Definition Lean Manufacturing - Definitions of (thesis assignment)

P

pinder

hai everybody can you please provide me definition(s) of lean manufacturing by different authors

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
pinder said:
hai everybody can you please provide me definition(s) of lean manufacturing by different authors
We could, of course, just list some authors on Lean and their working definitions, but I have a hunch that won't serve your true purpose unless you are seeking someone to do a homework assignment.

Please tell us why you feel you need definitions of Lean from different authors. Most folks would want OUR idea of one best definition or even an [FONT=Arial,verdana]amalgam [/FONT]of several definitions combined into one best definition, The natural follow-up to that would be HOW to go about identifying "nonLean" conditions in an organization's processes, THEN suggestions on effective ways to transform from nonLean to Lean.

Otherwise, if all you want are definitions without any insight as to their relative value in real world thinking, it might be better to ask us to help you formulate Google search parameters.

Last edited:
P

pinder

Wes Bucey said:
We could, of course, just list some authors on Lean and their working definitions, but I have a hunch that won't serve your true purpose unless you are seeking someone to do a homework assignment.

Please tell us why you feel you need definitions of Lean from different authors. Most folks would want OUR idea of one best definition or even an [FONT=Arial,verdana]amalgam [/FONT]of several definitions combined into one best definition, The natural follow-up to that would be HOW to go about identifying "nonLean" conditions in an organization's processes, THEN suggestions on effective ways to transform from nonLean to Lean.

Otherwise, if all you want are definitions without any insight as to their relative value in real world thinking, it might be better to ask us to help you formulate Google search parameters.
respected sir i have to submit my thesis on topic of lean manufacturing,for purpose in the one of the chapters i want to give the definitions of this term(lean manufacturing).if you can provide me some definitions then it would be very thankful to you all, if you cannot provide clearcut definitions than please tell me how different authors have interpreated this term or from where i can search such data

i have few definitions given by different persons like

"Lean Manufacturing is “a systematic approach to identifying and eliminating waste (all non-value added activities) throughcontinuous improvement” that is being adopted by world class, high performance firms to produce remarkable results."

"Lean Manufacturing, also called Lean Production, is a set of tools and methodologies that aims for the continuous elimination of all waste in the production process. The main benefits of this are lower production costs, increased output and shorter production lead times."

"The Lean Concept refers to a collection of tools used topromote long-term profitability, growth, and doing more with less"-TOMPKINS ASSOCIATES

like this can you provide more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have moved this thread to its present Forum since it is primarily a "theory" type of question, rather than an actual, practical, real-world situation.

Anybody care to help this student with his assignment?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I really don't mean to be rude and I dont' want to stifle learning but:

why would I want to go to my personal library (or google), look up various definitions and then type them into a post, when the student can and should do this themselves. It's a simple research task that is expected of students. In fact doing your own research on this type of theory leads to "accidental" discovery of other interesting tidbits. These accidental tidbits are often even more valuable than the sterile search for basic definintions - the student might actually learn something instead of merely remembering or simply cutting and pasting. (cut and paste doesn't even require actually reading the text and so they won't even remember it, let alone learn something)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
O Lean Tools in Labour Intensive Manual Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20
F Looking for some type of training on Lean Manufacturing video or web training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Availability of Lean Manufacturing Training The Woodlands TX Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
O Lean Manufacturing Implementation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
L How Lean Can Manufacturing Get? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Lean Sigma Manufacturing Handoff Package Contents FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Lean Manufacturing in the Food Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
R Demand Flow Technology vs. Lean Manufacturing - Same method with just another name? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
C Lean Manufacturing Implementation and Training Materials - Recommendations wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Z Lean Manufacturing Conferences - Could anyone suggest some good conferences? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Where can one get trained in belts and lean manufacturing? Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
B Quality & Lean Written Quiz on terms and defintion of Quality and Lean Manufacturing Software Quality Assurance 8
R Beyond Lean manufacturing - Operation management / Performance improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Cell Manufacturing - Project to implement lean manufacturing principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Lean To Attack Manufacturing Wastes Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
hogheavenfarm Lean manufacturing seminars in NY/CT area? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
T Examples of Mura and Muri to be used in Training - Key Concepts on Lean Manufacturing Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
C HMLV Lean Questions - PCB manufacturing industry Value Stream Mapping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T At what stage in a company's life can you introduce Lean Manufacturing Principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
A Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 32
E Lean Manufacturing Presentation - What should I include? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
J Lean Manufacturing without stability - Rate it 1 to 5. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
D Lean 6 Sigma book recommendations for young, inexperienced manufacturing Engineers Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
A Does anyone know some metrics can I use to measure Lean Manufacturing? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
J Lean Manufacturing using the FMEA? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P The Significance of Lean and Six Sigma Outside Manufacturing - Thesis Questionnaire Six Sigma 0
S Lean Manufacturing Concepts Discussion Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 128
S Student needs advice on his career in the field of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Career and Occupation Discussions 14
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
A What is the expectation of Lean manufacturing plans in Visteon specific requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
R Surveys about Quality Management and Lean Manufacturing The Reading Room 0
M Lean Manufacturing Overview Aimed at Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
A VSM (Value Stream Management) for service industry - Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Wes Bucey Body of Knowledge for Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 47
S SAE Jrr 003 (RR-003?) - SAE J4000 - Lean Manufacturing - Status Evaluation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
M Lean Manufacturing, SAP and 8.2.4 - No records indicating release of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Any folks have article, insight about Lean / Lean manufacturing to share? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 12
WALLACE LEAN 'manufacturing' within a Leasing environment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
G Low Hanging Fruit - Lean Manufacturing Ideas for a Job Shop Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
A TS 16949 Clause 6.3.1 and Lean Manufacturing - Any guideline for implementation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Lean Manufacturing - Eliminating Inspection - Can Quality Survive? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 49
A Linkage of ISO 9001:2000, ISO/TS16949 and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
Q Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
M Interesting Discussion Lean Manufacturing Concepts - Is 'Lean' hype? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 215
A Lean Manufacturing - How do I change my company's Culture? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 26
S Teams and Lean Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20