Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principals of 5s

I'm thinking that a reduction of inventory in the play room is going to be against the objectives of the organization (more toys = happier). Try telling your kids they have to reduce the amount of toys they have:mg: and then convince the grand parents that if they insist on buying new toys for birthdays and (if you celebrate it) Christmas, then the kids have to remove the obsolete items, to achieve increased inventory turns and reduce levels..............:lol:

I'm thinking you'd be better off implementing 5S in your garage or tool shed, out of the way of the family!:rolleyes:

Of course, it won't end with 5S in the house. You then have to arrange such things as one piece flow - at meal times that will be a problem too......
:lol:
Best of luck........
Andy

J

JPSmith

I certainly do hope that this show will be televised! Would love to see it from all family members' perspectives ...

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I'm thinking that a reduction of inventory in the play room is going to be against the objectives of the organization (more toys = happier). Try telling your kids they have to reduce the amount of toys they have:mg: and then convince the grand parents that if they insist on buying new toys for birthdays and (if you celebrate it) Christmas, then the kids have to remove the obsolete items, to achieve increased inventory turns and reduce levels..............:lol:

I'm thinking you'd be better off implementing 5S in your garage or tool shed, out of the way of the family!:rolleyes:

Of course, it won't end with 5S in the house. You then have to arrange such things as one piece flow - at meal times that will be a problem too......
:lol:
Best of luck........
Andy

Yes. That indeed will be a major challenge. Especially since we have a 3 month old baby and I just brought down, out of the attic, a box of my 3.5 year old son's old baby toys... which he just re-added to his collection. :rolleyes:
But I think we're up to it! I'll do a powerpoint for the boy that will explain that for every new toy he wants he'll have to "turn over" and old toy he no longer plays with.
He's a smart kid! That'll work! :lmao:

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

This is the funniest thread I have read in a LONG time. Let me know how the divorce turns out :D. Seriously, does any believe the 5S is more than a way to say....get organized?

I had a discussion with a co-worker after she went to 5S training. She said her productivity went DOWN since she could not longer find the things she needed. That is right, my having a clutter free work environment, she could not remember where she put things. Her mind had been wired to work efficiently with her controlled clutter as she called it. Just an interesting tidbit!

AndyN

Moved On

I had a discussion with a co-worker after she went to 5S training. She said her productivity went DOWN since she could not longer find the things she needed. That is right, my having a clutter free work environment, she could not remember where she put things. Her mind had been wired to work efficiently with her controlled clutter as she called it. Just an interesting tidbit!

I'm guessing the training was ineffective or their implementation was off........if your co-worker couldn't find anything then someone didn't 'get it'. Since all this type of thing comes (basically) from the Toyota Manufacturing System - and they're the most efficient car maker - then I'm sure something went wrong in translation.

Now, where'd I put my cup of tea..........??

Andy

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

This is the funniest thread I have read in a LONG time. Let me know how the divorce turns out :D. Seriously, does any believe the 5S is more than a way to say....get organized?

At least I'm waiting until my son gets into 1st grade before I start them 6s training. I think some of the Lean techniques are enough right now.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

I'm guessing the training was ineffective or their implementation was off........if your co-worker couldn't find anything then someone didn't 'get it'. Since all this type of thing comes (basically) from the Toyota Manufacturing System - and they're the most efficient car maker - then I'm sure something went wrong in translation.

Now, where'd I put my cup of tea..........??

Andy

No, I do not think you understand :D

Of course making a process flow more efficient, especially a manufacturing process makes sense....but making it translate to how you do work in an office is a little more difficult, and people have "systems" for cataloging information in their office.

L

little__cee

There's a show on television called "Clean Sweep".

I don't think I've seen them do a kitchen, but the premise is that this team comes into two rooms (usually bedroom plus another like an office or living room) and takes all of the stuff and puts in out in the yard. Then the homeowners sort the things into piles of "keep" and "sell" - the team convinces them to get rid of things or justify why they must keep it - and then they have a big yard sale. The team helps them build organizational units so that they have a place to put the "keep" stuff away when they're finished.

My own personal experience is that yard/garage sales are horrible - I just donate the stuff to a local charity - but watching "Clean Sweep" along with a similar show called "Mission Organization" might give you some practical ideas. I wish I could remember what channel these are on - I want to say TLC but I'm really not sure right now.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

I've been trying for years to implement something akin to 5s. Let me tell you that you can arrange the workshop using 5s principles, I can arrange my hobby areas using 5s principles. BUT, I do not believe that it is ever possible to train teenagers to follow 5s principles in the house.

Example 1:
Me, looking directly at teenage son standing directly on the top of dirty underwear and socks: "Is that where the dirty underwear belongs?" "Shouldn't it be in the hamper so that I can find it when I do the laundry, without having to hunt through everybody's rooms?"

Son: "What dirty underwear?"

Example 2:
Me: "Do you guys realize that if you put the dishes away in the same spot every time we could save a lot of time hunting for a pan so that I could spend more time making you a good supper and not be stressed to the point where I don't care whether or not you get to eat?"

Son: "What are you talking about? The pan is in the kitchen somewhere, you should just be happy it isn't sitting on the drainboard. Why does everything have to be perfect with you?"

I give up. I don't cook for them, let them find their own pan. If it isn't stacked up, I don't wash it. If it isn't in the hamper, I don't wash it. If they can't find it, I just say "I told you so." Life is good. I don't have to see my therapist anymore, and I'm off the antidepressants. :lmao:

AndyN

Moved On

No, I do not think you understand :D

Of course making a process flow more efficient, especially a manufacturing process makes sense....but making it translate to how you do work in an office is a little more difficult, and people have "systems" for cataloging information in their office.

You're correct, Steven - I didn't get you were describing an office environment. So, actually, I agree. I've seen many organizations waste huge amounts of time and effort 5S'ing office space - why footprint the wastebin, stapler and phone?????:lmao:

Andy

Top Bottom