Late CA (Corrective Action) excuse or I'm too important or no response

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
I recently sent a corrective action request to a director because after several attempts and notifications to get timely corrective action on another request, he failed to respond. After elevating the problem of late responses :lmao:to the CEO (in accordance with our internal procedures) the director finally responded with the following in his own words for being late:

"The Director has recognized that timely corrective action is important. He is forced to manage urgency and simultaneously. He now understands that while urgent items must be addressed immediately, the important items must be addressed in a timely manner for the long term strategy. "The Urgent" often masqerades as the "The Important." The Director will hence use prioritization as a key to managing "The Urgent" and focusing on "The Important."

I promptly rejected the corrective action response.

Am I being too hard?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Late CA excuse or I'm too important.

It's a funny response, but I don't see a specific root cause identified, or a specific action to eliminate it. The Director hints that lack of prioritization is the cause in the last sentence though...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I recently sent a corrective action request to a director because after several attempts and notifications to get timely corrective action on another request, he failed to respond. After elevating the problem of late responses :lmao:to the CEO (in accordance with our internal procedures) the director finally responded with the following in his own words for being late:

"The Director has recognized that timely corrective action is important. He is forced to manage urgency and simultaneously. He now understands that while urgent items must be addressed immediately, the important items must be addressed in a timely manner for the long term strategy. "The Urgent" often masqerades as the "The Important." The Director will hence use prioritization as a key to managing "The Urgent" and focusing on "The Important."

I promptly rejected the corrective action response.

Am I being too hard?

I would reject it for him referring to himself in the the third person and for the sentence fragment ("He is forced to manage urgency and simultaneously.").:tg:

BradM

Leader
Admin

Aside from the surface humor of the response, :tg:

at least you got on. ;)

I would acknowledge appreciation for addressing the issue. However, I would request further corrective action in regards to timeframes for addressing the outstanding issues.

I would further look for preventive action to assure things don't sit out there that long again.

:)

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

Perhaps when I rejected it, I should have answered in the 3rd person.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I would reject it for him referring to himself in the the third person and for the sentence fragment ("He is forced to manage urgency and simultaneously.").:tg:
I take it English is not "The Director's" primary language.

For my part, I would just have to hear this guy talk! Upon receiving that, I would have picked up the phone (or waited up to place during the guy's business hours if he was in a different hemisphere.) Either it would be excruciatingly funny or excrutiatingly painful to hear his excuse in person.

I suppose it would be like talking to the President of the USA: You'd say, "Good morning, Mr. Director." He'd reply, "Who let this guy have my phone number!?"
;)

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

English is his first language! He just received Root Cause Corrective training from Boeing (a full day seminar) last month and this is how he responded to my request.
I asked my Quality Director if he thought this was a serious response, sadly he responded, "yes, that may be the best you will get unless you tell him what to say."
I cannot believe that I am going to help a director who was angry with me for writing him up for being excessively being late with his corrective action response in the first place.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

English is his first language! He just received Root Cause Corrective training from Boeing (a full day seminar) last month and this is how he responded to my request.
I asked my Quality Director if he thought this was a serious response, sadly he responded, "yes, that may be the best you will get unless you tell him what to say."
I cannot believe that I am going to help a director who was angry with me for writing him up for being excessively being late with his corrective action response in the first place.
Sounds like the Peter Principle is alive and well for Mr.Director.:mg:

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

Sad, but true. He has held the position for seven years.
His philosophy, Ship it! (QC always stops it if it is wrong) No wonder he is upset with me.
It's a good thing we have a strong QA/QC department with regard to product quality.
Now its time to get strong procedurely.

P

PotentCompoundSafety

Do a root cause analysis on this whole issue. I'm sure you would find that the person's job performance is being based on production quotas and not quality. Even if quality is included in job performance, it sounds like the metric aren't taken seriously. Needs a group discussion and resolution, not fingering pointing.

Top Bottom