Label Translations - Translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5/5

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
I'm writing a translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5/5. We translate our labels into French, German and Spanish. In the past we have used a general translation service but some native speakers have on occasions commented that some of the translations are odd. I know that there are technical translation services out there but I would imagine these are very expensive. We are only translating product descriptions and simple label warnings.

Does anyone have any experience of what level of translation service meets with NB approval?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: Label Translations - Translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5

I'm writing a translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5/5. We translate our labels into French, German and Spanish. In the past we have used a general translation service but some native speakers have on occasions commented that some of the translations are odd. I know that there are technical translation services out there but I would imagine these are very expensive. We are only translating product descriptions and simple label warnings.

Does anyone have any experience of what level of translation service meets with NB approval?
It is a quality issue like any other. If some users have expressed dissatisfaction with the outcome, it is a sort of product related complaint. If the complaints occurrence is very low and they are sporadic, or only indicate style mismatch and don’t affect safety or usability, I wouldn’t be concerned. Otherwise you should address the issue according to your SOPs. Either way I would collate the information, analyse/trend and capture it all as a formal record (in the DHF, complaints file or the likes). Then you should be fine with your NB.

Last edited:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Label Translations - Translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5

Philip... Your approach is seen by me as a risk to your company. If your NB has not looked at your translation procedure critically during your MDD assessment, then you are not in good hands.
You have to address professional translation adequately in your procedures and you have to be sure that they are technically correctly translated into all the languages you choose to translate.
If you are trading off your costs to casual translations, you are putting your company into big regulatory risk.
I request you to take a fresh look and address your gaps quickly.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

Concur with what others have said. I always view translations as something that requires validation so, irrespective of who translates, I get an independent validation of the translation to confirm it meets user needs.

I haven't found translation services all THAT expensive. Not cheap but they've always been quite good in doing the translations.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

validation of the translation to confirm it meets user needs.
That’s a challenging definition, isn’t it? You need to find someone who masters both languages (origin and target) well, understands the device well (including tech and clinical sides), and understands usability very well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoCam EU Authorised Representative - Label EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Ambient temperature_how we claim storage condition in label? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L N95 Respirators - Can we label our masks as N95? Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Label Review for Class II Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Re-labelling in IVDD - Re-label two products and package them as one CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Manufacturer address on the label Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
F Label work instruction - Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L Label Content Requirements under MDR regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Labeling for off-label use - Prevention of off-label use of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ed Panek Label verification and validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Device name change and label color change EU requirement? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Comparator drug with Japanese label use in Clinical trials? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I Importer Address in addition to Manufacturer details on label EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B MDSAP 8.2.6 CH6 task 17 ANVISA 16/2013 3.2.1 - Label History in Device history record Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Calculating a weight for a machine for the CE label CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Ajit Basrur How do I label this commercial product ready for clinical study? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Label Legibility on Handheld Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J ISO 15223-1: Keep dry vs. humidity limitation label symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C FDA Medical Device Label Requirements - serial numbers Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Expiration Date (use by date) on a product label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Medical Device Research Use Only (RUO) label Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
R IEC 60601-2-57 - Subclause 201.7.101.2 - Explanatory Label - LS Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
supadrai Just found out the hard way that only one registration per manufacturer is allowed in Yemen, regardless of OEM or private label arrangement. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Regulatory Responsibilities of an OEM and Private Label manufacturer Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
G Regulatory requirements for secondary packages in terms of label content Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
J Class 1 CE Marking - Can this be removed from the label on the product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
shimonv Should the Label for Serviced Medical Devices be Replaced? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W MDR Annex I chapter 23.2 (q) - Information required on the label EU Medical Device Regulations 17
S Symbols - Device label versus Packaging label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
supadrai Indonesian MOH Regulation Restricting OEM/Private Label Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2