Layout Inspection and Functional Testing

C
"a layout inspection and a functional verification shall be performed for all products at a frequency established by the customer." from 4.10.4.1 #40 of QS9K

Here layout inspection means we must measure all dimensions showed on design drawings
or we measure some dimensions decided by us ?

have a nice day. APR.,09/1999

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I believe it is Chrysler which mandates a yearly layout. It is now in QS9000. It is the same layout you did for PPAP, as I understand it.

B

Batman

Hi Chen!

Many of our first and second tier customers require an "annual PPAP." This is to fulfill the QS9000 requirement to their customers. There is another reason. You should be making product to the latest [agreed-to] customer revision. Since many of our customers transmit orders via a kanban type electronic system, from a blanket order, they are only asking for a part number and quantity. Rarely do these daily / weekly orders include versions, or revisions, to their drawings. So an annual PPAP assures at least a review of your documentation system and their files contain the latest drawing revision submission from us, and allows them to be able to submit PPAP to their customers.

We are not required to perform annual layouts for some of our customers if there has been a PPAP submitted for any reason in past 6 months. We have this in writing from them.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Batman:

Thanks for helping out with some details. It's a 1 piece inspection of every dimension on the drawing (and each note as well) as I understand it. Am I correct?

B

Batman

Yes, each feature on the drawing - dimensions, notes, material properties, surface finish, gage, etc. Also, at least one part from each cavity, too. Some customers want 2 per cavity, fixture, etc. If you have a 16 cavity tool, 16 layout sheets are needed. We have several duplicate assembly fixtures that produce the same part - that means a layout for each.

K

kavosh

Dear colleagues,

I read the comments on Layout inspection. I've been taught that layout inspection includes tearing down the product and measuring all and every point mentioned in the drawing/specs on every part of the product. The emphasis was on all parts of the product.

Is that correct?

Thanks

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by kavosh:

I've been taught that layout inspection includes tearing down the product and measuring all and every point mentioned in the drawing/specs on every part of the product. The emphasis was on all parts of the product.

Is that correct?
It can be. Typically a layout inspection is where you take the print and a part (or in your case an assembly) and you measure every feature on the print. However, some customers only ask for critical characteristics be verified. In the case of an assembly, I have not personally seen a requirement that an assembly be broken down and all sub-parts measured to print - this is typically done by the suppliers of the individual parts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.6.2 - Layout Inspection and Functional Testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Layout Inspection and Functional Testing - "Product" in 8.2.4.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J 'Final Inspection' and 'Layout & Functional Testing' - Part of Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 9
A Annual Requirements - TS 16949 - 8.2.4.1 Layout Inspection and Functional Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Layout inspection and functional testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
J How does Layout Inspection determine Reference Value? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B TS 16949 PPAP/ Layout Inspection Frequency Requirements APQP and PPAP 8
L TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - Should we pay for this ? APQP and PPAP 4
Z New Inspection Department Layout - 5S, Lean, etc... Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Layout inspection - product family approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Layout Inspection - Sound systems to a German car manufacturer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Layout Inspection Format and Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Layout and Dimensional Inspection Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
B Can I do layout inspection and product audit at the same time and plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Definition Product Audit (8.2.2.3) vs. Layout Inspection (8.2.4.1) - What are the differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
A Layout inspection - When is a layout inspection required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Layout inspection content - Auditor said we should do an annual audit also Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
A 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - When is a full layout required and how often? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A Layout Inspection & Product inspection - Can We Eliminate Product Audit? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A TS 16949 Section 8.2.4.1 - Layout inspection vs. QS-9000 Section 4.10.4.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 - Yearly Layout Inspection Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
N Do I have to do a Layout Inspection? Automotive Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Microbiological Testing Lab - Layout & Standards Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Is Gage R&R required on a 100% Dimensional Layout? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
E ISO 17025 Compliant Laboratory Layout ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
O Make Layout Higher Resolution? Using Minitab Software 1
O Matlab Layout Command to Increase Size Using Minitab Software 1
M Reporting Composite FCF on Layout (GD&T) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Q Is there a recommended lab layout for a ISO TS requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N CMM Layout Data Dispute between two CMM Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Does the Layout Design of a PCB fall under clause 7.3 in ISO 9001 Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
Q Best tools to use to determine the best layout of a given area (Office) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
N General Microbiological Laboratory Layout and Required Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Would like to remodel our QA Layout Laboratory - Your ideas appreciated Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Warehouse Layout Design Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
I Layout Audit Requirements vs. Batch Inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
O The Layout of Dimensional Results and What to Provide the Customer APQP and PPAP 16
B Laboratory Layout - Please comment & give ideas on my proposal General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
H Lean Office and Office Layout - Sales, customer service, marketing, accounting, HR Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Plant Layouts - What should be in a Plant Layout? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8