Subject: Re: Laboratory Capabality verification

>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:07:11 -0400
>From: Etienne Godbout
>Subject: Laboratory Capabality verification
>
>Can someone explain to me, or where could I find the method or
>informations on how to verifiy Laboratory Capability, based on the QS-9000
>third edition requirement.

Well, there is no one way. This is a non-prescriptive requirement and it's up to you to decide how to do it.

One way is to become Guide 25 accredited (see A2LA, NVLAP, SCC, etc.) Another is to set things up according to the requirements of Guide 25 without actually becoming accredited.

Another way is to use measurement assurance, with control charts and check standards (see, for example, PMAP software by JTI Systems, courses from me or from Coast Metrology Systems, etc.)

Yet another way is to join a proficiency test program or to set one up. See ISO Guide 43, ASTM E-1301

Check out http://www.hamvention.org and of course, http://www.measurement.com

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Theron Taylor

With regard to ISO/IEC Guide 25, I have a question? In QS9000 under 4.11.2 on page 44, in the middle of the page is a paragraph that I do not understand at all. Can you explain the last half of the paragraph where it states;, - - - - - - - "assessment by an OEM customer or an OEM customer-approved second party, that they meet the intent of ISO/IEC Guide 25 or national equivlent." I do not know who the Big Three are refering to here when they say OEM customer or OEM customer-approved second party.

B

Brad Lee

What is a definition of a "Laboratory" anyway?
Does it require some proper set-up?
Can one declares that his company does not have a "lab" but there is some facility to measure, test, and calibrate?

-Brad

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A lab is pretty much anywhere inspection and/or testing is done except on line. QS 9 defines a laboratory as "...a test facility that may include chemical,...or test validation." As I'm sure you see, they don't refer to calibration, although as I understand it your calibration lab is part of the show...

QS9000 under 4.11.2 on page 44 - Can you explain the last half of the paragraph where it states: "assessment by an OEM customer or an OEM customer-approved second party, that they meet the intent of ISO/IEC Guide 25 or national equivlent."
4.11.2.b.1 Well, an audit by Ford, GM or Chrysler or some company they approve. They may have a list - anyone have any specifics on this?

T

Theron Taylor

Marc, is the OEM customer in the reference section, the OEM themselves? If so, and we are doing business with GM, they would be the OEM customer, spoken of in this section. Could the second party be a QS9000 registar or does it have to be someone different than your registar?
Our registar's representative auditor said they were not qualified to determine if we met the intent of Guide 25 and did not know how we, or any lab, could prove they meet this requirement on intent alone. In other words he was saying A2LA, NAVLAP or other qualified source would have to do a registration audit to Guide 25, and grace us or the supplier lab with a Certificate.

Ref. Theron Taylor; our auditor made the same comments to us concerning guide 25.

My question is "who is the national equivalent "to guide 25?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Marc, is the OEM customer in the reference section, the OEM themselves?
OEM = Ford, Chrysler or GM as I understand it (see below).
If so, and we are doing business with GM, they would be the OEM customer, spoken of in this section.
Yes, as I understand it.
Could the second party be a QS9000 registar or does it have to be someone different than your registar?
The verbiage sucks, but as I understand it, the second party may or may not be your or any other registrar. Example: Eagle Registrations is a small registrar in Dayton, Ohio. They have gotten together with GM and GM has approved them to audit labs to Guide 25. This has recently taken place. There is still a snag, however. They are trying to decide whether Eagle will be 'certifying' the lab or whether a simple letter will be given by Eagle to the lab audited (what is YOUR definition of 'certifying'?). If you go to a lab and they say they were audited by Eagle Registrations and your OEM is GM you're in gear - you can use the lab because Eagle audited them.

The verbiage sucks, as I say, in my opinion, because it says "...by an OEM customer..." I understand OEM to be Ford, Chrysler and / or GM, and their customers are every-day folks thru dealerships. I admit it - I'm confused as well. Maybe someone who has gone thru the QS9000 Registrar Auditor course can respond to this.
My question is "who is the national equivalent "to guide 25?
If you live in Brazil and Brazil doesn't recognize Guide 25 (in reality I have no idea whether Brazil actually does or does not), they will probably have a Brazilian 'national' equivalent.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 18 October 1999).]

S

Steph

Sam

I'm not sure what the equivalents are in other countries, but in Canada the Standards Council has PALCAN, which is accepted by ISO as the same as Guide 25. I think most countries have there own version that is the equivalent to Guide 25.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 FAQ #7 Audit Finding - External Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Procedure for maintaining Confidentiality And Impartiality in a Laboratory Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
sswaim IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Calibration Laboratory Requirelents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Good Laboratory Practice: online training course recommendations? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E 2 participants in inter-laboratory comparison tests ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T MDR on Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) - Pg 110, section 6.1 (b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Laboratory Manual ISO/IEC 17025 Example wanted ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J IATF 16949 Calibration Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Jewelry vs. Normal Laboratory Balances - Accuracy and calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
rob73 Requirement for independent certification of device using an ISO 17025 laboratory EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Calibration Laboratory Dimensional Temperature Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G ISO 17025 Calibration Laboratory Assessor's Common Questions and Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
H Need to Start an R&D Laboratory, what to do? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Pharmaceutical Manufacturer's obligations - Laboratory Test instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S HVAC Thermostat for Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
V Temperature/humidity requirements in internal metrology laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Looking for Testing Laboratory for Aluminum Products - CE Marking General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Looking for a Threaded Ring Gage Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
J Internal Laboratory Scope and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.2 - External Laboratory Sub-Supplier Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V One Pager on Applications used in a Laboratory Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Procedure for Comparing the Monitor Reading with Laboratory Result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Systems to Handle Development and Batch Analysis in same Laboratory Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
C MU (Measurement Uncertainty) in an Internal Calibration Laboratory Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
N Implementing ISO 17025 in a Calibration Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B ISO/TS16949 In-House Non-Product Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J ISO 17025, Laboratory Scope and Certifications Requests ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Calibration and Testing Laboratory Startup Consultation Services General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N FDA Requirements for Animal Laboratory Testing (Harmonic Scalpel) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4