Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support

andrev

Involved In Discussions
I have been in a similar situation, where the production and site management were not willing or interested to implement any Quality Related changes as their metrics were products out the door on time. They were indifferent to if this had to be recalled later or failed QC release because all they were monitored on was batches leaving production on time.

It eventually took an audit by our Notified Body giving us a major non-conformance against "Top Management failing to fully resource and support the Quality Management System" before it opened their eyes to the fact that things needed to change. After this, there were rapid and wide-reaching changes made.

I realise this does not help you overly much, but make sure you have documented your concerns, issues and that these have been raised appropriately then if the situation above does occur you have objective evidence that the roadblock in your QMS is management.

Also; you say you have no authority but as the Responsible Party for Quality you should have some form of responsibility to enforce the requirements of any standards you conform to on the business.

How is internal audit going for you? This is usually an excellent way to flag up issues to management. If all Notified Body and Internal audits are returning with no findings and all being well then it can be very difficult to justify an increase in spending on Quality when it may be perceived by management as not required.
Pretty much my situation, management just never saw me ass adding value, if you don't have a hammer or a screwdriver in your hand you ain"t working. My boss cannot stand paperwork and he does not like me doing it, he says whether or not he has a system or not the product is manufactured and will then be invoiced, and that puts money on the table and not some QMS.

... whether or not he has a system or not the product is manufactured and will then be invoiced, and that puts money on the table and not some QMS.
Are they going to run this company by themselves forever? Are they looking to exit or be bought out? Are they looking to hand this off to their children or relatives?

As working for a company who acquired another factory, I can say that a good company with a good product and an outdated, unmaintained, underresourced QMS will be bought at a fantastic discount and this WILL come out in the due diligence investigation.

With the company we acquired, they were our main contractor and we co-developed their QMS. We knew we were not buying a headache and paid a premium for it.

Seems like they're fishing everyday just to catch that night's dinner.

andrev

Involved In Discussions
Have you all been passing registrar audits? And yes always go to the workers and make procedures from what's actually being done, then make adjustments. Let them be a part of the process and give them plenty of chances for input and feedback.
Yes, we get audited by the Lab who test our products and their CB on the QMS side. They seem to audit what we have and don't give much attention on all 9001:2015 clauses. So yes I have always passed.

andrev

Involved In Discussions
Are they going to run this company by themselves forever? Are they looking to exit or be bought out? Are they looking to hand this off to their children or relatives?

As working for a company who acquired another factory, I can say that a good company with a good product and an outdated, unmaintained, underresourced QMS will be bought at a fantastic discount and this WILL come out in the due diligence investigation.

With the company we acquired, they were our main contractor and we co-developed their QMS. We knew we were not buying a headache and paid a premium for it.

Seems like they're fishing everyday just to catch that night's dinner.
Good feedback, thank you, we are presently being pressurized to conform and to move with the times but I seem to be the only one worrying about this.

I have been in your position in many small to mid size companies I have worked for and with. Golfmans suggestions are good basic principals for all Quality personnel and will go a long way to changing attitudes. In my own experience, for what it is worth, I have found that if I seek out the top person in the production trenches, just below the Owner, and find out what they think is the biggest issue on their plate keeping then from higher production, not something that has been a nonconformance, just a production issue and hindrance, then address that with a cost effective Quality centric solution, i.e. use root cause and data analysis techniques to identify the source and devise a solution that removes the impediment to production, you will then have a powerful ally in changing management attitudes. Don't wait for a rejection to trigger the effort, offer the aid. Show that you and the QMS are an aid at all times. The reality I've seen is that most owners relay heavily on the Production manager and their opinions, and if you can show that the QMS is an aid to production instead of a hindrance cooperation will increase greatly.

andrev

Involved In Discussions
I have been in your position in many small to mid size companies I have worked for and with. Golfmans suggestions are good basic principals for all Quality personnel and will go a long way to changing attitudes. In my own experience, for what it is worth, I have found that if I seek out the top person in the production trenches, just below the Owner, and find out what they think is the biggest issue on their plate keeping then from higher production, not something that has been a nonconformance, just a production issue and hindrance, then address that with a cost effective Quality centric solution, i.e. use root cause and data analysis techniques to identify the source and devise a solution that removes the impediment to production, you will then have a powerful ally in changing management attitudes. Don't wait for a rejection to trigger the effort, offer the aid. Show that you and the QMS are an aid at all times. The reality I've seen is that most owners relay heavily on the Production manager and their opinions, and if you can show that the QMS is an aid to production instead of a hindrance cooperation will increase greatly.
Thank you, very good advise, will sure act on it.

Top Bottom