Let's fix Six Sigma!

T

Tom Slack

The belted ones at Six Sigma consult in the area of data driven change. The data in this forum, however demonstrates that major changes are needed at Six Sigma.

WARNING !!! WARNING !!!! WARNING!!!

No one at Six Sigma has asked for our advice. In order for our recommendations to effective, we will probably want to use tactful language.

I have a few suggestions of my own, but I have to catch a plane. I will try post via Wi-Fi when available.

Best wishes,

Tom

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Lee

Trusted Information Resource
I've been in quality for a long time and I'm new to quality at the same time. You people know my story.

I entered quality when TQM was the big thing. I went through much TQM training and I had TOPS 8-D training with Ford Motor Company. I learned all about quality tools and then I learned more, as much as I could. Then I left quality for a while.

When I returned to quality I was desperate to learn what this new thing "Six Sigma" was all about. I mean, I knew in a statistical sense the significance of six sigma, but I did not know what "Six Sigma" meant. I did internet searches, I read trade journals, and I read about it in books. I still has not been proven to me that all of the old tools that have been around for decades have not been bundled together in a neat little package, tied up with a shiny new bow, and sold to a bunch of new managers as the answer to all of their problems.

In the end I quote: "That which has been, shall be. That which has been done, shall be done. And there is no new thing under the sun."

Someone, please prove to me otherwise.:2cents:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've been in quality for a long time and I'm new to quality at the same time. You people know my story.

I entered quality when TQM was the big thing. I went through much TQM training and I had TOPS 8-D training with Ford Motor Company. I learned all about quality tools and then I learned more, as much as I could. Then I left quality for a while.

When I returned to quality I was desperate to learn what this new thing "Six Sigma" was all about. I mean, I knew in a statistical sense the significance of six sigma, but I did not know what "Six Sigma" meant. I did internet searches, I read trade journals, and I read about it in books. I still has not been proven to me that all of the old tools that have been around for decades have not been bundled together in a neat little package, tied up with a shiny new bow, and sold to a bunch of new managers as the answer to all of their problems.

In the end I quote: "That which has been, shall be. That which has been done, shall be done. And there is no new thing under the sun."

Someone, please prove to me otherwise.:2cents:
Actually, the PRIMARY virtue of SS is precisely that it has spurred some managers to look at the Quality function of an organization in an economic light - as something that HELPS an organization versus creating a drag on profits.

In terms of the "tools of SS," I doubt there is any Quality professional worthy of the name who does not recognize the tools are really repackaged from previous generations, enhanced by the ease of computers to do the heavy lifting on the statistical calculations which were a real choke point back in Shewhart's days at Western Electric.

D

D.Scott

Adding to Wes' comments - I would agree there is no re-invention of the wheel. The same old tools are used in SS.

The wheel is still the same but how it is put on the car has changed. One of the beauties of SS is the discipline of a defined and planned project. It is one thing to have all the tools but another to know how and when to use them. SS is not so much about the tools as about what you do with them. The planning, coordination of team members, documentation and analysis of data and systematic drive to the next level of the project is, for me, the advantage of SS.

When I think of "fixing six sigma" I think not of the program itself but of the misuse of the program. I would venture to say, as with any discipline, Six Sigma has been beaten up so badly in some cases it wouldn't be recognizable.

As Wes pointed out management is spurred by the bottom line of economics however when SS is misused they see only the cost and a drag on their profits.

Yes, Six Sigma needs fixing. My observation is it isn't the system that is broken.

Dave

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The belted ones at Six Sigma consult in the area of data driven change. The data in this forum, however demonstrates that major changes are needed at Six Sigma.

WARNING !!! WARNING !!!! WARNING!!!

No one at Six Sigma has asked for our advice. In order for our recommendations to effective, we will probably want to use tactful language.

I have a few suggestions of my own, but I have to catch a plane. I will try post via Wi-Fi when available.

Best wishes,

Tom
At this point SS is a runaway train. Given enough time, it'll run out of fuel and slow to a stop on its own, and its passengers will sheepishly disembark and go find another ill-fated mode of transportation.

J

John Nabors - 2009

At this point SS is a runaway train. Given enough time, it'll run out of fuel and slow to a stop on its own, and its passengers will sheepishly disembark and go find another ill-fated mode of transportation.
At the current price of diesel it might be sooner than we think...

