Laboratory Scope must include inspection stations out on the shop floor

J
Lab Scope

OK. Had our document audit yesterday. Everything is going fairly well. Nothing major. Then we reach 4.10.6.1.

The Auditor informs me that the lab scope must include any inspection station out on the shop floor. That this was the way it was explained to him by the AIAG trainers.

We do have an open area in the shop where inspections are performed. This area is not controlled for temp, or humidity, nor do we do anything but dimensional inspection there.

The definition of Laboratory in Section I of the manual does not include inspection, plus the note at the head of 4.10.6 states that 4.10.6 does not apply to inspection or testing performed outside of a laboratory. The QS-9000 Glossary definition for Labaoratory does include dimensional inspection, but also defines it as a "test facility". To me, a facility indicates an area seperate and controlled.

So to the question: Do I need to create a scope for this or is my auditor off his rocker.

James

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S
The standard is quite clear, Lab requirements do not apply to inspection stations.
If I remember correctly, that subject is also addressed in the earlier interpretations.

K

Ken K

I agree with Sam. If no testing or calibration is performed in the area, it should not need to be included.

J
Sam said:

The standard is quite clear, Lab requirements do not apply to inspection stations.
If I remember correctly, that subject is also addressed in the earlier interpretations.

Thanks for your input. I did a search and found this:

http://www.aiag.org - DEAD LINK --> /quality/4.10.6.html

this seems to support my auditor since it includes an "area" in the definition of a laboratory. Any comments?

A

Al Dyer

Ask the registrar to assign an auditor that knows what he/she is doing. After that find a new registrar, find a new Management Rep. that can explain the system

D

D.Scott

The same document goes on to say -

What isn't a lab? Places where testing occurs as a part of a process, which are within the parameters of that process. In other words, if testing is adequately controlled by in-process testing and inspection, and the items to be tested are not taken out of the process to a "facility," the in-house laboratory requirement does not apply.

I am really not sure where this is going and maybe I am confused but what does the location of a floor inspection area have to do with the lab scope? The scope should cover the intent of the lab, the tests performed, the equipment available etc. I don't know of a requirement to specifically define the location of the lab elements. If your scope includes dimensional inspection, why does it matter?

Dave

J
D.Scott said:

The same document goes on to say -

What isn't a lab? Places where testing occurs as a part of a process, which are within the parameters of that process. In other words, if testing is adequately controlled by in-process testing and inspection, and the items to be tested are not taken out of the process to a "facility," the in-house laboratory requirement does not apply.

I am really not sure where this is going and maybe I am confused but what does the location of a floor inspection area have to do with the lab scope? The scope should cover the intent of the lab, the tests performed, the equipment available etc. I don't know of a requirement to specifically define the location of the lab elements. If your scope includes dimensional inspection, why does it matter?

Dave
Dave,
I guess I'm on kind of a fishing expedition here, and maybe I'm the one who is confused. I have a lab scope for my calibration lab but didn't think I needed one for "inspection".

As defined, a lab is the: "(suppliers testing facility - chemical, metallurgical, reliability, test validation, e.g. fastener labs)". Since what we do is dimensional inspection, and almost all of this is done during the normal production process, (though not "right at the machine"). I don't equate this "inspection" as "Testing at a Facility".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought of inspection and testing as two different things.
Inspection: Checking dimensions, visual inspections of surfaces etc,
Testing: Destructive ( tensile, shear, fatique etc) and Non-destructive: (hardness testing etc.)

Like I said, maybe I'm the one who is confused.:frust:

James

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Ken K

James, who exactly is doing the inspection? Production people, QA, lab personnel?

Is the inspection a function of your lab?

I guess my point is if someone from quality comes through and grabs a part, sets it aside and inspects it, does that area also become part of the lab scope.

That this was the way it was explained to him by the AIAG trainers.
I would really ask your auditor to show you evidence of this "interpretation" from AIAG.

Was this area questioned before? New auditor?

:bonk:

M

M Greenaway

Just to add my comments in support of what has been said above. An in-process inspection area is not by definition an inspection or test lab, and as such does not require a 'scope'.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
C3 Test Equipment at Work Station (QS-9000, cl. 4.11.2) (01/22/99)
Individuals verifying gages at their in process work station do not have to comply with the
requirements for test laboratory if they are not calibrating equipment at their work station.
If individuals are calibrating equipment, they shall be included in the laboratory organization.
Sanctioned agreements
Any activities that are part of the normal process control are not required to be lab scope.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J IATF 16949 Calibration Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Internal Laboratory Scope and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Is a Laboratory Scope Necessary if... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J ISO 17025, Laboratory Scope and Certifications Requests ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
R Comparing Laboratory Scope of Accreditation against internal equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Scope of GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) in different countries 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K Expanding a Laboratory Calibration Scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Laboratory Scope for a Laser Fabrication Shop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D ISO/TS 16949 Stage 2 Audit Nonconformance Against 7.6.3.1 Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C NON-ISO Laboratory Scope Writing (for the Fire Marshal) Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S Laboratory Scope for a Small Metal Stamping Company Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
W Laboratory Scope - Clause 7.6.3.1 - Traceable to relevant standards - Surface texture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
H Analytical Environmental Laboratory ISO 17025 Registration Scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
P ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Internal Laboratory Scope - Post good example please! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Sean Kelley In-House (Internal) Laboratory Scope Requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D Expanding the Scope of a Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Extension of Scope in terms of Laboratory Facilities General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Laboratory Scope - Submitted a new PPAP for approval and the SQA rejected it General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
D Internal Laboratory Scope - Ranges for Measurement Tools Specified? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
R TS16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal laboratory - Facility shall have a defined scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
sonflowerinwales Can I use a 17025 laboratory for calibration outside of their scope? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G TS 16949 - Laboratory Scope - Injection Molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J ISO/TS 16949 audit nonconformity from Auditor on laboratory scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O In-House Laboratory Scope - Calipers, Pin Gages and Digital Indicators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T TS 16949 Para. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory - Defined scope that includes capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Laboratory Scope for TS 16949 Internal Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Internal Laboratory - Defining the Laboratory Scope - Inspection, Test, Calibration Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
Douglas E. Purdy Testing Laboratory Scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Does anyone have a good example of a laboratory scope? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
K Proficiency Testing - ISO 17025 and Laboratory Scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
D Do suppliers need a laboratory scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Where can I get a copy of a finished Laboratory scope for in house calibration? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Laboratory Scope - Need some advice regarding our Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
J Internal Laboratory Scope - Methods & Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
D I Would like to view someones Laboratory Scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marc Engineers In The test Laboratory - Does this affect the Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
R QS 9000 3rd Edition: Safety & Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M ISO 9002 - Testing Laboratory - Scope and Discussion on Several Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Laboratory Scope - Research and Development Labs - Do we need 2 Scopes? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G ITAR Registration for Metrology Laboratory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2