Lean or Six Sigma or TOC (Theory of Constraints) - How to decide

S

suhasdn

Hi frends,
I am new to this forum.
I am working in a leading manufacturing firm.
I always have a doubt in my mind that,
how do we decide on approach i.e. Lean or 6Sigma or TOC we should take for solving any problem.
how do we start the analysis.

It would be great if someone provides some useful insights and some additional links/reading reference.

cheers

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Re: Lean or Six Sigma or TOC how to decide

Hello suhasdn, :bigwave:Welcome to the cove :bigwave:

Believe me, no one on planet earth can give a straight answer to your poser, for the simple reason that each type of problem needs different approach and method for its solution. For example what needs 'is-is not' can't be solved by 5-Why or why-why analysis. There are serious implications of falt-tree analysis which can not be answered by 8-D analysis and so on.

Another and very important fact to remember, even after identifying the right method for analysis, one has to approach with full understanding or else you will be misled. 5-why analysis is considered the easiest of all, but it is the most misleading one, traps you in your own cobweb. Without reaching the root-cause, you are led to believe reaching the (illusionary) root cause.

Therefore the pre-requisite is to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of all the tools, before embarking on the journey of problem solving. Else, there is an old and my favourite from Maslow: 'If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.'

Umang :D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hi frends,
I am new to this forum.
how do we decide on approach i.e. Lean or 6Sigma or TOC we should take for solving any problem.

It would be great if someone provides some useful insights and some additional links/reading reference.

cheers

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

I'm assuming that "TOC" is Theory of Constraints. In any event, you begin a problem-solving analysis by having a clear definition of the problem, and then you set about solving it, using whatever rational means are at your disposal. You have a big toolbox, and you should select the tools that are appropriate to the job at hand. For the sake of clarity, the things you reference aren't tools, per se. You don't need SS in order to use statistical analysis, or to define the problem. You don't need lean (again, per se) in order to realize that your processes are inefficient.

S

suhasdn

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

I'm assuming that "TOC" is Theory of Constraints. In any event, you begin a problem-solving analysis by having a clear definition of the problem, and then you set about solving it, using whatever rational means are at your disposal. You have a big toolbox, and you should select the tools that are appropriate to the job at hand. For the sake of clarity, the things you reference aren't tools, per se. You don't need SS in order to use statistical analysis, or to define the problem. You don't need lean (again, per se) in order to realize that your processes are inefficient.
Thanks Jim & Umang,
I understand that no problem has straight solution when we speak about lean and 6sigma.
In my current job I am facing the same problem.
And the same question was asked to me in an interview. "if an organization asks you to improve the performance, what approach will you take, lean or six sigma e.g. a retail company"

Appreciate your replies

cheers

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi frends,
I am new to this forum.

cheers

To quote Dr. W. Edwards Deming: "What is your aim?"
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Solving problems? Is that it? Problems come in many disguises and sizes.
And on top of that; many differing opinions depending on who you ask.

I agree with Jim. Define first. Next, get agreement followed by prioritizing problems based on mutually agreed upon criteria.

Then, only then decide what tool(s) is(are) most appropriate. :yes:

Stijloor.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
These are all good argument in a practical or academic setting, but when confronted with the question in the context of an interview question, you have to be wary of a preconceived 'correct' answer - much like an ASQ exam.

Without dwelling on the topic, one might state that in a retail setting the key is getting the product from the manufacturer to the customer with the least amount of effort and overhead. Lean provides tools to aid that. If there is a need for a systemic measure that needs investigated or corrected as a part of that flow, there may be statistical tools in the six sigma portfolio to deal with that.

Beyond that, the specific situation will bear the evidence of which tools are best.

I would think most people interviewing will have all they need from that - anything more will glaze them.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I would take the approach they are all good tools, and benefit the company. Jim Wynne already explained that aprt. They should not be looked at as one against the other. They are the same tools, only focusing on different parts. Lean more on simplifying ("leaning") an activitiy, and 6Sigma on tighter process control. TOC fits in there, perhaps a little closer to Lean than 6S. I would add that all of this should be considered with ISO 9001 as a robust foundation to support it all. Lean is also a little easier to get people to understand and apply than 6S.

Top Bottom