Label of a Medical Device sold in EU - Non translated information

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the label of a MD sold in EU could include information in a specific language (e.g. japanese) without any other translation, those information being required only for the respective country (Japan here).

For instance, "医療機器届出番号: XXXXXXXXX" which means "MD Notification number: XXXXXX", a number only applicable in Japan.

Thank you very much for your help.

Enjoy your week-end,

Vivien

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

We do some of this in respect to labeling information that is required only and specifically by US FDA. "Rx Only", for instance, is US specific in regard to its FDA legal meaning. And, US FDA does not recognize certain ISO symbols on non-IVD devices, so those ISO symbols have to have English subtext appended.

Various regulators have groused at us for our approaches to global labeling, but no one in the end has required us to change. Not so far, anyway.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the label of a MD sold in EU could include information in a specific language (e.g. japanese) without any other translation, those information being required only for the respective country (Japan here).

For instance, "医療機器届出番号: XXXXXXXXX" which means "MD Notification number: XXXXXX", a number only applicable in Japan.

Enjoy your week-end,

Vivien
Hi,

As long as that doesn't conflict with Essential Requirement 13 (MDD annex I), there should not be a problem in the EU. Just make sure that the number could not be mistaken for something else (e.g. batch number etc.).

Cheers,
Ronen.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

Enjoy your week-end,

Vivien
If you are associated with a NB for your CE notification, they will the best persons to address your query.
Annex I / 13.3 (b) the details strictly necessary to identify the device and the contents of the packaging especially for the users;
The information needed to use the device safely and properly, taking account of the training and knowledge of the potential users, is of importance.
As far as practicable and appropriate, the information needed to use the device safely must be set out on the device itself.
If I were you and a NB is not involved, I would not have such on the EU label.

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
Thank you very much, it's always a pleasure to get answers from you !

Contacting our NB seems to be the wisest thing to do.

Have a nice day,

Vivien

M

MIREGMGR

One approach that I've seen...though I don't yet use it myself, because it would require more label area and no one has required it of us...is to allocate some label area for bordered boxes, each of which is titled with the language-independent ISO 3166 two- or three-letter abbreviation(s) for the country name(s) to which the information in that box applies. Thus your Japan specific information would be in a box titled JP or JPN.

By doing this, one would effectively address real usability concerns, and the related possible regulator objection that a person that cannot read the language of a nationally specific content-element cannot tell that that element does not apply to them.

My view is that such an approach would be the most rigorous practical method for global-labeling conformance with conflicting national/regional labeling requirements.

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
Indeed MIREGMGR, I see what you are describing.

I might even remember labels with an insert titled with the mention "FOR JAPAN ONLY" and containing specific information in japanese. However I am not totally sure there were medical device labels.

Thank you for your help and proposals about that question.

Vivien

M

MIREGMGR

Note however that "FOR JAPAN ONLY" is English text and therefore could be rejected in (for instance) Quebec or many EU countries, or any other jurisdiction with a mandatory language requirement that does not include English. The use of an ISO 3166 designator, with no other words in the box-title, should avoid that issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Labeling for off-label use - Prevention of off-label use of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C FDA Medical Device Label Requirements - serial numbers Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Medical Device Research Use Only (RUO) label Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Label on Miniature Active Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Off-Label Use of a Medical Device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
F CE and FDA Mark on same IVD/Medical Device Label EU Medical Device Regulations 12
E ISO 15223-1 (Medical Device Label Symbols) - Revisions, EU commission? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Medical Device Packaging Label Validation Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
shimonv Changing the Label of a Medical Device product in the field Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
E How do you monitor Medical Device Off-Label use by Customers & Medical Professionals EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical Device Label Information Requirements in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M How to best prioritize Medical Device Label Contents Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 16
C CE Mark Label Symbol Requirements on a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Class II Disposable Medical Device Label Content Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Off-Label Medical Device Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
E Brazil Medical Device Label Issues Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Medical Device Label Location Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Question re: Class II Medical Device Software - Label / Device Definition Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Medical Device Label Revision Level Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 24
H Medical Device RUO (Research Use Only) and 'Sterile' Label Claims 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Medical Device Registration in Brazil for Private Label Manufacture Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
J Class IIa Medical Device - Can I over label to change an address? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Off Label Usage (Class II Medical Device - Blood Bank Software) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J How do I qualify a Label Design for Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
N What needs to be on the label? Medical Device Labelling Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
A US FDA Medical Device Label Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
thisby_ Medical Device with Barcode - How to label it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Address on Label - Medical Device Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Control of Serial Number Label in Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
L Rx Only vs. Professional Use Only - Class II Private Label Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
L Label placed on medical device by subcontractor based outside USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
somashekar Mark on Medical device label marketed in Canada ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Reference to FDA on Label or Labelling - Class II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
C Labeling of Medical Devices - Distributor replacing device serial number label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
F Label work instruction - Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
shimonv Should the Label for Serviced Medical Devices be Replaced? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
supadrai Indonesian MOH Regulation Restricting OEM/Private Label Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S IEC 60601-1 - Label Physical Requirements for Disposable (Single Use) Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
W Medical Agency Label - A handshake, USA, printed over a US flag ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Private Label Listing Requirements for Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Print Label Verification for Medical Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Unknown Medical Symbol in Product Label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M How to Label Medical Devices that contain Phthalates. EU Medical Device Regulations 16
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4