Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals

S

silverjlp

Hello,
I am a statistics student. I have a Minitab assignment. My professor is making us learn Minitab on our own - really. I desperately need help and step by step help. I know very little about Minitab.

Here are the questions:
It is suspected that the rating (y) is related to the average number of yards gained per pass attempt (x).
(a) Calculate the least squares estimates of the slope and intercept. What is the estimate of σ2 (ohm squared)? Graph the regression model.
(b) Find an estimate of the mean rating if a quarterback averages 7.5 yards per attempt.
(c) What change in the mean rating is associated with a decrease of one yard per attempt?
(d) To increase the mean rating by 10 points, how much increase in the average yards per attempt must be generated?
(e) Given that x is 7.21 yards, find the fitted value of x and the corresponding residual.​

Here is the data:

Yds Rating
8.39 105.5
7.67 97.4
7.66 96.9
7.98 96.2
7.21 95.0
7.53 93.8
8.01 92.7
7.66 91.4
7.21 90.2
7.16 89.4
7.93 87.7
7.10 87.5
6.33 87.0
6.76 86.4
6.86 86.4
7.35 86.0
7.22 85.4
7.94 84.7
6.41 84.3
6.77 81.7
6.65 81.0
6.94 80.3
6.45 80.2
7.04 80.1
6.39 79.6
6.58 77.1
6.21 76.0
7.17 73.7
6.34 72.6
6.18 71.4
5.12 70.0
5.71 66.5

I have found in Stat - Regression - Regression - Fit Regression Model, but what is in the responses and what is in continuous predictor?
How do I answer b-e?

You are not doing my homework for me, even if you answer step by step.

I appreciate all you can offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Recall from high school the equation of a line is: y = mx + b.
  • y is the response
  • m is the slope (in the Minitab output, this will be the Coef[ficient] for the continuous predictor)
  • x is the continuous predictor
  • b is the y intercept (in the Minitab output, this will be the Coef[ficient] for the Constant)

See how far you can get with this info, and post back if you have more questions.

S

silverjlp

Alright, that looks good. I did the 4 in one graph.

We're off to a start- THANK YOU....I have a formula for the line and the graph of the regression model.

What is the estimate of σ2 (ohm squared - the variance)?

plus b-d? am I just changing the source data and making new graphs each time?

I have no ideas on part e.

S

silverjlp

nevermind, estimate the ohm squared is different than just the variance. I already completed this problem by hand. Minitab answers should match.

It's 27.24 - but I don't get the using Minitab

S

silverjlp

So Mean Squares Error = Variance. I learned something new.......

Still taking a crack at b-e.....

:applause:Thank you for everything so far......:agree1:

I would be so appreciative of help still.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
nevermind, estimate the ohm squared is different than just the variance. I already completed this problem by hand. Minitab answers should match.

It's 27.24 - but I don't get the using Minitab
Note: It is sigma squared, not ohm squared.

You can also obtain the 27.24 by squaring the s = 5.21874. S is the sample standard deviation, while sigma is the population standard deviation.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Here are the questions:
It is suspected that the rating (y) is related to the average number of yards gained per pass attempt (x).

(b) Find an estimate of the mean rating if a quarterback averages 7.5 yards per attempt.
(c) What change in the mean rating is associated with a decrease of one yard per attempt?
(d) To increase the mean rating by 10 points, how much increase in the average yards per attempt must be generated?
(e) Given that x is 7.21 yards, find the fitted value of x and the corresponding residual.​

(b) Substitute 7.5 for Yds in your equation.
(c) Hint: Use the slope.
(d) Substitute 10 for the Rating in your equation and solve for Yds.
(e) In Minitab, select the Storage button, check the Residuals box, run the analysis, go to the Worksheet, find the row with 7.21 Yds and look at the corresponding RESI (residual). For the fitted value, substitute 7.21 for Yds in the equation.​

S

silverjlp

Thanks, I don't know why I said Ohm. Silly me! :eek:

Ok, I am down to (e) Given that x is 7.21 yards, find the fitted value of x and the corresponding residual.

You said In Minitab, select the Storage button, <--- How do I get there?

I don't know how to do the fitted value of y

I tried looking for 7.21 in my "session" output, but don't see it.

:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techniques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/ maximum diameter Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
A Does Least-squares (LSQ) simulate perfect roundness? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Linear Least Squares in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – The Least Burdensome Provisions: Concept and Principles Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Difference between Discrimination and Least Count IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I IEC 60601-1 Least Favourable Working Conditions for Medical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar How many trials at least ... Brain Teasers and Puzzles 1
S API Std 620 vs. API 650 standard? Which is the least restrictive in designing a tank? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Partial Least Square Regression Result - Question Using Minitab Software 3
P Name at least 25 out of 100+ world known personalities in the painting Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
E Interpreting Partial Least Square Results Using Minitab Software 1
J Quality Manual Internal Audit at least once prior to certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Where does least significant digit come into play? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
S The Logic behind Tolerance vs. Least Count 1/10 Ratio General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J At least he is wearing his safety glasses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
ScottK It'll increase your short term memory by at least 15% Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Least count thumb rule - Stone walling SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) - How I can get at least Level 1 certified? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
C What is the least acceptable TAR value? Mettler UMX2 micro balance - Class E2 weights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J 8-D for mislabels - How to prevent, or at least detect, mislabels Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P The difference between Gage Discrimination and Least Count Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Need Help: ISO 2692/AMD1:1992 (ISO 2692:1988) Least Material Requirement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Are all your forms referenced at least once in your procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Requirement for SPC on at least 1 characteristic on all parts? APQP and PPAP 5
A Measurement system that has a Least Count of 1/10th of the tolerance General Auditing Discussions 5
N Product Audits - Is it a requirement to measure at least 3 parts? General Auditing Discussions 4
D Trying to elimate, or at least severely decrease, our incoming inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
F Sum of Squares - How many types of Sum of Squares do we have Software Quality Assurance 15
M Test Methods for Angle Blocks, Squares, Feeler Gages, Protractors, and Steel Rules General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Remember Hollywood Squares? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
D Estimate Sample Size for very rare event Using Minitab Software 1
S Is there a difference in the process? Analyze residuals, construct interval estimate Using Minitab Software 2
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 5
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
B Interpretation of Hodges-Lehmann's estimate of tau Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Z How to estimate Uncertainty for Instrumental Results Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I Cpk < 1.33 - How do I estimate actual defects? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Q Quick ISO-TS 16949 Electronic Copy Cost Estimate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E How to Estimate the Time of GTAW and FCAW Welding Procedures? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Z Estimate Spread of Tolerance Stackup for each Dimension to Cp Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Gage R&R estimate of confidence interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M How do I estimate sigma level for my workshop? Six Sigma 14
P Cost Estimate for how many hours to measure a part (Full first artcle) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A How Can I Estimate Cp? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2