Labeling question about different manufacturers on a single label

I had a question about labeling.

So, my company just started a new software design project where we would take an existing product and relabel it for the US (Manufactured for). For the rest of the world (EU specifically, so a CE mark), we are planning to be the manufacturer for the product (Manufactured by).

Initially, we were going to provide 2 separate part numbers and label it accordingly; however, my boss asked if we could do just 1 label with the manufacturing information on it to reduce the amount of part numbers. For my boss, this is important because there are roughly 40 part numbers if we separate out the 2 labels vs the 20 my boss proposed.

I have not seen where you would have 2 separate manufacturers on the label (one for the US as a relabeler, and one for the EU with a CE mark as a manufacturer). I also think it would be confusing. Has anyone seen something like this or experience this in your current labeling?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
My background is med device so not sure if my comment applies:

There is only one manufacturer of record. That company owns reporting responsibility to FDA, CE., etc.

I have seen companies use stickers to apply to the device in cases they want to be flexible on where it goes until the last moment, but if you are caught having two manufacturers of record it might be a problem.

Something to be aware of especially intl is customs takes labeling quite seriously and will hold shipments up if there are issues. I would not take shortcuts in labeling.

Are you using two IFUs?

Hi,
This is MDSW, so we can't change the labeling since this is embedded in the SW.

The IFU was initially going to be split with 1 dedicated for the US and 1 for the EU. Now that there have been talks about having one label, there is a consensus to have a single IFU.

We would be the manufacturer of record for EU. They would own it for the FDA.
Personally, I think there should be 2 versioning of the product, but wanted to see if people experienced a single label.

Please do not label your product with one label. You must not label a product with the CE Mark until your product is approved. I doubt you will get approval from both locations at the same time. Do you really want to be in a situation where, for example, your product is labeled with CE mark but then has a warning about investigational use (or research use) only? Do you really want to have a label with multiple EU languages for your US users?

Why would there be 40 components just because you have a different label? You can have two different DMRs where the only difference is the label. Please clarify.

Please do not label your product with one label. You must not label a product with the CE Mark until your product is approved. I doubt you will get approval from both locations at the same time. Do you really want to be in a situation where, for example, your product is labeled with CE mark but then has a warning about investigational use (or research use) only? Do you really want to have a label with multiple EU languages for your US users?

Why would there be 40 components just because you have a different label? You can have two different DMRs where the only difference is the label. Please clarify.
You can time this if it's a class I device. Self declaration without NB involvement. We would release it with a change notice at the same time.

I did not say components. The product is unique that can work with many different medical devices, so there is a unique number for each separate medical device the product interacts with. This cannot be changed since the supplier is set-up this way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
K IEC 61010-2-100 Labeling question - IVD equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S GHS Labeling Requirements question Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
R Wellness Device Labeling Guidelines and question Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
T Measurement Equipment Shelf Rack Labeling Requirements question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Question on facility relocation and Product Labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H OTC (Over The Counter) Wipe Product Labeling Guidelines - Question Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
A Medical Device Labeling Content Question EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Own Brand and Trademark Labeling Question EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Medical Device Re-Labeling question - Customer has modified the labels ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
T Labeling or Overlabeling question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A FDA product Labeling Question - Re-selling and Re-labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
drwallice Labeling Revision history EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T § 820.120 Device labeling - "shall be documented in the DHR" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A IVDR Labeling - Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Battery Labeling Requirements US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Labeling Specification in a DMR Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
M Product Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 11
G Labeling requirements for REFURBISHED medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Labeling; User Guide US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Labeling Placement Requirements according to the 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T FDA labeling requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C UDI assignment and labeling. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Labeling IVD Class III Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Class II Accessory Labeling Conundrum US Medical Device Regulations 19
S Labeling requirements for class 1, fashion sunglasses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Labeling requirements for single use devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S Sterile Disposable Cardiac Guidewire 3yr Real Time Sterility Failure When Confirming Accelerated Aging / Labeling US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Labeling Requirements for Medical Device Travel Case US Medical Device Regulations 9
A Labeling colors IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
U Medical Devices Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Samples & Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Product Lifetime on Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Is labeling on the device itself required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Purchasing Controls on Change Management of Literature/Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Registration of Medical Device in Hong Kong - labeling requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Hazard symbols and labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M IEC 62304 Software changes - Minor labeling changes on the GUI IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Labeling requirements for reagents, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 9
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2