Legacy Device UDI Requirements

Hello!

We are working on updating the UDI requirements for a class IIb device. The device is listed as a general device as for the old directive MDD/IVDD. Should one push for legacy device adoption in this case, i.e should we not adopt the new UDI Standards at this moment. Or should we reassess our product conformity to the directives of IVDR/MDR and begin the registration of a Basic UDI-DI for the Eudamed database. Because right now the EUDAMED database does not need a basic UDI-DI for legacy devices.

My question in short, is there some pros/cons regarding legacy devices or is it better to reassess the product, that is not on the market btw, to be compliant with the new directives, in short, give the product UDI information?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

mboynton

Starting to get Involved
Hi, I am assuming that, even though your device is not on the market, that you still have it covered under some pre-existing EU MDD certificate from a Notified Body (per EU MDR Article 120(3))? If not, then the legacy device pathway isn't available anyway. That is, perhaps unless you are saying in the first few sentences of your message that there is an up-classification affecting your device btw EU MDD and EU MDR?

Note that while you need to assign a Basic UDI-DI to an EU MDR device internally, you do not actually need to register that Basic UDI-DI in EUDAMED immediately. MDCG 2019-4 gives guidance on the transition period - https://ec.europa.eu/health/system/..._2019_4_devices_registration_eudamed_en_0.pdf

Also, the device does not need to be physically labeled with the UDI until the transition periods in Article 123, 3f and 3g.

Hello Thanks for answering!
Yes you are correct with your assumption, in this time we are covered during the pre-existing MDD. I know how to label and such, but what I dont know is if there is any pros/cons by choosing this path. We are at this moment valid for registration as a legacy device. But we can also choose to abandon that part and reclassify it as a new class C device regarding the new IVDR directive. I am wondering if which path er should pursue in this case. If there is some positives by choosing the legacy path or reclassification. The only thing I was able to see, regulatory wise atleast, was the diffrence in UDI classification. Where one does not need it and the other one does.

gabe2jadyn

Starting to get Involved
Hi! Does anyone know when we need to register our legacy device in EUDAMED? I have read conflicting information. Also, is labeling part of registration and if so, is it best to wait to register once we get our new EU labels? Thank you -

Hi!
I depends if your device is a MDR or IVDR device! The documents states that eudamed has to be “fully functional” which is hard to understand imo. 26 of May 2021 is the date for MDR products and 26 of May 2022 for IVDR products. You will have 18 months to complete this registration after each date. There is no labelling criteria for legacy devices, if your concern is UDI, except the registration of Eudamed DI/ID. You will need your SRN number to generate these numbers. If that’s what you mean by “EU labels”.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Legacy device EUDAMED registration EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Selling legacy device under MDD to India EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Clinical evaluation for legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Legacy Device Review CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Edward Reesor Reassigning GTIN to a legacy device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Unique Device Identifier for updates to legacy standalone software Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A DHF (Design History File) for a Legacy Product (Class iii Medical Device) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C Thoughts on validation of Legacy Systems for Medical Device Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E PMS record retention time for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Acquisitions - Legacy Devices UK Medical Device Regulations 0
M MDR transfer for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Legacy Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
marmotte MDD legacy until 2024 - EUDAMED, role (and cost!) of the EC Rep EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Basic UDI-DI and Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 19
A ISO 13485 procedure change and reflect to legacy manufacture items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational MDCG 2019-5 Registration of legacy devices in EUDAMED Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
Marc About These "Legacy Blogs" - 19 November 2018 Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Q New IVDR and Legacy Products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Identifying AS9100 for a Legacy Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
C Legacy Medical Devices -- RoHS compliance in 2014 or 2019? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
G Legacy Product - Do we need follow QSR 820? Design Verification and Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
C IEC 62304 conformity for 510k submission legacy product including software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C Legacy Products - Change in the Legal Manufacturer or EU Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Legacy Products and ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Combination Product - Legacy Drugs and Reclassification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Legacy Forms - Should Change Control apply to legacy forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Roh Moo-hyun leaves a legacy shaped by contradiction World News 0
B Legacy products in an AS9100 QMS precision machining job shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Document management software - Legacy document approval history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Telemedicine as a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
B X-Ray Sensor Device Symbols for IFU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
T FDA level of concern vs IEC 62304 safety classification - 510(k) exempt device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
F Using non-randomized clinical study for change in existing 510(k) device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1