysis of Departmental KPI (Key Performance Indicator) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A KPI for Quality Assurance Team in a Service Oriented Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 8
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
1 KPI Dashboard Template in Excel Format wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
Q Is KPI in Process Valid if not supported by Procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V AS9100 8.2.1 (C) or 9.1.2 (D) Customer Satisfaction - KPI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A What KPI's do you use at Shop Floor Level and Team Boards? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
W NCR Performance KPI Monitoring in an Industry like Construction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
A Does KPI for Processes need to be correlated with the specific Risks for Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Excel Dashboard for Health Safety and Environmental KPI's for Multiple Sites Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
Q Who can Change goals and kpi of top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for the Audit Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
L KPI Project help - Business and Management Degree Benchmarking 4
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A KPI's for Individuals (Employees) Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
V KPI (Key Performance Indicators) in First Article Inspection Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P Internal Audit Scope - Company's KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Internal Auditing 7
S KPI for Q&EHS Management System example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J KPI for time to close NCs (Nonconformances) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
S Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Determining Processes, Objectives and KPI's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R KPI Review Meetings never discusses previous meeting action plan status Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
G Differences between Quality Objectives and Business KPI's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Safety Lead and Lag KPI's Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for a Service Company Benchmarking 1
T KPI, Dashboards and Pre-Assessment Questionnaires question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Quality Objectives 5.4.1 - KPI SOP - ISO 13485 Audit Observations EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Must Support Processes have defined KPI's (Key Performance Indicators)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Sales Department KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) template and suggestions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Purchasing Performance KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Benchmarking 4
B Issue CAR (Corrective Action Request) When KPI Fails to meet Goal Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
B KPI = 0 - Accidents (Actual accident is 150 case/year) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21