Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Laminate ESD Mats - Low resistance (RTT) readings

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am in the process of testing my company's ESD mats. The vinyl mats here have been reading fine using a calibrated megohmmeter with 5 pound weights. Those have been reading between 10^7 and 10^9. Now I am testing the laminate mats we have here. These are 3 x 2 foot mats that have been grounded. I tested 4 mats and they all have a weight-to-weight (RTT) resistance of 10^5. Spec sheets on line for laminate mats have a low resistance of 10^6. Unfortunately these mats were purchased several years ago by a person who no longer works here so I do not know the actual manufacture or part number of the laminate mats.

Any idea why I am getting these low readings? (I'm suspecting it's not going to go over big with management to scrap and replace these.)

Ed Panek

VP QA RA Small Med Dev Company FDA and ISO13485:16
Trusted
in the Navy we used ESD floor mats in our workspace. The CO insisted we wax and shine the mats for inspection. I argued the wax interfered with the performance of the mat. I was overruled.

Ed Panek

VP QA RA Small Med Dev Company FDA and ISO13485:16
Trusted
Well, in general, making a surface slippier in an environment that pitches and rolls is not safe! :)

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Getting back on topic. The ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014 Flooring Resistance Point to Point requirement is <10^9 ohms maximum. The standard states that the lower limit should be based on the value measured for product qualification. You may want to update your procedure. Look at ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014 tables 2 & 3. The NASA WORKMANSHIP MANUAL FOR ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE CONTROL GSFC-WM-001 has the same requirement.

Attachments

Top Bottom