Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I am going to be teaching my family the principals of 5s for application to the playroom and kitchen.
With "a place for everything and everything in its place" philosophy I think I can realize a 50% reduction in my boy's stall time before bed.
In the kitchen I'm proposing and 30-50% reduction in post meal clean-up for myself and the wife.
I think there will also be a tremendous savings in set up time for meal prep, but in the overall picture this is pretty small.

I will also be doing a poka-yoke project to error proof the areas where the baby will eventually be crawling around.

I'm also considering a kanban system in the pantry. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Gert Sorensen

Re: Lean Projects for my home

No experience, but please do share yours if it turns out successfully :cool:

R

ralphsulser

Re: Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principals of 5s

I think it's time for you to take a vacation:lol:

Hi Discordian,

I jot down all our household expenses in a particular month and look for "outliers". This monthly expenses are then compared with different months of the year.

These expenses are then analysed to look for "Continuous Improvements". Also when we buy an "asset item", we prepare a comparison chart to weigh the benefits.

Pl share your experiences also.

V

vinay_nagaraj

"In the kitchen I'm proposing and 30-50% reduction in post meal clean-up for myself and the wife" - Do let us know how you would implement this.... maybe a flow chart or audit checklist would be fine.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource

Reminds me of an old joke about an efficiency expert talking to a friend about such home projects.

"I was studying how my wife made breakfast in the morning and I realized that there were many possiblitities for improvement," said the expert. "By rearranging the kitchen, running several jobs at once, etc, the whole process could be much more efficient. So in the spirit of efficiency, I told my wife all the things she was doing wrong and how the whole process could be more efficient."

"Did the suggestions cut down on the time required to make breakfast?" asked the friend.

"Absolutely. It used to take her 30 minutes to prepare my breakfast. Now it takes me 20."

Tim F

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Tim,

The Chinese have a saying :- trouble/disaster originates from ones mouth.

Regards.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin

"In the kitchen I'm proposing and 30-50% reduction in post meal clean-up for myself and the wife" - Do let us know how you would implement this.... maybe a flow chart or audit checklist would be fine.
Disposable cutlery and plates will immediatley save time and cost money:biglaugh:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I'm going to start with the Alton Brown ( http://www.altonbrown.com ) methodology (which I believe he got right from 5s) - Sort everything in the kitchen and get rid off all the uni-taskers except the fire extinguisher.
right away I think I can realize a 30% savings in drawer and cabinet space!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Who manages QI projects? Quality or PMO? Managing Six Sigma and Lean Projects Six Sigma 2
Ajit Basrur Lean / Six Sigma Technical or Administrative Projects for Microbiology Laboratory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
J Lean Projects from Quality Department - Visual factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
S Lean Six Sigma Online Training Six Sigma 1
Awais Things to Look for a LEAN leader ? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Lean: Conducting Capacity Study, calculating Cycle times on laser cutting machines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
T ASQ Lean 6sigma BB examination Six Sigma 3
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
qualprod How to start with Lean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Lean's New Buzzword: Leader Standard Work Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
L Lean Book for Basic Knowledge Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
0 Suggest a Lean Book for Upper Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
M Lean Time Line (History and Theory) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
tony wardle Lean and TS16949 - Integration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
L Lean in the ISO9001:2015 World Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
O Implementing Lean Intranet Sharepoint Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
D Any experience with the SME/AME/Shingo/ASQ Lean BOK/Certifications? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
O Lean Tools in Labour Intensive Manual Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 20
A Lean and ERP software Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
J Lean Appropriate KPIs for a Distribution Centre Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
J Lean Transformation Project - Distribution centre in Europe Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Crusader Recommend a LEAN service company that you hired Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
F Looking for some type of training on Lean Manufacturing video or web training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
DanteCaspian Free Poster Download: LANGUAGE OF LEAN CULTURE (2017 Revision Attached) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
C Availability of Lean Manufacturing Training The Woodlands TX Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
T Relationship between ISO9001 and Lean Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 15
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
E Lean application in Regulatory Affairs Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
G Has anyone used shlomo Aviv-lean consultant? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
O Lean Manufacturing Implementation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
D When you're not Lean enough for JIT (Just In Time) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9