Definition Lapse in Production - Definition (AS9102)

T

Thundarr

I'm looking for advice on if there is a standardized definition to "lapse in production" as referenced in the AS9102 standard. My personal definition is that the time is linear between any two points in the process i.e. start to start or finish to finish. Other colleagues have suggested that the lapse is finish to start, but I feel that could be skewed significantly. Example: 1000 parts are machined and then painted 10 per month for 100 months and delivered on the same schedule. If the finish to start analogy is used, then no FAI would be required when the machining is performed on the next 1000 units. If anyone could point me to a definition, I would be appreciative.:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Shoes

Hello Thundarr,
The company I work for interprets the 2 year window by sales data. If a specific sales part number has not been sold (shipped to any Customer) in 2 years, a new AS9102 First Article Report is required.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm looking for advice on if there is a standardized definition to "lapse in production" as referenced in the AS9102 standard. My personal definition is that the time is linear between any two points in the process i.e. start to start or finish to finish. Other colleagues have suggested that the lapse is finish to start, but I feel that could be skewed significantly. Example: 1000 parts are machined and then painted 10 per month for 100 months and delivered on the same schedule. If the finish to start analogy is used, then no FAI would be required when the machining is performed on the next 1000 units. If anyone could point me to a definition, I would be appreciative.:thanx:
Interpretation of AS9102

"5.3 (Continued)

The Organization shall perform a full FAI, or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following events occurs

5. A lapse in production for two years or as specified by the Customer."

So ... what you want to do is a full FAI on your initial run and then a Delta FAI on the plating, painting...

Note: only if the customer requires it.

In you example - the first 1000 will receive the full FAI (your sample size - usually 1 piece) then the 100 pieces per month will get a Delta FAI.

The 2 year period is for the initial manufacturing of the 1000 pieces. The intent is to make sure that in 2 years the characteristics of the products have not changed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
WCHorn AS9102 Paragraph 5.3-5 - Lapse in Production - FAI Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
I AS9102 lapse in production requirements - Customer FAI request AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T Would my AS 9110 certificate lapse due to non availability of auditors ? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
C Lapse between ISO 13485 certificate expiring and new audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Quality Management System not active for 6 months. Registration let it Lapse or Fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ed Panek Bringing Production In house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
D Valeo 5 Axes and VPS (Production System) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
C Medical Device Stability Studies - Non-validated pilot production Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
andika_untoro What are a good Critical to Quality (CTQ) metrics for a biotech manufacturing production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Ed Panek Bringing Production in house from Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ed Panek Observational Audit of Contract Manufacturer Production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 16
Q Methods to Calculate Available Production Rate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
T Logic that determines what production testing is needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Medical Devices: Product/Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Mass production handover check sheet (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 22
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D VDA 6.4 Audit checklist - Production tool suppliers VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
D Production Strategy in Construction & Heavy Industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A Operating criteria for production processes - ISO 14001 Cl. 8.1 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
A Return information production and post production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2