Definition Lapse in Production - Definition (AS9102)

T

Thundarr

I'm looking for advice on if there is a standardized definition to "lapse in production" as referenced in the AS9102 standard. My personal definition is that the time is linear between any two points in the process i.e. start to start or finish to finish. Other colleagues have suggested that the lapse is finish to start, but I feel that could be skewed significantly. Example: 1000 parts are machined and then painted 10 per month for 100 months and delivered on the same schedule. If the finish to start analogy is used, then no FAI would be required when the machining is performed on the next 1000 units. If anyone could point me to a definition, I would be appreciative.:thanx:

S

Shoes

Hello Thundarr,
The company I work for interprets the 2 year window by sales data. If a specific sales part number has not been sold (shipped to any Customer) in 2 years, a new AS9102 First Article Report is required.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm looking for advice on if there is a standardized definition to "lapse in production" as referenced in the AS9102 standard. My personal definition is that the time is linear between any two points in the process i.e. start to start or finish to finish. Other colleagues have suggested that the lapse is finish to start, but I feel that could be skewed significantly. Example: 1000 parts are machined and then painted 10 per month for 100 months and delivered on the same schedule. If the finish to start analogy is used, then no FAI would be required when the machining is performed on the next 1000 units. If anyone could point me to a definition, I would be appreciative.:thanx:

Interpretation of AS9102

"5.3 (Continued)

The Organization shall perform a full FAI, or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following events occurs

5. A lapse in production for two years or as specified by the Customer."

So ... what you want to do is a full FAI on your initial run and then a Delta FAI on the plating, painting...

Note: only if the customer requires it.

In you example - the first 1000 will receive the full FAI (your sample size - usually 1 piece) then the 100 pieces per month will get a Delta FAI.

The 2 year period is for the initial manufacturing of the 1000 pieces. The intent is to make sure that in 2 years the characteristics of the products have not changed.

Top Bottom