Learning by gaming / (gamification)

DrTBurns

Starting to get Involved
I should also add that is you travel on public transport you will see the majority of folk with their heads down looking at mobiles. Wouldn't it be far better that your employees were playing quality learning games than useless ones? Of course expectations for games today are very high. There is no point in trying to engage employees in learning about quality, if the games are not at the same level of sophistication as entertainment games. 2D 'pop out' games from 'pop out' e-learning development products just won't cut it today. Training games need game engines driving them.

I feel too, that the future for training in quality is mobiles. Even as a developer, I still get a thrill out of seeing such cool quality training in the palm of my hand. I've seen our stuff on PC vs mobile for many years and the mobile phone app has something that grabs me. Just me. Others may be different.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DrTBurns

Starting to get Involved
Oh, another good one (from the old days of moving pennies around as tokens) is MIT's "The Beer Game".
Interesting ... but pennies or beer bottles need much more to look engaging on a screen though Steve. It has taken us many years to find training delivery vehicles that look great on screen.

DrTBurns

Starting to get Involved
After almost 3 decades of building quality training games, there are so many topics I get so excited about because I have spent so many years thinking about them. Even the simple issue of showing people instead of objects (pennies, beer bottles or cubes etc). What should the people look like? People can be built to look very realistic and move realistically in 3D but they look boring. What's the alternative?

In the opening description of histograms, we thought people would be useful. This is sometimes done in the classroom, in explaining histograms, where students are asked to sort themselves by height. A hour or so stuffing around in the classroom is 3D animated into a group of characters milling around on screen, that then walk into columns according to height. The message is conveyed beautifully and more powerfully in seconds, rather than wasting time in the classroom.

Not a game but more a sim. I still find it fascinating to watch, especially the way all the characters sort themselves out, bumping into one another. It is different every time you run it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Learning Uncertainty Budget for Novice - Fluke 5520A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News FDA News - 27-08-18 - 2018 Learning program and GUDID updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
ScottK What Became of Alamo Consulting or Alamo Learning Systems Consultants and Consulting 5
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
T Having Fun While Learning ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Getting the audit procedure in my head (learning it) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Bachelor of Engineering Course - Distance learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Mikael How to prepare for a PLI (Professional Learning Indicator) job test Career and Occupation Discussions 6
W TS16949 Quick Learning Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
V Learning Management Systems (LMS) & Training Management Systems (TMS) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Non-Normal Data Analysis Literature, Websites, Books for Learning Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Which training system or LMS (Learning Management System) to train Auditors? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R IQ/OQ/PQ Literature - Learning and implementing IQ/OQ/PQ procedures at my facility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C Learning Material for a Third Party Distribution Sales Environment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Q Training Management Systems (aka Learning Management Systems) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Zeiss C 90 HP - Any suggestions for learning Umess UX. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Beginning with ISO - Suggest any diploma course or online learning course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
H ISO 9126 E-learning training course - Recommendations wanted Software Quality Assurance 3
A Learning Excel - Web Site, Book, and Add-in Recommendations Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
C Complete ISO idiot on a steep learning curve - Quality Manual Review appreciated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P What is Distance learning course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Learning Statistical Process Control - I need a crash course in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Internal Audit Exercises/Games to Engage Auditors in Experiential Learning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
B CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exam Learning Guidance and Related Questions Professional Certifications and Degrees 15
B Suggestions for Books on Testing/QA related to E-learning Courses Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B ISO 9001 for an E-Learning company - How to proceed when processes are not clear ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Aerospace Quality related Distance Training/Learning/Exams Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
ScottK Foundations in Quality Learning Series: ASQ's Quality Basics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
ScottK Learning about converting an AutoCAD .dwg to a .STEP file Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Registrar Customer Learning Session-Independence Ohio Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
P TS 16949 AIAG books needed for learning the requirements of the standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Layman's Learning Tool Needed - Regression analysis, t-tests, chi-square tests, etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Marc Distance Learning - From ivory tower to academic sweatshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
I Anyone know of any good TS 16949 E- learning sources? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C A New Term for Defectives: SLO - Significant learning opportunities World News 0
C Learning Uncertainty - Training, Good book? Good software or freeware? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
N Distance Learning - Quality Management and TQM - Seeking Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C ISO 9001:2000 E-Learning for people new to ISO 9000 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Claes Gefvenberg E-learning take 2... Is anyone currently, or in the past, tried E-Learning? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Atul Khandekar Use of Computer Aided Learning for Quality Topics - E-Learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
D Learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award and QOS - Seeking Information Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
R How to SHOW the importance of checklists, through some team gaming or play? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 37