Learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award and QOS - Seeking Information

D

Don Watt

I'm interested in learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award.
Can anybody recommend any decent reading materials or web links??
TIA

T

Tom W

Hello - I am looking into this to see if I can help you out. My initial finding is that Ford does no longer rely on Q1. They have adopted QS9000 and "most" companies find that Ford likes this. I am not sure about this at this point but I will try and find out more. I work at a Heat Treating Comapny and we just went through a Ford Heat Treaters Audit. It was part of the Q1 process but just limited to Heat Treaters. I will get back to you.

D

Don Watt

I may be wrong, but I understood that Q1 is in addition to QS9000, i.e. QS9000 is a pre-requisite plus evidence of QOS methodology & some other requirements.

It's the additions to QS that I'm interested in learning more about.

Thanks,
Don

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
In the QS implementations I have done in the past, the QS requirements completely fulfilled the Q1 requirements (nothing else was needed).

D

Don Watt

Thanks Marc,
My interest stemmed from a Ford diagram that a colleague showed me. It shows a "hierarchy of excellence" with Q1 sitting above QS9000. The main differences appear to be something to do with the performance metrics from QOS, Customer endorsements plus a Materials Management System (MS9000) which is in addition to QS element 4.15

Can anybody enlighten me further, or am I looking at something that's already been outdated?

T

Tom W

Sorry - I had some bad information. I did some looking and your right. There are at least four requirements a company has to achieve before being considered for Q1. You should be able to access a old forum for Ford-Q1 and the first posting talks about the requirements. It sounds like all four would be required but two of them are really one - ISO and QS. If you get QS certified then you are compliant to ISO depending on the scope of your company.

D

Don Reid

Don,

We are currently working towards Q1 and I have before me the requirements. They are;

Third party registration to QS9000
All elements of QOS have been met
Must have a current 12 month shipping history to Ford
MS9000 self assessment score of not less than 100.

In addition to the above there are some performancre metrics that have to be met, namely;

Zero field actions in the last 12 months
Zero launch QR's in the last 12 months
Zero PSW slippage in the last 12 months
PPM competitive (?) and improving

Does this help?

[This message has been edited by Don Reid (edited 10 August 2000).]

A

Andy Bassett

Just educate me a little Don

What is MS 9000, and what exactly are these.
Zero field actions in the last 12 months
Zero launch QR's in the last 12 months
Zero PSW slippage in the last 12 months

Regards

------------------
Andy B

D

Don Reid

Andy:

Field actions includes campaigns, recalls or owner notifications. Namely, if they have to recall vehicles that exhibit faults and it is your part that caused it they will smack your bum.

Launch QRs are supplier responsible concerns issued against a new tooled part.

PSW slippage is a supplier responsible change to PSW commitment date that effects a Ford build. In other words, if you fail to meet the initial sample date and it effects their programme they will smack your bum again.

MS9000 is a materials and logistics requirement that Ford developed as, in their opinion, QS9000 did not adequately address the materials and logistics function. In OUR opinion, a lot of it is bulls**t.

I hope that makes sense, Andy. If not, post a reply and I will do my best. I am writing this whilst suffering severe pains in the head. I think I have a cold, but others attribute it to the amount of beer I drank last night. Those poor, misguided fools. If only they knew.......

Don Reid

D

Don Watt

Thanks for the info Don, do you know where I can get a copy of MS9000 (even if it is bull!)

Hope the head cold wears off as the day progresses :)

Top Bottom