Learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award and QOS - Seeking Information

D

Don Watt

I'm interested in learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award.
Can anybody recommend any decent reading materials or web links??
TIA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Hello - I am looking into this to see if I can help you out. My initial finding is that Ford does no longer rely on Q1. They have adopted QS9000 and "most" companies find that Ford likes this. I am not sure about this at this point but I will try and find out more. I work at a Heat Treating Comapny and we just went through a Ford Heat Treaters Audit. It was part of the Q1 process but just limited to Heat Treaters. I will get back to you.

D

Don Watt

I may be wrong, but I understood that Q1 is in addition to QS9000, i.e. QS9000 is a pre-requisite plus evidence of QOS methodology & some other requirements.

It's the additions to QS that I'm interested in learning more about.

Thanks,
Don

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
In the QS implementations I have done in the past, the QS requirements completely fulfilled the Q1 requirements (nothing else was needed).

D

Don Watt

Thanks Marc,
My interest stemmed from a Ford diagram that a colleague showed me. It shows a "hierarchy of excellence" with Q1 sitting above QS9000. The main differences appear to be something to do with the performance metrics from QOS, Customer endorsements plus a Materials Management System (MS9000) which is in addition to QS element 4.15

Can anybody enlighten me further, or am I looking at something that's already been outdated?

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Sorry - I had some bad information. I did some looking and your right. There are at least four requirements a company has to achieve before being considered for Q1. You should be able to access a old forum for Ford-Q1 and the first posting talks about the requirements. It sounds like all four would be required but two of them are really one - ISO and QS. If you get QS certified then you are compliant to ISO depending on the scope of your company.

D

Don Reid

Don,

We are currently working towards Q1 and I have before me the requirements. They are;

Third party registration to QS9000
All elements of QOS have been met
Must have a current 12 month shipping history to Ford
MS9000 self assessment score of not less than 100.

In addition to the above there are some performancre metrics that have to be met, namely;

Zero field actions in the last 12 months
Zero launch QR's in the last 12 months
Zero PSW slippage in the last 12 months
PPM competitive (?) and improving

Does this help?

[This message has been edited by Don Reid (edited 10 August 2000).]

A

Andy Bassett

Just educate me a little Don

What is MS 9000, and what exactly are these.
Zero field actions in the last 12 months
Zero launch QR's in the last 12 months
Zero PSW slippage in the last 12 months

Regards

------------------
Andy B

D

Don Reid

Andy:

Field actions includes campaigns, recalls or owner notifications. Namely, if they have to recall vehicles that exhibit faults and it is your part that caused it they will smack your bum.

Launch QRs are supplier responsible concerns issued against a new tooled part.

PSW slippage is a supplier responsible change to PSW commitment date that effects a Ford build. In other words, if you fail to meet the initial sample date and it effects their programme they will smack your bum again.

MS9000 is a materials and logistics requirement that Ford developed as, in their opinion, QS9000 did not adequately address the materials and logistics function. In OUR opinion, a lot of it is bulls**t.

I hope that makes sense, Andy. If not, post a reply and I will do my best. I am writing this whilst suffering severe pains in the head. I think I have a cold, but others attribute it to the amount of beer I drank last night. Those poor, misguided fools. If only they knew.......

Don Reid

D

Don Watt

Thanks for the info Don, do you know where I can get a copy of MS9000 (even if it is bull!)

Hope the head cold wears off as the day progresses :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
F Learning Uncertainty Budget for Novice - Fluke 5520A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News FDA News - 27-08-18 - 2018 Learning program and GUDID updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
ScottK What Became of Alamo Consulting or Alamo Learning Systems Consultants and Consulting 5
M Learning by gaming / (gamification) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
T Having Fun While Learning ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Getting the audit procedure in my head (learning it) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Bachelor of Engineering Course - Distance learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M How to prepare for a PLI (Professional Learning Indicator) job test Career and Occupation Discussions 6
W TS16949 Quick Learning Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
V Learning Management Systems (LMS) & Training Management Systems (TMS) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Non-Normal Data Analysis Literature, Websites, Books for Learning Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Which training system or LMS (Learning Management System) to train Auditors? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R IQ/OQ/PQ Literature - Learning and implementing IQ/OQ/PQ procedures at my facility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C Learning Material for a Third Party Distribution Sales Environment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Q Training Management Systems (aka Learning Management Systems) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Zeiss C 90 HP - Any suggestions for learning Umess UX. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Beginning with ISO - Suggest any diploma course or online learning course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
H ISO 9126 E-learning training course - Recommendations wanted Software Quality Assurance 3
A Learning Excel - Web Site, Book, and Add-in Recommendations Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
C Complete ISO idiot on a steep learning curve - Quality Manual Review appreciated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P What is Distance learning course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Learning Statistical Process Control - I need a crash course in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Internal Audit Exercises/Games to Engage Auditors in Experiential Learning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
B CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exam Learning Guidance and Related Questions Professional Certifications and Degrees 15
B Suggestions for Books on Testing/QA related to E-learning Courses Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B ISO 9001 for an E-Learning company - How to proceed when processes are not clear ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Aerospace Quality related Distance Training/Learning/Exams Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
ScottK Foundations in Quality Learning Series: ASQ's Quality Basics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
ScottK Learning about converting an AutoCAD .dwg to a .STEP file Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Registrar Customer Learning Session-Independence Ohio Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
P TS 16949 AIAG books needed for learning the requirements of the standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Layman's Learning Tool Needed - Regression analysis, t-tests, chi-square tests, etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Marc Distance Learning - From ivory tower to academic sweatshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
I Anyone know of any good TS 16949 E- learning sources? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C A New Term for Defectives: SLO - Significant learning opportunities World News 0
C Learning Uncertainty - Training, Good book? Good software or freeware? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
N Distance Learning - Quality Management and TQM - Seeking Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C ISO 9001:2000 E-Learning for people new to ISO 9000 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Claes Gefvenberg E-learning take 2... Is anyone currently, or in the past, tried E-Learning? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Atul Khandekar Use of Computer Aided Learning for Quality Topics - E-Learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7