Lean Manufacturing Concepts Discussion

A

artichoke

Re: Lean Manufacturing - Discussion on Concepts

...Or by holding on by Deming's words, "Eliminate fear". If only midlle/lower management would (and can!) draw the real picture to top management and not what the "President/CEO wishes to hear". So sad it seems like "one-sided reports/presentations" are so common. But who would dare tell the truth if that means suicidal?
Very good point.

Six Sigma's approach is in marked contrast to Deming's humanistic view. Mikel Harry says: "The key is to make fear a driving force" "In short, numbers-oriented thinking applies to people as much as it applies to processes and products." These are not the words of a man with a philosophy designed to support people or with a belief that people are at the heart of all that we do in business.

I believe that there is much less fear about speaking out against six sigma now than just 8 months ago. In April 2006 I had a paper "Sick Sigma" published. Magazine editors told me that it would be too upsetting for their advertisers, but I did eventually find a brave publisher. I was also concerned that my telling the truth about six sigma, might have negative effects on my business. When the article was published, the editor was relieved by the response of overwhelming support. A follow up article will be published next month ... the editor is enthusiastic.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions

"Sick sigma"--> Nice words to describe it.:biglaugh:

I was also concerned that my telling the truth about six sigma, might have negative effects on my business. When the article was published, the editor was relieved by the response of overwhelming support. A follow up article will be published next month ... the editor is enthusiastic.

I admire the courage to speak-up. Congratulations!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Very good point.

Six Sigma's approach is in marked contrast to Deming's humanistic view. Mikel Harry says: "The key is to make fear a driving force" "In short, numbers-oriented thinking applies to people as much as it applies to processes and products." These are not the words of a man with a philosophy designed to support people or with a belief that people are at the heart of all that we do in business.

I believe that there is much less fear about speaking out against six sigma now than just 8 months ago. In April 2006 I had a paper "Sick Sigma" published. Magazine editors told me that it would be too upsetting for their advertisers, but I did eventually find a brave publisher. I was also concerned that my telling the truth about six sigma, might have negative effects on my business. When the article was published, the editor was relieved by the response of overwhelming support. A follow up article will be published next month ... the editor is enthusiastic.
I read that article in Quality Digest. I am pleased to learn the author is a fellow Cover. Steve Prevette will probably also be pleased to learn of a kindred spirit. I'm looking forward to the followup. Would you like to post a link to the QD article or do you prefer to remain semi-anonymous?

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions

I read that article in Quality Digest. I am pleased to learn the author is a fellow Cover.

Just read it now. Makes me proud to be a Cover. I'll wait for the follow-up.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I think i rather have Artichoke do that, for courtesy's sake should he opt to remain anonymous. Hope you dont mind, :)
Yep. That's why I asked in my post! Courtesy among members is always foremost here in the Cove.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Pl post the website link of the Quality Digest

We are always linked to Quality Digest - just check the right hand side bar of this page. Its below the IRCA & SAE link.

Top Bottom