Labels on sterile packaging

Can someone please help me on this? For active implantable devices where there are double sterile barriers, is it fine to put labels on secondary barrier instead of primary, since the device goes to the OT room with the secondary barrier and traceability is maintained.
In MDR, its quoted as ""Implantable devices shall, at their lowest level of packaging (‘unit packs’), be identified, or marked using AIDC, with a UDI (UDI-DI + UDI-PI)".
Does this mean, the label should appear on the primary sterile barrier?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
the requirement is for the lowest level of packaing to be identified - this is not necessarily the primary sterile barrier otherwise it would say so. Therefore you could get away with labelling only the secondary barrier.

However you need to consider how the theatre works - would the hospital only ever scan the device when it is being handed to the scrub nurse? or is the scrub nurse likely to scan the packaging before handing the device to the surgeon?
Is there a risk of multiple devices being used simultaneously in the sterile area (thereby necessitating a way to distinguish them)

Despite my comments/questions, in my experience an implant is only handed to a scrub nurse shortly before its use, the scrub nurse will immedaitely break the primary barrier and hand it to the surgeon - I can't see any benefit of labelling the primary barrier

Previously I have used clear pounches so that the label can be applied to the primary barrier but then read through the secondary. - could that be a solution for you?

Hi pkost, thank you so much for your reply. I agree with you that the implants will be handed to a scrub nurse shortly before use only.
The term "unit packs" written in regulation confused me and thought will get a clarity with experts like you.
Thanks much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Split labels? Split label approach on the sterile barrier packaging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K EIFU indicator symbol - Class I labels as per EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Can medical device labels in EU be bilingual? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A In which EU countries would it be okay to use sample labels for registration? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Requirements for the dimensions / color of medical device labels - Software as a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Y CE Mark - Placing the CE mark on medical device labels EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q When to write up a nonconformance and require a NCR - We produce labels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Tagin Recommendations for calibration labels for ESD floor mats General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Technical File (STED) labelling - When you compile tech files do we have to include all the product labels? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q What tier number fits in a company producing paper labels stuck on automotive parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F Ideas for brewery poka-yoke system - Labels that are glued to a bottle Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Site Move - Question about Updating Product Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Best place is to purchase IEC 60417 labels that will pass markings test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Definition ECS - Product Labels have "ECS" in the prefix Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R Re-Use of Diagnostic Reagent Solution Labels - Buffer Solutions for Internal Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Company Name Change - ETL Labels and Report Updates CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
U Good Documentation Practice (GDocP or GDP) - Labels and Attachments Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S OBL CE Marked Medical Device Labels EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Standard for Rounding Measurements for Labels Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
C Adding information to Labels - Class II Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Medical Device Labels and 21CFR part 801.15 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Medical Device Requirements - Labels - Embossing, Coloring IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I JIS T 0307:2004 Medical devices -- Symbols to be used with medical device labels Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
M Manufacture and Sales of GHS Labels and Pictograms Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
Y Recommendations for Label Printer / Label Stock for On-Device Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E Must Patent Numbers be Shown on Product Labels? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
S How can I inventory labels supplied by customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Use of Made in XXX Country on Medical Device Labels Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S OEM Supplier with ISO 9001 Labels Medical Device Accessory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C ESD Bags and Paper Labels (Dymo) on the Bags (Packaging) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Labeling Software for Medical Device Product and Packaging Labels for Production Use Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
T DVP&R (Design Verification Plan and Report) for Vehicle Labels? APQP and PPAP 3
B Language Requirements - Labels/IFU (Professional Use Medical Devices) in Bangladesh Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Latex Adhesive Labels used in Medical Device Packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
N China's Regulations regarding Labels on Class II Medical Devices China Medical Device Regulations 4
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Labels - ASTM D3330/D3330M Acceptance Criteria for Adhesion 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Signal Words for CE Mark and FDA Labels US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A FDA Requirements for the Use of Symbols on Medical Device Labels US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 36
S Size of Identification, Traceability and Status Labels? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S What is the purpose of ON HOLD Labels Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Labels - Use Symbols Not Words Other Medical Device Related Standards 19
J Absence of Inspection Status Labels on Skids of Paint Pails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Translation Requirements on Medical Device Packaging Labels ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Medical Device Re-Labeling question - Customer has modified the labels ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I PPAP Form for Labels APQP and PPAP 14