Legacy Product - Do we need follow QSR 820? Design Verification and Validation

G

gxzn008

we had a legacy product that finished design five years ago, and we got 510K two years ago.
Recently we were noticed that FDA will audit our site this April.

Now I have a concern for design control, do we need to finish design verification and validation activities etc like new NPI?

Or we need not care about this legacy product, we just need to make sure the DMR available?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

You must demonstrate conformance with the rules that were applicable when the device was approved for marketing.

In some cases, you additionally may have to conform to rules that went into effect subsequently.

"Legacy" status would only excuse you from otherwise-applicable design control rules if you could prove that the product was marketed by you prior to 1976, when the current rules structure went into effect.

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions
we had a legacy product that finished design five years ago, and we got 510K two years ago.
Recently we were noticed that FDA will audit our site this April.

Now I have a concern for design control, do we need to finish design verification and validation activities etc like new NPI?

Or we need not care about this legacy product, we just need to make sure the DMR available?

The short answer is a definite “YES”.
You should be concern with the status of design control and all your design verification and validations activities. FDA inspector will also check for any product modifications to make sure that changes were documented appropriately and did not require a new 510(k) submission.

Consider yourself lucky that you located outside US and received 3 months’ notice. Please use this time appropriately.

Regards,
Michael

G

gxzn008

Actually we finished this product design activities very simple five years ago, so you mean we need to complete all the design documentation from design planning until to design transfer, it is a huge workload. :mad:

For design change,we had checked them to confirm if we need to submit special 510K.

So from your point of view, we still need to prepare all the design V&V documentation even though it is legacy product.

M

MIREGMGR

Actually we finished this product design activities very simple five years ago, so you mean we need to complete all the design documentation from design planning until to design transfer, it is a huge workload. :mad:
Considering that if such compliance did not occur when the product was originally developed its subsequent marketing in the US has been illegal, doing the work to retroactively comply so that further US marketing is justifiable doesn't seem out of line to me.

The alternative would be to stop marketing the product, of course. Even then you might be cited during the FDA inspection for past illegal practices.

So from your point of view, we still need to prepare all the design V&V documentation even though it is legacy product.
I'm not sure what significance "legacy product" has to you. It doesn't have any significance to US FDA unless the product was marketed prior to 1976.

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions
gxzn008,

Yes, you need to have updated V&V documentation. it should not be a "huge workload" if your company done the work 5 year ago.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Considering that if such compliance did not occur when the product was originally developed its subsequent marketing in the US has been illegal, doing the work to retroactively comply so that further US marketing is justifiable doesn't seem out of line to me.
Though this approach would definitely be "on the safe side", it seems a bit extreme to me. What if a device was developed by a non-USA manufacturer and marketed outside the USA, then 20 years later the manufacturer wishes to place it on the US market, submits a 510(k) and gets a SE letter - would you still say they have to redo their Design Control activity from 20 years earlier, to 21 CFR 820.30 standard (and regardless of any post-marketing experience gathered)?

The way I understand it (and I hope I'm not wrong), every foreign manufacturer is required to comply with the applicable FDA General Controls by the time their product is placed on the USA market (for that matter a 510(k) is a notification of intent to commence marketing in 90 days, so let's say this applies from 90 days after initial 510(k) submission, the latest). To me, that means that in cases where 820.30 applies, the foreign manufacturer has to have and follow the relevant procedures from that time onwards; If retroactive fabrication of records is required, where do you stop? And what about activities covered by part 820, other than Design Controls? Or other FDA General Controls? How far (and wide) does one go back?

To the OP - I find it a bit odd that your 510(k) was cleared without having compliant Design Control documentation, in the first place.

M

MIREGMGR

What if a device was developed by a non-USA manufacturer and marketed outside the USA, then 20 years later the manufacturer wishes to place it on the US market, submits a 510(k) and gets a SE letter - would you still say they have to redo their Design Control activity from 20 years earlier, to 21 CFR 820.30 standard (and regardless of any post-marketing experience gathered)?
I didn't say that. I said:

You must demonstrate conformance with the rules that were applicable when the device was approved for marketing.
Which is substantially what you said:

...every foreign manufacturer is required to comply with the applicable FDA General Controls by the time their product is placed on the USA market

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
B Identifying AS9100 for a Legacy Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A DHF (Design History File) for a Legacy Product (Class iii Medical Device) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C IEC 62304 conformity for 510k submission legacy product including software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A Combination Product - Legacy Drugs and Reclassification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M MDR transfer for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Legacy Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
marmotte MDD legacy until 2024 - EUDAMED, role (and cost!) of the EC Rep EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Basic UDI-DI and Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 19
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A ISO 13485 procedure change and reflect to legacy manufacture items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Legacy Device Review CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Edward Reesor Reassigning GTIN to a legacy device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Unique Device Identifier for updates to legacy standalone software Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational MDCG 2019-5 Registration of legacy devices in EUDAMED Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
Marc About These "Legacy Blogs" - 19 November 2018 Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Q New IVDR and Legacy Products EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Thoughts on validation of Legacy Systems for Medical Device Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Legacy Medical Devices -- RoHS compliance in 2014 or 2019? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
C Legacy Products - Change in the Legal Manufacturer or EU Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Legacy Products and ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Legacy Forms - Should Change Control apply to legacy forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Roh Moo-hyun leaves a legacy shaped by contradiction World News 0
B Legacy products in an AS9100 QMS precision machining job shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Document management software - Legacy document approval history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Enough for PSUR to cover product family? (Procedure packs, not the legal manufacturer) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Product registration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
V Product naming: Same name - different perfume & status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
E Marketing, product and system requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C PPAP requirements for consumer product APQP and PPAP 2
C How to place software version for SaMD product in HIBC secondary data structure (UDI-PI)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Classification of product (measuring or not?) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Ron Rompen 4.4.1.2 Product Safety Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
M Supplier Control for Unique Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Shelf life of product Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D One Software as Medical Device product or two? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Aerospace Product Key Characteristics AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5