Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements

M

moocow

I just began working for a medical device company in the US, and am wondering is there anything that will help me getting a better understanding of the requirements. I've never worked with it before and need some direction.

I prefer not to take a course that I need to pay for.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

William_55401

Re: Learning ISO 13485

Welcome! Reading and building a library of desk and on line resources is going to be your best bet. A book that I have found very helpful is Kim Trautman's book on the FDA and Worldwide QS Reqirements for Medical Devices. It covers FDA and 13485 in one book. It is on Amazon. No, I do not earn a commission. Good luck.

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Learning ISO 13485

I do not think the essential knowledge can be gained without having someone sharing her/his experience in the industry.
Reading the standard without putting into proper context is more or less for me a waste of time.

I do not know your background, may be that would help us to suggest something sensible.
Cheers!

M

moocow

Simplify

I am the QA/RA managers assistant... the training I got, went in one ear and out the other. I just want a better understaning of it all. Like I said I have no experience in with ISO. So im looking for outside help

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Read some books from quality gurus - Deming's two books, and Juran on quality by design and planning for quality is what I recommend.

The read ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook by David Hoyle.

After that, you will have a very good knowledge of quality systems in general. The ISO standards on quality systems are really nothing more than reflections of good practices from the field of quality management.

For quality systems in the medical device field, you may gain a lot of knowledge from the FDA Medical Device Quality Systems Manual and all the preambles to 21 QSR 820.

Last edited:

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
Funny thing, that no one mentions the obvious place to start gaining knowledge about this subject, when on a limited budget: Here at Elsmar. It will give you so much more knowledge to start with than any book you can buy!! Once you have started getting a foundation here, then the books suggested will be beneficial, but the strength of the forum is that you can practically always find a discussion that matches your information-need. So, keep it up, ask questions and get involved :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Having Fun While Learning ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
P Beginning with ISO - Suggest any diploma course or online learning course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
H ISO 9126 E-learning training course - Recommendations wanted Software Quality Assurance 3
C Complete ISO idiot on a steep learning curve - Quality Manual Review appreciated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B ISO 9001 for an E-Learning company - How to proceed when processes are not clear ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C ISO 9001:2000 E-Learning for people new to ISO 9000 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
F Learning Uncertainty Budget for Novice - Fluke 5520A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News FDA News - 27-08-18 - 2018 Learning program and GUDID updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
ScottK What Became of Alamo Consulting or Alamo Learning Systems Consultants and Consulting 5
M Learning by gaming / (gamification) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
F Getting the audit procedure in my head (learning it) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Bachelor of Engineering Course - Distance learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M How to prepare for a PLI (Professional Learning Indicator) job test Career and Occupation Discussions 6
W TS16949 Quick Learning Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
V Learning Management Systems (LMS) & Training Management Systems (TMS) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
K Non-Normal Data Analysis Literature, Websites, Books for Learning Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Which training system or LMS (Learning Management System) to train Auditors? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R IQ/OQ/PQ Literature - Learning and implementing IQ/OQ/PQ procedures at my facility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C Learning Material for a Third Party Distribution Sales Environment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Q Training Management Systems (aka Learning Management Systems) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Zeiss C 90 HP - Any suggestions for learning Umess UX. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Learning Excel - Web Site, Book, and Add-in Recommendations Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
P What is Distance learning course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Learning Statistical Process Control - I need a crash course in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Internal Audit Exercises/Games to Engage Auditors in Experiential Learning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
B CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exam Learning Guidance and Related Questions Professional Certifications and Degrees 15
B Suggestions for Books on Testing/QA related to E-learning Courses Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Q Aerospace Quality related Distance Training/Learning/Exams Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
ScottK Foundations in Quality Learning Series: ASQ's Quality Basics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
ScottK Learning about converting an AutoCAD .dwg to a .STEP file Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Registrar Customer Learning Session-Independence Ohio Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
P TS 16949 AIAG books needed for learning the requirements of the standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Layman's Learning Tool Needed - Regression analysis, t-tests, chi-square tests, etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Marc Distance Learning - From ivory tower to academic sweatshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
I Anyone know of any good TS 16949 E- learning sources? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C A New Term for Defectives: SLO - Significant learning opportunities World News 0
C Learning Uncertainty - Training, Good book? Good software or freeware? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
N Distance Learning - Quality Management and TQM - Seeking Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Claes Gefvenberg E-learning take 2... Is anyone currently, or in the past, tried E-Learning? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Atul Khandekar Use of Computer Aided Learning for Quality Topics - E-Learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
D Learning about what's involved in the Ford Q1 award and QOS - Seeking Information Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14