Lean Manufacturing Concepts Discussion

S

sudarsan

i am sudarsan a student. i am interested in Lean Concepts.i was thinking on starting a new thread on discussion about Lean thinking . Everyone can give their views about Lean thinking. since most of them are in industries it would be great if they come out real practical example.i would like to go by this way

1. Discussion on Topic and concepts of Lean Manufacturing. The discussion can be weekly or it can continue till topic dies out.

2. i will be posting Book overviews or just the glimpses on each topic of discussion . As a student , i think i can only do that now.i will refer some books and will discuss about that in the Forum.

3.Member can suggest Topic of discussion and we can discuss on that.

4. We can even discuss articles ,white papers which we find interesting to discuss.

i am starting this thread to learn lean from industrial experts .Hope i will get real support from all the members.

Thanks

sudarsan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

triner

Re: Discussion on Lean Thinking

I posted a message in book forum with a similar idea, but perhaps this may be the better place for it since most of the books I have read are related to lean also.

I look forward to some interesting discussion.

S

sudarsan

Re: Discussion on Topic and Concepts of Lean Manufacturing

i would like to Start a discussion on how lean concept came into this world of manufacturing.Interested members can give their replies on this topic. I would appreciate if members can post good articles on this topic and discussion.

Looking forward for more replies.

Thank you

sudarsan

Randy

Super Moderator

It came into being because of the need to be more profitable, everything else is secondary.

S

sudarsan

i would like to give my view on how lean manufacturing came to this world.When i was searching for some details about this in google , i came across a article giving some history of Lean Manufacturing which i would like to share with you People.After reading that articles, i would say best way to understand Lean manufacturing is to start with its roots in the Toyota Production System. Toyota started by following the basic principles set out by Henry Ford with the moving assembly line.

Henry Ford preached the importance of creating continuous material flow, standardizing processes, and eliminating waste. When Ford started producing millions of black Model-Ts which evolved to be a wasteful Batch production, they gave a call for eliminating the waste in production which ultimately turned out to be foundation or basic of lean thinking. Since the Toyota did not have luxury space, money and large production system like ford they developed a flexible system to respond customer demand .This turned out to be very effective one which is so called Toyota production system.

Attachments

Randy

Super Moderator

Instead of wasting your time discussing the "how" why don't you try to understand the "why"?

A

asutherland

There are a lot of threads here on lean thinking . . . and even some good ones on lean doing.

Is it possible to carry lean too far?

Hummm, dont know . . . for me, I am so lean, I swallow a wad of tissue paper about a half hour before potty . . . so I don't have to waste time to wipe.

S

sudarsan

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply. yes as you said WHY ?.Here are few reasons why lean was implemented.

1.Reduce Lead time.
2.Increse the productivity.
3.Reduce WIP inventory.
4.Improve the Quality.
5.Improve Space utilization.
6.Minimize Waste

The above can be operational improvements.

some of the other reasons may be

1.Reduction in order Processing errors.
2.Reduction of Paper work in office areas.
3.Streamlining of customer service functions so that customers are no longer placed on hold.

These can be administrative improvements.

so these are few reasons why lean was implemented .

sudarsan

Randy

Super Moderator

Everything you listed is secondary and essentially meaningless to the higher level decision makers in business?

Answer this.....

Why? For what basic reason would an organization do all the gibberish you posted?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Randy said:
Everything you listed is secondary and essentially meaningless to the higher level decision makers in business?

Answer this.....

Why? For what basic reason would an organization do all the gibberish you posted?

I would have to disagree. I have seen many top management folks interested in some of these items at various times. Certainly not "gibberish." A lot will affect profit to one degree or another.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Examples of Mura and Muri to be used in Training - Key Concepts on Lean Manufacturing Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
M Interesting Discussion Lean Manufacturing Concepts - Is 'Lean' hype? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 215
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
O Lean Tools in Labour Intensive Manual Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20
F Looking for some type of training on Lean Manufacturing video or web training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Availability of Lean Manufacturing Training The Woodlands TX Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
O Lean Manufacturing Implementation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
L How Lean Can Manufacturing Get? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Lean Sigma Manufacturing Handoff Package Contents FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Lean Manufacturing in the Food Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
R Demand Flow Technology vs. Lean Manufacturing - Same method with just another name? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
C Lean Manufacturing Implementation and Training Materials - Recommendations wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Z Lean Manufacturing Conferences - Could anyone suggest some good conferences? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Where can one get trained in belts and lean manufacturing? Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
B Quality & Lean Written Quiz on terms and defintion of Quality and Lean Manufacturing Software Quality Assurance 8
R Beyond Lean manufacturing - Operation management / Performance improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Cell Manufacturing - Project to implement lean manufacturing principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Lean To Attack Manufacturing Wastes Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
hogheavenfarm Lean manufacturing seminars in NY/CT area? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
C HMLV Lean Questions - PCB manufacturing industry Value Stream Mapping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T At what stage in a company's life can you introduce Lean Manufacturing Principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
A Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 30
E Lean Manufacturing Presentation - What should I include? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
J Lean Manufacturing without stability - Rate it 1 to 5. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
D Lean 6 Sigma book recommendations for young, inexperienced manufacturing Engineers Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
A Does anyone know some metrics can I use to measure Lean Manufacturing? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
J Lean Manufacturing using the FMEA? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P The Significance of Lean and Six Sigma Outside Manufacturing - Thesis Questionnaire Six Sigma 0
S Student needs advice on his career in the field of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Career and Occupation Discussions 14
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
A What is the expectation of Lean manufacturing plans in Visteon specific requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
P Definition Lean Manufacturing - Definitions of (thesis assignment) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
R Surveys about Quality Management and Lean Manufacturing The Reading Room 0
M Lean Manufacturing Overview Aimed at Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
A VSM (Value Stream Management) for service industry - Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Wes Bucey Body of Knowledge for Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 47
S SAE Jrr 003 (RR-003?) - SAE J4000 - Lean Manufacturing - Status Evaluation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
M Lean Manufacturing, SAP and 8.2.4 - No records indicating release of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Any folks have article, insight about Lean / Lean manufacturing to share? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 12
WALLACE LEAN 'manufacturing' within a Leasing environment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
G Low Hanging Fruit - Lean Manufacturing Ideas for a Job Shop Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
A TS 16949 Clause 6.3.1 and Lean Manufacturing - Any guideline for implementation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Lean Manufacturing - Eliminating Inspection - Can Quality Survive? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 49
A Linkage of ISO 9001:2000, ISO/TS16949 and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
Q Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
A Lean Manufacturing - How do I change my company's Culture? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 26
S Teams and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20