Launching Six Sigma

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are a light engineering company producing fasteners employing about 400 people, weve gone thgrough TQ, Kaizen etc. etc. and we are now moving into the Six Sigma arena. You guys have been there before so I hope you can advise me.

Are there any suggestions as to how we can promote Six Sigma internally?

Are there any pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bev Daniels

How to promote six sigma? well, I wouldn't use any metric that involves the number of projects. Similarly I would be careful about advertising cost savings. Not that I wouldn't do it, but $ are tough. IN the begining you'll work problems that cost a lot of money. BUt since project cost savings has a pareto dstribution, your later projcts won't save as much money as the earlier ones. This doens't mean the later projects aren't good, although the unitiated (including some senior managerS) may make that judgement. This would be a negative. Also, some projects are valuable because of their affect on cycle time - hard to quantify dollars there. I've worked projects where the defect caused rework that was pretty cheap - but a great many of th eunits were reworked. I could never "justify" the project based on cost, but the affect on cycle time was enourmous. In fact in several of these projects the affect of the slow cycle times put contracts in jeapordy because we couldn't meet the ordered capacities. Sometimes tiem si more valuable than money!

I would promote the defect rate coming down. Not in terms of theoretical (Cpk) defect rates but in terms that are more accurate and that everyone can understand: actual defect rates! That is your true (leading indicator) measure of success - the resulting cost savings or cuycle time affects are results of reducing the defect rate. Publish then the defect rate and thenthe resutling cost or cycle time savings as appropriate. And be clear the the cost & ccyle time savings are a result of the defect rate!! THis focuses the organiation on the right metric - the one they can directly influence using six sigma....

Bev DAniels
[email protected]
(The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employer - present, past or future.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Launching Minitab in Production Cells Using Minitab Software 2
A Launching a CE Mark Class I (non-measuring and non-sterilzed) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Waste Segregation and Recycling - Ideas for Launching & Jazzing up 'Green Day'. Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Raffy Steps In Launching ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 7
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
T AS9100 Shop Travelers - Six Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
Gman2 Can I use ONLY the six required procedures in my ISO 9001 QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ajit Basrur Six countries that make up half the world?s population Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
N DNV issuing six year ISO 9001 certificates? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
B Six ISO 13485 Queries Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
AnaMariaVR2 Soyuz TMA-08M docks with ISS just six hours after launch World News 2
I Mobile Equipment - Six label printer to be used in different areas Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2