Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts

MalibuJim

Starting to get Involved
A customer is requesting a Level 3 submission of machined piece parts. They state it is necessary to submit actual defective samples. i.e. parts outside of tolerance limits, visual dings, thread errors.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Any basis for this in industry specifications?

I have never observed anything like this except routine use of defective parts as a referee during visual inspection (i.e. burrs, discoloration, corrosion, etc.)

Thank You,

Jm

CCaantley

Involved In Discussions
We're in stamping, but our customer is also requesting a Level 3 submission even though parts are out of spec. I hate the idea of sending the parts in this condition, especially since SPC will fail.

Any other customer we've dealt with wouldn't accept it.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
A customer is requesting a Level 3 submission of machined piece parts. They state it is necessary to submit actual defective samples. i.e. parts outside of tolerance limits, visual dings, thread errors.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Any basis for this in industry specifications?

I have never observed anything like this except routine use of defective parts as a referee during visual inspection (i.e. burrs, discoloration, corrosion, etc.)

Thank You,

Jm
On the warrant, check the "No" box in the Submission Results section. Provide and explanation in the Explanation/Comments section. Use a second page if necessary. The customer should check "Other" in the Submission Results section and provide an brief explanation. Don't do any of this unless the customer has given you explicit written permission to submit nonconforming parts and has given you either a plan for obtaining full approval when the problems have been corrected.

Image 2.png

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
We will do it Jim's way when there is already a Change request being processed. A copy of the change request is usually made part of the PPAP submission. But in effect, the parts are actually conforming, they just don't know it yet. :)

Top Bottom