Laboratory Audit Nonconformance - Maintenance of Standards

neoth

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

during my recent audit, the auditors found out a NC for my lab.

the NC stated that "we did not do intermediate check of its standard or statistic control for maintenance of standards."

our lab did inter-lab comparison program but according to the auditors, it was not sufficient.

Can someone please give me some pointers on how to clear this NC?

many thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

randomname

Is the NC against a requirement of a standard you follow or of your own procedures, or simply something the auditor is trying to impose on you?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hi all,

during my recent audit, the auditors found out a NC for my lab.

the NC stated that "we did not do intermediate check of its standard or statistic control for maintenance of standards."

our lab did inter-lab comparison program but according to the auditors, it was not sufficient.

Can someone please give me some pointers on how to clear this NC?

many thanks
Give more info behind this NC - was this an ISO/IEC 17025 audit and what was the clause against which this NC was issued ?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
This is probably due to an ILAC requirement from ILAC P9 which covers proficiency testing. The relevant section is:

4.2 The minimum PT activity according to a laboratory’s or inspection body’s (where relevant) scope is:
• evidence of satisfactory participation prior to gaining accreditation where PT is available and appropriate;
• further and ongoing activity that is appropriate to the scope of accreditation and consistent with the PT participation plan.
Note: Accreditation bodies should support the use of appropriate PT programmes which meet the essential requirements of ISO/IEC 17043 [1], where applicable

The note directs the assessor to have you use an accredited proficiency tester (ISO 17043 accredited) "where applicable". Some interpret that to mean "when available" and the onus is on you to either use an accredited PT provider or show that there is not one available for your test discipline.

I don't think that your inter-lab comparison was adequate in their eyes, you need to find an accredited PT provider.

neoth

Involved In Discussions
Hi there,

i already did the ILCP with other labs and acheive satisfactory results.

our reference standard were also send out for yearly calibration.

so i am not really sure what the auditor is looking for here.

below is the exact stament give by the auditor.

"Although a quality control program was mentioned in the Technical Manual , in practice, apart from participating in a few ILCs, the lab did not do intermediate check of its standard or statistic control on for the maintanence of standards"

please help

thanks

dwperron

More information, good!

The auditor mentioned a reference in your Technical Manual about a quality control program. What do you claim to do in that quality control program?

As for his reference to intermediate checks / statistical control, it is very good practice to have some internal method of checking your standards between calibration events to assure that they are still valid to use as a standard. Depending on what you have for standards that could include comparing one instrument against another of your standards and charting the result to verify that the test result is within defined limits. I would recommend this for high use and high risk items in any lab. Per 17025 section 5.9.1 "The resulting data shall be recorded in such a way that trends are detectable and, where practicable, statistical techniques shall be applied to the reviewing of the results". Auditors like to see graphs of this data, with limits shown, so that they can quickly see trends in the measurements.

You haven't mentioned what type of lab you have there - what standards are you using?

neoth

Involved In Discussions
Hi Sir,

I am running a temperature calibration lab.

i have thermocouples and pt100 probe as my reference.

thanks.

dwperron

So from what I can see that your auditor is requesting, they would like to see some kind of crosscheck program in your lab. A simple method is to do a regular crosscheck of your thermocouples against your RTD probe. It can be monthly, quarterly, whatever makes sense based on the risk involved if one goes out of tolerance. You will need to keep a record of these crosschecks, and have a rule decided on what acceptable results are.

A simple test is to do a simple check in an ice bath / ice point reference. This verifies that the thermocouples are operational (and a check on if the RTD might have been compromised) and if their offsets might have drifted.

Keep the process simple, you just need to have a program to checks your standards that works for you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO/TS 16949 Stage 2 Audit Nonconformance Against 7.6.3.1 Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
B IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 FAQ #7 Audit Finding - External Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
V Could the Microbiology Laboratory Audit be done based on Documentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Need to Audit an External Calibration Laboratory? - Customer Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
S GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Requirements and Audit US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
I TS 16949 Audit Minor non conformance - Outside Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
B Laboratory Vertical Audit advice and information needed General Auditing Discussions 1
C Internal Audit of Internal Calibration Laboratory - Inspection sample size question Internal Auditing 2
S Maintaining and tracking laboratory voltage standards - A2LA audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J ISO/TS 16949 audit nonconformity from Auditor on laboratory scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Calibration SOP - Surveillance audit Nonconformances in the Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K TS 16949 (Ford, DCX, Toyota) Audit of an ISO 17025 (GM Only) In-House Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C 17025 Accreditation Audit - Test Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 42
K Test Laboratory Audit - A Calibrated Wall Clock? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
Jerry Eldred In-Laboratory Audit of Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G ITAR Registration for Metrology Laboratory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Procedure for maintaining Confidentiality And Impartiality in a Laboratory Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
sswaim IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Calibration Laboratory Requirelents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Good Laboratory Practice: online training course recommendations? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E 2 participants in inter-laboratory comparison tests ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T MDR on Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) - Pg 110, section 6.1 (b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Laboratory Manual ISO/IEC 17025 Example wanted ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J IATF 16949 Calibration Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Jewelry vs. Normal Laboratory Balances - Accuracy and calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
rob73 Requirement for independent certification of device using an ISO 17025 laboratory EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Calibration Laboratory Dimensional Temperature Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G ISO 17025 Calibration Laboratory Assessor's Common Questions and Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
H Need to Start an R&D Laboratory, what to do? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9