Labeling for Repair Parts of a Medical Device

J

jlhaney63

We are the manufacturing site for a medical device in the USA. I am being asked to ship components and sub-assemblies to another state in the USA and also to Germany to support service/repair centers that will repair the devices and return them to the user. I'm trying to understand the labeling requirements for these components and sub-assemblies.

I found 21 CFR Part 801.122 that states:

Subpart D--Exemptions From Adequate Directions for Use Sec. 801.122 Medical devices for processing, repacking, or manufacturing.
A device intended for processing, repacking, or use in the manufacture of another drug or device shall be exempt from section 502(f)(1) of the act if its label bears the statement "Caution: For manufacturing, processing, or repacking".

However, I'm not sure that this applies as I am shipping components and sub-assemblies, not fully functional medical devices.

Is anyone aware of any labeling requirements for repair/service parts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Regulatory systems including US FDA aren't good with boundary situations. FDA is only allowed to create regulations for medical devices. This causes them to not do a good job of documenting how to handle non-devices.

If the thing you're shipping might be thought to be a device by someone that interacts with it, even if you know it to be not intended to be seen as a device, then I'd proceed to treat it as a device, document why you're doing so, and label it per the rule you've identified. I'd add to the regulation's required statement this additional statement: "Component/sub-assembly for service and repair. Not intended to be used as a finished medical device."

If on the other hand the thing you're shipping clearly isn't a finished device and could not be used as such, then make sure that the labeling you apply to it is distinctly different from the labeling you use on the finished devices you make, in addition to clearly identifying the thing as a non-device using language like the above-suggested statement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Labeling requirements for reagents, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Labeling for Medical Device Samples - Surgical instruments 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Do User Manuals (Not Device Labeling) HAVE to be in their national languages for these countries? Will English Hardcopy not do? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Labeling for off-label use - Prevention of off-label use of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Labeling - 2017/745 - EUMDR Requirements and Trademark Issues EU Medical Device Regulations 0
DitchDigger UDI, Labeling Accessories, General Insanity, Etc. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Labeling requirements - Date of manufacture for software devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Annotated US Prescribing Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Product Labeling - Modified the name of one of our products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Labeling Requirements - Creams in tubes EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K EU MDR Art. 22 - Device + insertion pack - User manual and Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDR 2017/745 sterile and non-sterile labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
CPhelan Labeling template on QMS - Kitting and labeling documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
G How is the labeling of units cleared for both Rx and OTC uses handled? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
E FDA Supplier Labeling Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Scrubbed version of a labeling procedure that is MDR compliant wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
T Change to Country of Origin on Medical Device Labeling Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) - Labeling Content EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Medical Device Packaging Multilingual Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T FDA proposed labeling standalone software cloud based US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N IFUs with promotional labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Requirements for different Labeling Levels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K UDI Labeling for Medical Device Samples 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Authorized Representative on Labeling (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA regulations vs. IEC 60601-1 Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
M "Minor" Address Change Implications on Product Labeling Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K Labeling - New company address Canada Medical Device Regulations 6