Lean Sigma Manufacturing Handoff Package Contents

C

car3780

Hello all,

I am in a new role which will focus heavily on manufacturing scale-ups. I'd like to define some sort of handoff package to close the project on my end. This will include the PFMEA and Control Plan, but I'm looking for ideas of other things to include. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello all,

I am in a new role which will focus heavily on manufacturing scale-ups. I'd like to define some sort of handoff package to close the project on my end. This will include the PFMEA and Control Plan, but I'm looking for ideas of other things to include. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Do you mean that you are

1. scaling up from in-house prototype/short run to in-house full scale production?
  2. are a prototype/short run house handing off to off site or second party (whether corporately affiliated or not) for full scale production and want to alert them to factors you found "challenging" or "pertinent" in the small scale operation?
If either, I admire your depth of knowledge on both short run and long run operation to be able to do that successfully - I don't believe I have met more than four or five people with such knowledge in the past 40 years.

Typically, in my experience, the Control Plan, especially, should be a cross-functional team effort to encompass material acquisition, correct machine selection, tooling, set up, in-process inspection, SPC, cooperation with customer inspection, packaging, shipping.

An efficacious PFMEA really requires a lot of knowledge about the quirks of the machines and tooling to be used in the process. Both the PFMEA and FMEA are usually the result of input from several minds with different experiencesand skills which they bring to the table.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Do you mean that you are

1. scaling up from in-house prototype/short run to in-house full scale production?
  2. are a prototype/short run house handing off to off site or second party (whether corporately affiliated or not) for full scale production and want to alert them to factors you found "challenging" or "pertinent" in the small scale operation?
If either, I admire your depth of knowledge on both short run and long run operation to be able to do that successfully - I don't believe I have met more than four or five people with such knowledge in the past 40 years.

Typically, in my experience, the Control Plan, especially, should be a cross-functional team effort to encompass material acquisition, correct machine selection, tooling, set up, in-process inspection, SPC, cooperation with customer inspection, packaging, shipping.

An efficacious PFMEA really requires a lot of knowledge about the quirks of the machines and tooling to be used in the process. Both the PFMEA and FMEA are usually the result of input from several minds with different experiencesand skills which they bring to the table.
What's the difference between the PFMEA and the FMEA?

Wes Bucey

What's the difference between the PFMEA and the FMEA?
I generally think of PFMEA as focusing on production processes while FMEA has a wider scope and includes things like

1. "How can the end user screw this up?"
  2. "Is there a better design that is easier/more economical to make?"
  3. "Almost anything else like material supply, conflagration, inundation, political turmoil, union strife, etc."
Thanks for asking.

Only four or five can tell.... :D
Maybe! I guess I know them all then.;) Or were you focusing on the ones who are authorized to tell versus the ones who know, but are prohibited from telling?:lmao:

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of ASQ certificate holders who are aware of that distinction - but maybe that's only the ones who attend the Section meetings.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I generally think of PFMEA as focusing on production processes while FMEA has a wider scope and includes things like

1. "How can the end user screw this up?"
  2. "Is there a better design that is easier/more economical to make?"
  3. "Almost anything else like material supply, conflagration, inundation, political turmoil, union strife, etc."
Thanks for asking.
"FMEA" is generally not construed as a generic term for risk analysis. While the use of the SAE/AIAG models for DFMEA and PFMEA have spread beyond the automotive industry, what someone refers to "FMEA," that's almost always what's being referred to. Your #1 and #2 are DFMEA considerations, while #3 is a part of general risk analysis.

C

car3780

Hi Wes,

Sorry for the late response. I did not get any notifications.

It will be in house scaleups from our R&D team. For each new product, I would like to put together a package as the final handoff from R&D to Manufacturing. I am planning to include the process flow map, PFMEA, and control plan, but am looking for any other suggestions to make a nice well-rounded package of information.

Thanks!

Wes Bucey

Hi Wes,

Sorry for the late response. I did not get any notifications.

It will be in house scaleups from our R&D team. For each new product, I would like to put together a package as the final handoff from R&D to Manufacturing. I am planning to include the process flow map, PFMEA, and control plan, but am looking for any other suggestions to make a nice well-rounded package of information.

Thanks!
As far as notifications, check your spam box - sometimes the filters shunt Cove mail into spam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Lean 6 Sigma book recommendations for young, inexperienced manufacturing Engineers Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
P The Significance of Lean and Six Sigma Outside Manufacturing - Thesis Questionnaire Six Sigma 0
S Student needs advice on his career in the field of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Career and Occupation Discussions 14
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Mikael Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
N What are three kinds of flow in Lean or Six Sigma? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
N How to start Lean and Six Sigma in an Organization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
V Excellent references on Lean & Six Sigma ...from MIT Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
V What is the difference between Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
T Appropriate Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Project Proposal? Six Sigma 10
F Who manages QI projects? Quality or PMO? Managing Six Sigma and Lean Projects Six Sigma 2
S Lean or Six Sigma or TOC (Theory of Constraints) - How to decide Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
T ISO 9000 / Lean Six Sigma Survey - University Study - Seeking Respondents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M ISO 9000/Lean Six Sigma Conference - Orlando March 2010 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Where does Lean Six Sigma Originate? Six Sigma 5
J Need Book Recommendation: Lean Six Sigma for Healthcare Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
J Lean Six Sigma - Advantages and disadvantages Six Sigma 3
J Lean Six Sigma and the Environmental Benefits / trades off - your opinions please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
S Strategy for implementation Lean Six Sigma - What kind of research? Six Sigma 4
ScottK Does your company use Six Sigma and/or Lean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 18
A Six Sigma and Lean Body of Knowledge (BoK) Six Sigma 4
B Benefits of Lean, Lean Six Sigma, Six Sigma, Balanced Scorecard - Making the case Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Y Lean Six Sigma OR Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
M Lean and Six Sigma in supply chain operations. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ajit Basrur Lean / Six Sigma Technical or Administrative Projects for Microbiology Laboratory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
P Coal Mine Starting on 5S, Lean Sigma Journey - Seeking Information, Books, etc. Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
W Need a link to a thread here - Discussed the difference between lean and six sigma Registered Visitor Articles Archive 9
A What is the difference between Lean and Six Sigma? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Govind Lean-Six Sigma: What do critics say? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
J Lean Maintenance - Six Sigma's DMAIC guideline serving as a roadmap Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
T ASQ Lean 6sigma BB examination Six Sigma 3
Q How to start with Lean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Lean's New Buzzword: Leader Standard Work Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4