Launch Change Request Form vs. Engineering Change Form

D

dianel

I have recently became the launch manager/project manager in our company and it appears there is an opportunity for commuication / change of scope/contract issues.

I would like to create a change request form so that when we are in the middle of a launch and the customers "scope" changes then we need a reveiw and sign off of all parties. The first part of my question is does anyone utilize this type of form right now and could i get a template?

The second half of my question is where is the fine line between an "engineering change request" and an actual scope change? In order to implement the correct tools i need to be verify specific on when to use which one. :bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Launch Change Request Form VS Engineering Change Form

I have recently became the launch manager/project manager in our company and it appears there is an opportunity for commuication / change of scope/contract issues.

I would like to create a change request form so that when we are in the middle of a launch and the customers "scope" changes then we need a reveiw and sign off of all parties. The first part of my question is does anyone utilize this type of form right now and could i get a template?

The second half of my question is where is the fine line between an "engineering change request" and an actual scope change? In order to implement the correct tools i need to be verify specific on when to use which one. :bonk:
What do you mean by "scope change"?

D

dianel

Joseph, what i mean by "scope" change is when the New Project say..starts out as we are going to package parts but midway through the customer says..you know what..we want to to package them and add a booklet to the side of the carton...then midway through that they say ..."you know...we would really like you to assemble this part and put it in the box too... These type of things would effect every department here ..and the "scope" of the project.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Joseph, what i mean by "scope" change is when the New Project say..starts out as we are going to package parts but midway through the customer says..you know what..we want to to package them and add a booklet to the side of the carton...then midway through that they say ..."you know...we would really like you to assemble this part and put it in the box too... These type of things would effect every department here ..and the "scope" of the project.
I'm Jim, not Joseph. :D
Without knowing more about your general contract review process and its output I'm just guessing here, but you should have some set of specifications, requirements, drawings, etc. that form the definition of a project. When something changes that affects the general scope (as you described it) you need to revise that "package," and the revision process should include in no particular order (as applicable):

• Feasibility analysis (including need for new capital expenditures, risk analysis, manufacturing capacity, etc.)
  • Clarification of ambiguous or subjective customer requirements
  • Pricing and purchase order review
  • Containment and disposition of existing product
  • Notifications to affected departments or people
  • Quality considerations: inspection requirements, gauging, etc.
  • Documentation updates (written procedures, work instructions)
I think you're correct to keep this process separate from the engineering change process, although the EC process might be invoked as part of it, where necessary.

I don't have a form or template (although someone else here might), but what you need to do is design and define the process. The form used to record the completion of the various tasks shouldn't be difficult to devise once you have a firm grasp on how the process should work.

D

DrM2u

Hi, dianel! You owe Joseph a baptizing gift for changing his name for the day. :lmao:

Back to business ... It would help to know what standard you are subscribing to (if any) in relation to this customer. Either way, there is this thing called 'customer changes' that is usually reviewed as part of customer specifications. The review usually takes place after the begining of and through the development of a project. Any customer changes should be reviewed prior to implementation for impact on project, cost, time line, product specifications, etc. The result of the review could be no change to the project, change in 'scope' or termination of the project if not feasible.

These customer changes could include an engineering change. The common understandig in the automotive industry is that a customer engineering change is a change that affects the design of the part (fit, form, function, safety, etc). Such changes usually imply a change in the drawings as well, accompanied by a formal review & approval of the changes.

If you are subscribing to TS 16949 there is a sub-clause in 7.3 for review of PROCESS design and development. Clause 7.3 in general addresses your situation prety well regarding the design and development of a process.

Bottom line is that I agree with Jim (or is that Joseph). The engineering change and customer change review processes should be separate although they do interract heavily with eachother. The reason for my position: an external engineering change could come from the customer as a cusotmer change that needs to be reviewed. An internal engineering change could takes place internally whether on not triggered by a change from the customer (i.e. a process change following a Kaizen event).

Hope this helps a little.

