Lead, Involute & Tooth spacing - Must it be certified by Accreditated Labs?

K

kat.k.

I am having alot of trouble finding an accredited lab to IEC/ISO 17025 to certify our lead, involute and tooth spacing machines. If we cannot find an accredited lab we can use the original manufacturer. Does anyone know an accredited lab to perform these services? Does it say anywhere in TS16949 on how many labs to search before you can say you can't find one?

Thank you,
kat.k.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I am having alot of trouble finding an accredited lab to IEC/ISO 17025 to certify our lead, involute and tooth spacing machines. If we cannot find an accredited lab we can use the original manufacturer. Does anyone know an accredited lab to perform these services? Does it say anywhere in TS16949 on how many labs to search before you can say you can't find one?

Thank you,
kat.k.

Hello kat.k,

If you can not find an accredited lab to calibrate your gear inspection machines, it is OK to go back to the original manufacturer of that equipment.

ISO/TS does not include a requirement for "how many labs to search."

Have you asked your gear inspection/testing equipment manufacturer for recommendations?

Stijloor.

Q

qualitytoughnut - 2010

Thank you,
kat.k.

Hi Kat
Welcome to the cove

Try this site:http://www.kellysearch.com/Results....y&radioButtonSearchType=company&isSearchBox=Y

This may help :bigwave::bigwave:

K

kat.k.

Thanks for your replies. We have decided to go back to the original manufacturer. TS has a note that if using the original manufacturer, the lab should have a laboratory scope that states the adequacy of the laboratory procedures, competency of the laboratory personnel, testing of the product and capability to perform these services correctly, traceable to the relevant process standard and review of the related records. This manufacturer doesn't have a scope. On the certification, it is traceable to the NIST and in accordance with ISO/FDIS 18653, ISO 10012-1 and the machine's manufacturer procedure. Shouldn't we be covered on this even if they do not have a scope? What is ISO/FDIS 18653 accredited to? If it is the original manufacturer, shouldn't they be qualified to perform the calibration?

Thanks
Kat

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for your replies. We have decided to go back to the original manufacturer. TS has a note that if using the original manufacturer, the lab should have a laboratory scope that states the adequacy of the laboratory procedures, competency of the laboratory personnel, testing of the product and capability to perform these services correctly, traceable to the relevant process standard and review of the related records. This manufacturer doesn't have a scope. On the certification, it is traceable to the NIST and in accordance with ISO/FDIS 18653, ISO 10012-1 and the machine's manufacturer procedure. Shouldn't we be covered on this even if they do not have a scope? What is ISO/FDIS 18653 accredited to? If it is the original manufacturer, shouldn't they be qualified to perform the calibration?

Thanks
Kat

Hello Kat,

The scope of the OM's lab is simply a statement of what this lab does and its capabilities. They may already have such a document.

On ISO/FDIS 18653? That's not an accreditation. From the ISO site, look here:

Reference : ISO/FDIS 18653 Available : 2002-06 as IS
Gears -- Evaluation of gear measuring instruments
Proposed Action : initiate Committee Draft
Comments : Contains measurement uncertainty determination

Here is a link that may help clarify the activities of the ISO Technical Committee 60 that is concerned with the gear business.

I think you're on the right track.

Stijloor.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Thank you,
kat.k.
I don't know whether this will fly in TS16949, but I do know that it passed ISO9001 for 5 years running. We were in the same situation, but with the added issue that the OEM did not provide calibration services. However, they did refer us to a retiree from their company that did provide such services. He was not accredited, but we documented a paper trail showing due diligence in trying to locate a certified house, the response from the OEM and the referal. This guy was literally the only game in town. He serviced the entire USA with no competition.

K

kat.k.

Hello Kat,

The scope of the OM's lab is simply a statement of what this lab does and its capabilities. They may already have such a document.

On ISO/FDIS 18653? That's not an accreditation. From the ISO site, look here:

Reference : ISO/FDIS 18653 Available : 2002-06 as IS
Gears -- Evaluation of gear measuring instruments
Proposed Action : initiate Committee Draft
Comments : Contains measurement uncertainty determination

Here is a link that may help clarify the activities of the ISO Technical Committee 60 that is concerned with the gear business.

I think you're on the right track.

Stijloor.

I searched about 7 or 8 labs. I think this would suffcient. Thank you for all your help.

Kat

Top Bottom