J

justncredible

I do not think so, the tools are very well proven, and as a packadge they without doubt work. For some places that have problems SS will be awesome, some places that have had a decent QE for years will not see much of a gain.

I think like TQM, it is very good, I also think SS is the natural progression of quality. With that I think the next level will be even more intensive, includeing more expanded toolsets to tackle more devirse problems.

The detractors, and that 4% who will never support or be happy with changes.

B

Bob Bonville

Having been around since "Zero Defects", actually even before that, I have seen all and used many of the concepts personally. Each tool has an application and each can and has been effective. I cannot argue with SS as a tool box of great concepts.

What I do have major heartburn with is when the company demands its use in every segment of the business regardless of the effectiveness of an operation, department or function which is exactly what Honeywell (errrr, I mean Allied Signal) did when they took Honeywell over.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
FWIW:
Many of the quality professionals who have a bad taste about SS are really fighting on TWO fronts:

1. Mikel Harry, the fellow who first exploited SS for personal financial gain, reminds a lot of folks of the failed Presidential candidate who went around with charts, declaiming to all and sundry, "It's just this easy!" (The plain fact is most quality initiatives take a lot of focus and attention, SS or not, to be successful.)
  2. Johnny Come-Lately types who seize on some miniscule aspect of SS and, like a five-year-old with a hammer, they think everything looks like a nail. There are a lot of tools out there, but these JCLs never make the effort to learn how to use them, but nevertheless proclaim themselves SS experts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The Improvement in Sigma Level (from Let's fix six sigma) Six Sigma 4
ScottK Let's Catch Up... what's happened to you since last June Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
E Contacting FDA via phone to let them know a Submission is Imminent Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Let's play... Classify My Medical Device!!! EU Medical Device Regulations 15
S Is it alright to let the supplier do all measurements and inspection? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J How many Major Nonconformances could let the Audit be Terminated? General Auditing Discussions 9
T Let's share ideas about an inspection problem.... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Let us Discuss ISO 9001's Tomorrow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N TL 9000 Starter - Please let me know if anyone has worked on TL 9000 Software Quality Assurance 1
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Hershal Congrats! Let's talk about top posters in the threads General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
R Quality Management System not active for 6 months. Registration let it Lapse or Fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How do you let customers know you are certified on your literature? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q How to write my CV if I was let go? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
A Quality Policy - Please let me know your opinions and comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
tony s Let the Registrar audit the Internal Audit process Internal Auditing 45
Claes Gefvenberg Let's do age! How 'Old' will you be in 2007? A poll - Version 3 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 91
K What do you expect from a new position? Let?s compare benefits Career and Occupation Discussions 18
Hershal Football! (OK, we will even let soccer come in) - Fall 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 162
H Benchmarks for Plastic Injection Molding - Let's Share! Benchmarking 18
Hershal MEMORIAL DAY 2007 - Let it be heard Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
WALLACE Useful PC software utilities let's share some info? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
Jim Wynne A Modest Proposal: Let's Get Rid of "Quality." Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 15
Douglas E. Purdy 7.5.2 e) Revalidation - Let me run this by you for verification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Steve Prevette Let's nominate a Cove'r for ASQ Board! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
Q And now, let's add software development - Medical Devices - Applying ISO9001:2000 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
E The Chit Chat and 'Let's Meet' Thread - Meeting Other Elsmar Cove Participants Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 186
E Let's do age! How 'Old' are you? A poll - Version 2 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 223
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G How to Fix Mis-Identified Dimensionally Identical Parts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Mikael How to fix a plastic bag on leg with a bandage to take a shower Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
M Can an Auditor introduce a Consultant to help fix NCs after the audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
N How to Fix this Problem that is caused by so many different issues... Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 20
K Is there a "maximum time limit" for nonconformity to fix? Internal Auditing 11
S Systemic Problems Identified in Audit and How to Fix Them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Questions pertaining to our last audit - Fix or Minimum Document Retention time? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S SW (Software) Deferred Bug Fix - FDA Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
M How to Fix the Standard Bar of a Screw Thread Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N IMDS Warnings - Customer Requesting Fix (removal of warnings) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 17
pammesue Too Many purchasing/supplier procedures How do I fix them? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
W A Diagnostic Exercise to Fix Problems - An Article Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
J Document control error - Root cause fix - Employee error Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 27
Marc Step by step, NASA is doing what it takes to 'fix the culture' Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0