D

dianel

:applause:
Hi, dianel! You owe Joseph a baptizing gift for changing his name for the day. :lmao:

Back to business ... It would help to know what standard you are subscribing to (if any) in relation to this customer. Either way, there is this thing called 'customer changes' that is usually reviewed as part of customer specifications. The review usually takes place after the begining of and through the development of a project. Any customer changes should be reviewed prior to implementation for impact on project, cost, time line, product specifications, etc. The result of the review could be no change to the project, change in 'scope' or termination of the project if not feasible.

These customer changes could include an engineering change. The common understandig in the automotive industry is that a customer engineering change is a change that affects the design of the part (fit, form, function, safety, etc). Such changes usually imply a change in the drawings as well, accompanied by a formal review & approval of the changes.

If you are subscribing to TS 16949 there is a sub-clause in 7.3 for review of PROCESS design and development. Clause 7.3 in general addresses your situation prety well regarding the design and development of a process.

Bottom line is that I agree with Jim (or is that Joseph). The engineering change and customer change review processes should be separate although they do interract heavily with eachother. The reason for my position: an external engineering change could come from the customer as a cusotmer change that needs to be reviewed. An internal engineering change could takes place internally whether on not triggered by a change from the customer (i.e. a process change following a Kaizen event).

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Felony Melony New Product Launch - Safe Launch Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
B GM GP-12 Exit Criteria - Additional Safe Launch Inspection - (Also see GM1927-28 ) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
J General Motors SSE Launch Algorithm - SCMS's Service Industry Specific Topics 0
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
N Preparing a supplier readiness report (advanced launch report) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B How do you approach the "Safe Launch" Process APQP and PPAP 17
C VFA PVS 0-Series S-Series - During a launch of VW product. APQP and PPAP 3
AnaMariaVR2 Soyuz TMA-08M docks with ISS just six hours after launch World News 2
S Transfer of Product to Production - EPC/Safe Launch/GP12 and VDA 6.3 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
H Explaination of Launch Readiness & Contract Review and APQP Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Marc Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Ajit Basrur China to launch 100 rockets, 100 satellites by 2015 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
P Is Safe Launch Plan an ISO TS 16949 Requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Definition Launch an Order (Work Order or Project) - Design and Development - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Marc A NASA Failure Analysis of the April 28 2010 failed balloon launch World News 0
M RoHs and Weee Requirements for a planned market launch in 2010 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B New Japanese automotive launch (composite plastics molding) - Acceptable Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
bio_subbu US FDA plans to launch new website US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J The difference between Safe Launch and Pre-Launch? FMEA and Control Plans 4
J Which will be the differences between PFMEA and Pre-Launch PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 4
J Are the Pre-Launch Control Plan and Pre-Launch PFMEA obligatory? FMEA and Control Plans 3
P First Article Inspection - FAI for every new product launch AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Validation Testing - How many unit should I test prior to launch? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Need some suggestions from Quality Experts - Production Launch Visit. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Anerol C Internal Auditing: New Product Launch Internal Auditing 11
CarolX PPM Reduction Action Plans - Goal of 10 PPM's at Production Launch IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T PPM Production Launch and Reduction Action Plan examples needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Documentation required for launch of a non-sterile exempt class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q How Many Control Plans Needed? Prototype, Pre-launch and Production? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Q Streamlined APQP and The Flawless Launch Scorecard APQP and PPAP 2
E NASA Scrubs Tuesday Shuttle Launch - Forbes World News 0
P Indian Auto major Tata motors planning to launch 2200USD cars World News 3
M Product Launch Plan "Checklist" and Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Jim Wynne Shuttle Launch Delayed World News 0
D Single Minute Exchange of Die - Preparing to launch a SMED project Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
N College Project - Taking ideas from inception through to launch and achieved success Six Sigma 12
B Safe Launch Plan (SLP) - Seeking Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
H Launch Readiness Review - Ford's LRR Supplier Pack Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
V Pre-Launch Control Plan Contents - What should I include? FMEA and Control Plans 4
qualprod What do CB´s change when doing a partial moving ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Y Algo change significancy Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
Z Iterative development and FDA change requests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Medical Device - Change manufacturing plant Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17