Lean Manufacturing Concepts Discussion

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Lean Manufacturing - Discussion on Concepts

Yes , the whole issue needs de bunking.
I was at a large multinational that used 6 sigma to find out that operator error is caused by discipline.
They also had a target of 50 programs a year.:frust: :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
H

Hugo Gon?alves

Hello Everyone,

Out of the blue here, but anyonecan tell me what is LESAT in lean context.
I believe it is some kind of assesment tool. If so, does anybody has some literature or files about it?

Thanks

C

Chagrin Rick

Re: Discussion on Topic and Concepts of Lean Manufacturing

There are a lot of threads here on lean thinking . . . and even some good ones on lean doing.

Is it possible to carry lean too far?

Hummm, dont know . . . for me, I am so lean, I swallow a wad of tissue paper about a half hour before potty . . . so I don't have to waste time to wipe.
Good one!

D

Des Williams

I have a few questions I would like you guys to think about !!

Why do we call this lean and make a big hype about it ?
Is it to get people focused on what is needed in a business ?
Why arent we already focused on this?
Why does a company needs so called "fads" to implement change?
(no one needs to defend Lean, I am not calling it a Fad - but using it as an example)

There is only one answer to all of those questions! if you are not doing above already your management is not focused on the business needs / customer needs... when this happens there is only one direction your company will head. (putting in lean and looking for quick wins will never fix this under pinning problem)

All the things in lean / six sigma / VAVE are very simple concepts that we all do in our day to day family life ....but we dont have any consultants helping us on the way ....

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

All the things in lean / six sigma / VAVE are very simple concepts that we all do in our day to day family life ....but we dont have any consultants helping us on the way ....
Great point 12345. I totally agree with you. :applause:

C

Chagrin Rick

12345 asks:
"Why do we call this lean?"

I'm not sure. It's a bad moniker. I end up having to explain to employees that, no, it's not about getting rid of their jobs and to managers that, no, it's not (primarily) about cost cutting. And it sure as heck has nothing to do with getting "mean". I (and others) prefer to call it "agile manufacturing". For one, that's more accurate.

"...and why do we make a big hype about it?"
Who's making the big hype? The business press? They're in the business of selling mags. Of course they hype whatever they can. Consultants? We can't sell what folks don't want so which comes first the chicken (organizations ask us to provide specific services) or the egg (we market specific services that organizations buy)? If there were more hype, perhaps more organizations would actually be implementing it.

"Is it to get people to focus on what's needed in a business?"
Too much of the literature and discussion I've seen on lean has the wrong (or at least, slightly off track) focus as it is, so I don't think this is it.

"Why aren't we already focused on this?"
That's the $64,000 question. Why can't I get a roomful of senior execs who'll discuss at length the minutiae of carrier pricing to discuss the strategic implications of improved product quality? Point being, even the folks at the top of the house aren't focused on the right things.

"Why does a company needs so called "fads" to implement change?"
It's only a fad if you don't stick with it.

"All the things in lean / six sigma / VAVE are very simple concepts that we all do in our day to day family life ....but we dont have any consultants helping us on the way ...."
I don't have an accountant to help me balance my checkbook. I don't have a staff engineer to help me change the oil in my car. I don't have Emeril fix my supper. Families and most companies differ in goals, resources, and complexity. The comparison isn't apt.

C

Chagrin Rick

Hjilling asks:
"Two, "Lean" done right, does not ADD cost??!! If Lean adds cost, why the H*** would we want to do it???"

Because it might help us differentiate our product in some other way that is attractive to the market. Like get it there faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chagrin Rick

RCBeyette asks:
"Simplistic situation:

If our competition is making a widget at a cost of $10 and selling at $20, they're making $10 profit.

If costs us $15 but we too sell at $20, we're only making $5.

Who stands the better chance at survival? (Yes, I know, there are other factors here...I said this was a simplistic situation)."

I don't know. Are we selling more of our widgets because, even though they cost the same, we get them to the customer quicker, they last longer, work better, and we have better customer service? Then we might make more profit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Examples of Mura and Muri to be used in Training - Key Concepts on Lean Manufacturing Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
M Interesting Discussion Lean Manufacturing Concepts - Is 'Lean' hype? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 215
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
O Lean Tools in Labour Intensive Manual Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20
F Looking for some type of training on Lean Manufacturing video or web training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Availability of Lean Manufacturing Training The Woodlands TX Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
O Lean Manufacturing Implementation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
L How Lean Can Manufacturing Get? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Lean Sigma Manufacturing Handoff Package Contents FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Lean Manufacturing in the Food Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
R Demand Flow Technology vs. Lean Manufacturing - Same method with just another name? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
C Lean Manufacturing Implementation and Training Materials - Recommendations wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Z Lean Manufacturing Conferences - Could anyone suggest some good conferences? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Where can one get trained in belts and lean manufacturing? Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
B Quality & Lean Written Quiz on terms and defintion of Quality and Lean Manufacturing Software Quality Assurance 8
R Beyond Lean manufacturing - Operation management / Performance improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Cell Manufacturing - Project to implement lean manufacturing principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Lean To Attack Manufacturing Wastes Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
hogheavenfarm Lean manufacturing seminars in NY/CT area? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
C HMLV Lean Questions - PCB manufacturing industry Value Stream Mapping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T At what stage in a company's life can you introduce Lean Manufacturing Principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
A Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 30
E Lean Manufacturing Presentation - What should I include? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
J Lean Manufacturing without stability - Rate it 1 to 5. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
D Lean 6 Sigma book recommendations for young, inexperienced manufacturing Engineers Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
A Does anyone know some metrics can I use to measure Lean Manufacturing? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
J Lean Manufacturing using the FMEA? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P The Significance of Lean and Six Sigma Outside Manufacturing - Thesis Questionnaire Six Sigma 0
S Student needs advice on his career in the field of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Career and Occupation Discussions 14
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
A What is the expectation of Lean manufacturing plans in Visteon specific requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
P Definition Lean Manufacturing - Definitions of (thesis assignment) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
R Surveys about Quality Management and Lean Manufacturing The Reading Room 0
M Lean Manufacturing Overview Aimed at Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
A VSM (Value Stream Management) for service industry - Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Wes Bucey Body of Knowledge for Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 47
S SAE Jrr 003 (RR-003?) - SAE J4000 - Lean Manufacturing - Status Evaluation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
M Lean Manufacturing, SAP and 8.2.4 - No records indicating release of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Any folks have article, insight about Lean / Lean manufacturing to share? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 12
WALLACE LEAN 'manufacturing' within a Leasing environment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
G Low Hanging Fruit - Lean Manufacturing Ideas for a Job Shop Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
A TS 16949 Clause 6.3.1 and Lean Manufacturing - Any guideline for implementation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Lean Manufacturing - Eliminating Inspection - Can Quality Survive? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 49
A Linkage of ISO 9001:2000, ISO/TS16949 and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
Q Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
A Lean Manufacturing - How do I change my company's Culture? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 26
S Teams and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20