Labeling - New company address

Karichan

Starting to get Involved
May anyone give me an idea.

Our company holds a MDL and was just relocated. We have notified Health Canada of the change of address and we scheduled for an ISO 13485:2016 conversion audit in May.

We need an updated ISO 13485 cert for supporting our application for the change of MDL.

So, should I use the updated labeling (address changed only) right now? or we should wait until the issuance of ISO 13485:2016 cert? or finally the issuance of the updated MDL? (but it may take about 3 months later)

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
you should probably wait for the updated ISO cert before you start using the new address on the application, HC will ask about the new address and whether you submitted an address change application.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
May anyone give me an idea.

So, should I use the updated labeling (address changed only) right now? or we should wait until the issuance of ISO 13485:2016 cert? or finally the issuance of the updated MDL? (but it may take about 3 months later)

Thanks in advance
Hi Karichan,
From experience HC will not accept your license update request before you have an updated ISO certificate.

As for your question about when to start using the updated labeling, I am not aware of any written guidance or requirement about it. Fortunately it's not a big deal either way. My personal inclination is to update the labeling right now and continue with marketing, and once you have all the formal docs update MDL accordingly.

Shimon

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
Hi Karichan

Not sure if you are aware, but this is the form with instructions for new manufacturer address:

Medical Devices Licence Amendment Fax-Back Form - Guidance for Changes to the Manufacturer's Name and / or Address of Existing Device Licences Only - Canada.ca

As you can see the updated certificate is required to facilitate the change and there are additional requirements beyond the revised certificate.

My interpretation regarding the labels is the they should not be changed until Health Canada acknowledges/approves the change in writing in response to your amendment application. Otherwise it is not aligned with the current MDL and therfore out of compliance with the regulations.

The CMDR label requirement is:

Labelling Requirements
21 (1) No person shall import or sell a medical device
unless the device has a label that sets out the following
information:
(a) the name of the device;
(b) the name and address of the manufacturer;

Good luck.

Hi Karichan,

I went through this (edit: by "this" - i mean we actually did a company name change) last year at this time and would strongly suggest you drop them an email letting them know what you're planning to do. We did this and they got on a phone call with us and were extremely helpful. Friendly and helpful.

IIRC, we did have our updated certificate in hand and included it with the fax-back form (which they had us scan and email instead of fax - very convenient and a tiny cost savings).

Not sure whether your are importing yourself or have distributors. We had to assist some of our distributors as well.

Our amended licenses were issued within 24 hours of providing them the fax-back form. Not sure you will get that turnaround time but they were really great.

Let me know if I can provide more information, as I can go back in the file and correspondence and let you know.

Additional EDIT re: labeling - we had no problem with labeling and just provided our "shippers" (all relevant folks) with a copy of the old license and the amended license. I can't say definitively that there were no hiccups but we didn't hear of anything. I would wait until the license amendment is approved before updating labeling but anything on the water should be fine.

EDIT3: and don't forget to notify your regulatory correspondent and amend your agreement with them to reflect the change.

Best,

supadrai

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C FDA Labeling Requirements and Company Brochures and Web Site Content US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Interesting Discussion FDA 510(k) required? US company Private Labeling an FDA Class II Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 34
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Labeling for Medical Device Samples - Surgical instruments 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Do User Manuals (Not Device Labeling) HAVE to be in their national languages for these countries? Will English Hardcopy not do? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Labeling for off-label use - Prevention of off-label use of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Labeling - 2017/745 - EUMDR Requirements and Trademark Issues EU Medical Device Regulations 0
DitchDigger UDI, Labeling Accessories, General Insanity, Etc. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Labeling requirements - Date of manufacture for software devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Annotated US Prescribing Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Product Labeling - Modified the name of one of our products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Labeling Requirements - Creams in tubes EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K EU MDR Art. 22 - Device + insertion pack - User manual and Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDR 2017/745 sterile and non-sterile labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
CPhelan Labeling template on QMS - Kitting and labeling documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
G How is the labeling of units cleared for both Rx and OTC uses handled? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
E FDA Supplier Labeling Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Scrubbed version of a labeling procedure that is MDR compliant wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
T Change to Country of Origin on Medical Device Labeling Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) - Labeling Content EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Medical Device Packaging Multilingual Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T FDA proposed labeling standalone software cloud based US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N IFUs with promotional labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Requirements for different Labeling Levels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K UDI Labeling for Medical Device Samples 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Authorized Representative on Labeling (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA regulations vs. IEC 60601-1 Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
M "Minor" Address Change Implications on Product Labeling Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2